If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Notre Dame University
South Bend, Indiana

ND Hoops Official Site

Purcell Pavilion
Opened in 2009 - Seats 9149

Mike Brey
16th Season as ND Head Coach

2015-2016 Schedule/Results
  • 10/30 - St. Francis (IL) ............................... W, 87-56
    11/05 - Caldwell ........................................ W, 81-56
    11/13 - St. Francis (PA) .............................. W, 87-56
    11/17 - Milwaukee ..................................... W, 86-78
    11/21 - UMass-Lowell ................................. W, 83-57

Advocare Invitational at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex

11/26 - vs. Monmouth ................................. L, 70-68
    11/27 - vs. Iowa ........................................ W, 68-62
    11/29 - vs. Alabama ................................... L, 74-73

Big Ten/ACC Challenge
    12/02 - @ Illinois ....................................... W, 84-79

12/08 - Stony Brook ................................... W, 86-61
    12/13 - Loyola Chicago ............................... W, 81-61

Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis
    12/19 - vs. Indiana ..................................... L, 80-73

12/21 - Youngstown State ............................ W, 87-78
    12/29 - Liberty ........................................... 5:00 p.m. ET

Key Playera
    #11 Demetrius Jackson
    6' 1" 201 lbs Junior Point Guard
    Thru 11 Games: Averaging 16.9 Pts, 3.9 Rebs & 5.0 Assists + 39.0 3Pt%

#30 Zach Auguste
    6' 10" 245 lbs Forward
    Thru 11 Games: Averaging 14.4 Pts, 10.1 Rebs, 2.2 Assists & 1.3 Blocks + 55.4 FG%
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
ARE YOU READY FOR A BEATDOWN!!!!!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Little known fact--LU's resident population of 14,500 students is nearly 6,000 more students than Notre Dame's resident population of only 8,551.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Little known fact--LU's resident population of 14,500 students is nearly 6,000 more students than Notre Dame's resident population of only 8,551.
#SmallCatholicSchoolFromIndiana
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
No need to exhume Dr. Falwell for this one. His dream of whipping Notre Dame in South Bend isn't going to happen here.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU almost beat them at the Quiz Bowl nationals last year, leading for 3 quarters before a disputed question went the way of the Fighting Irish. :frustrated
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Both Kemrite and Hiepler is the starting lineup, along with Dawson, Cabbil, and Maxwell.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU only down by 9 at the half and have missed several layups.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It was nice to see them at least compete. Played much better than I anticipated. Hopefully this is a positive sign going into conference play.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I really don't get what Ritchie sees in Ryan Hiepler. In the last 4 games he has played 101 minutes and scored 5 points (all against St. Francis). Time to give some of those minutes to more productive players like Homesley and Talbert. Breakout game for Homesley, who is just really starting to feel comfortable on a reconstructed knee following an ACL last year in HS.

I found it kind of humerous that Alfonso Ellis is much more optimistic about our team than flamefans own resident basketball anylist. Play Basketball To be fair, I do think Fonz may have been a bit too effusive in his praise at times.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Who are #4 and #44? I coulda been D1!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
#44 is Ryan Hiepler, that olldfame has been referencing; #4 is Hansil Atensia, who turned down a Marshall scholarship to come here. You really should read an LU roster sometime, Purple. It even comes with pictures! :fineprint

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 1&TeamID=6
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:#44 is Ryan Hiepler, that olldfame has been referencing; #4 is Hansil Atensia, who turned down a Marshall scholarship to come here. You really should read an LU roster sometime, Purple. It even comes with pictures! :fineprint

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 1&TeamID=6
Too difficult !

I only saw a little of the game but Hansil wasn't impressive. Hiepler........is unselfish?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I really don't get what Ritchie sees in Ryan Hiepler. In the last 4 games he has played 101 minutes and scored 5 points (all against St. Francis). Time to give some of those minutes to more productive players like Homesley and Talbert. Breakout game for Homesley, who is just really starting to feel comfortable on a reconstructed knee following an ACL last year in HS.

I found it kind of humerous that Alfonso Ellis is much more optimistic about our team than flamefans own resident basketball anylist. Play Basketball To be fair, I do think Fonz may have been a bit too effusive in his praise at times.
Phonz is a good dude. I have gotten to know him a little the past few years since he used to always cover the Big South Tournament. Yes he was gushing at times about our team. He had to lean that way a little more because ESPN knew it was a dog of a game and because he played at Notre Dame so he didn't want to appear too biased.
By JVP21
olldflame wrote:I really don't get what Ritchie sees in Ryan Hiepler. In the last 4 games he has played 101 minutes and scored 5 points (all against St. Francis). Time to give some of those minutes to more productive players like Homesley and Talbert. Breakout game for Homesley, who is just really starting to feel comfortable on a reconstructed knee following an ACL last year in HS.

From a fan's perspective, it is confusing to see a player like Hiepler starting over what seem like much better options. But from a coach's perspectve, Hiepler has 5 TOs on the year in over 200 minutes of play. That is valuable to a coach. A coach doesn't always need 5 scoring threats on the floor, especially if the ball never makes it to those players. Also a coach sees the little "glue" things that a player like Hiepler brings to the table. He turned the ball over last night and was the first player back on defense and established position to take a charge on a call that could have gone either way. Unfortunately ND got 3 the hard way. If Hiepler gets that charge call, we are all applauding his hustle and effort. Theres always a couple ways to look at things.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The big man hit on a key point...while he may not be filling up the stat sheet, he is doing the things that do not normally show up in the boxscore, and that is something that RMK has definitely taken note of. Would you rather have a player that hustles back on D and averages about 1 turnover per 40 minutes even though he only averages about 5 points, or a player that gives up an easy layup because he didn't get back on D, averages 4 or 5 turnovers per 40 minutes, but averages in double figures for points?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The 2-28 record is the worst calendar year [2015] the Flames have ever suffered in program history since Liberty moved to Division I prior to the 1988-89 season.
This is a mind-boggling statistic to think that our 2015 was WORSE than any calendar year when Hanky coached. :shock:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:The big man hit on a key point...while he may not be filling up the stat sheet, he is doing the things that do not normally show up in the boxscore, and that is something that RMK has definitely taken note of. Would you rather have a player that hustles back on D and averages about 1 turnover per 40 minutes even though he only averages about 5 points, or a player that gives up an easy layup because he didn't get back on D, averages 4 or 5 turnovers per 40 minutes, but averages in double figures for points?
Depends on the player. Yes there are things to look at but Don Nelson would lovingly refer to the guy as 'a stiff'.
If you are a primary ball handler, 1 TO per 40 minutes is awesome. If you are a warm body on the floor, hustling and having only 1 TO is expected. You also falsely say the kid has to be a scorer How about just a lock down defender? Or great rebounder? IMO, RMK wants someone talented coming off the bench, which is fine.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Would you rather have a player that hustles back on D and averages about 1 turnover per 40 minutes even though he only averages about 5 points, or a player that gives up an easy layup because he didn't get back on D, averages 4 or 5 turnovers per 40 minutes, but averages in double figures for points?
BJ, Hiepler is averaging 1.2 PPG and has started 6 of them; his PPG average is even lower than Sam Worman's (whoever that is).

http://www.liberty.edu/wwwadmin/globals ... 1615_C.HTM
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:The big man hit on a key point...while he may not be filling up the stat sheet, he is doing the things that do not normally show up in the boxscore, and that is something that RMK has definitely taken note of. Would you rather have a player that hustles back on D and averages about 1 turnover per 40 minutes even though he only averages about 5 points, or a player that gives up an easy layup because he didn't get back on D, averages 4 or 5 turnovers per 40 minutes, but averages in double figures for points?
Depends on the player. Yes there are things to look at but Don Nelson would lovingly refer to the guy as 'a stiff'.
If you are a primary ball handler, 1 TO per 40 minutes is awesome. If you are a warm body on the floor, hustling and having only 1 TO is expected. You also falsely say the kid has to be a scorer How about just a lock down defender? Or great rebounder? IMO, RMK wants someone talented coming off the bench, which is fine.
Point taken coach...and thanks for the exact numbers Cider
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry defea[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]