If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, Virginia

VCU Hoops Official Site

Siegel Center
Opened in 1999 - Seats 7500

Will Wade
1st Season as VCU Head Coach

2015-2016 Schedule/Results

• Nov 13 Prairie View ........................ W 75-50
    Nov 16 Radford .............................. W 92-74

2K Sports Classic at Madison Square Garden in NYC
    Nov 20 vs. #5 Duke ........................ L 79-71
    Nov 22 vs. Wisconsin ...................... L 74-73

Nov 25 American ............................ W 72-44
    Nov 28 Old Dominion ...................... W 76-67
    Dec 02 @ MTSU ............................. W 62-56
    Dec 06 vs. Florida St. in Atlanta ........ L 76-71
    Dec 15 @ Georgia Tech .................... L 77-64
    Dec 19 #23 Cincinnati ...................... L 69-63
    Dec 22 Buffalo ................................ 7:00 PM
    Dec 27 Liberty ................................ 5:00 PM

Key Player

#32 Melvin Johnson
    6' 4" 190 lbs Senior Guard
    Thru 10 Games: Averaging 17.8 Pts, 1.9 Rebs & 2.4 Assists + 36-of-84 (42.9%) on 3-Pt Attempts + 90.9 FT%
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
They beat Radford by almost 20?!
By Equinox
Registration Days Posts
I was at the St. Francis game and Dawson is legit. However it’s clear to see his game right now is just athleticism and instincts. Once he understands the offensive / defensive sets and can consistently get some drives to the basket or low post play to / from Maxwell, the floor will then open up for this kid. Right now the team clearly lacks depth and talent from the bench, but hopefully they will be a force in the Big South…………next year or early 2017.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:This is not a knock on Dawson but the over hyping of him by some on this board is nauseating.
But don't you understand? He's our Christmas miracle!! Play Basketball

I agree with you. I think it may be his kid brothers.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I can't wait until he scores 100.
By Flamerz
Equinox wrote:I was at the St. Francis game and Dawson is legit. However it’s clear to see his game right now is just athleticism and instincts. Once he understands the offensive / defensive sets and can consistently get some drives to the basket or low post play to / from Maxwell, the floor will then open up for this kid. Right now the team clearly lacks depth and talent from the bench, but hopefully they will be a force in the Big South…………next year or early 2017.

Yea its a process thats gonna take a couple years to watch grow. Nothings happening this year. The talent just isnt in place yet.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:I can't wait until he scores 100.
And then has a solid 2nd half
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I think Dawson has shown he will be an impact player for us, but so far that impact has been reduced by foul trouble. He has made a rep playing agressive D in practice for the past year, which is something coaches love to see, and I think they hesitate to pour water on that agressiveness by calling fouls. Hopefully he has had enough game action with officiating now to know what he can get away with and what he can't.
By jmmiii
Registration Days Posts
Saw the team leaving the hotel next door to the Boathouse at Short Pump this morning. Go Flames!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
At the 10-minute mark in the first half, VCU is leading 23-9.
By PAFlame
Hard to win games like this when the offense is pass it around the perimeter and shoot contested 3s. Maxwell is also getting very good looks underneath, which is disheartening.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
45-16 at the half. :shock:
By Flamerz
Cider Jim wrote:45-16 at the half. :shock:
They are who we thought they were...... we coulda easily lost by 55.

We did outscore them 41-40 in the second half but we got outscored 45-16 in the first.

We have the youngest team in the Nation.... This thing is gonna take some time.
Last edited by Flamerz on December 27th, 2015, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU outscores VCU by one point in the second half, but LU falls 85-57.
By Flame
I liked that line-up that was in for a few possessions in the second half with Dawson, Cabbil, Kemrite, Talbert,& Maxwell. The pack line defense was working well and we were scoring. All those players can score which should open things up more for our #1 option: Maxwell.
By Flamerz
Flame wrote:I liked that line-up that was in for a few possessions in the second half with Dawson, Cabbil, Kemrite, Talbert,& Maxwell. The pack line defense was working well and we were scoring. All those players can score which should open things up more for our #1 option: Maxwell.
Homesley being dropped out of the starting lineup and playing just 12 minutes was a good move. Kemrite can at least make shots.
By Indiana 1
I attended the game with my daughter who is a graduate of VCU. Pleasantly surprised at the size of the crowd, the game was sold out. The first half of the game was difficult to watch with Liberty only scoring 16 points. However, the scond half was filled with several plays/baskets that were very impressive. It's those types of plays that make me optimistic that next year will be better.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Indiana 1 wrote:I attended the game with my daughter who is a graduate of VCU. Pleasantly surprised at the size of the crowd, the game was sold out. The first half of the game was difficult to watch with Liberty only scoring 16 points. However, the scond half was filled with several plays/baskets that were very impressive. It's those types of plays that make me optimistic that next year will be better.
All VCU Games are sold out regardless of opponent. They are a top 10 team in terms of atmosphere in the nation. If we hadn't moved to Atlanta this summer I certainly would have been in the house. I never missed a game when I was in town the past several years. This season's VCU team is not nearly the same defensively as they were under Shaka Smart the past 6 seasons but they are still really intense in their building.

Quite honestly I am really glad I wasn't there. It is hard not to be embarrassed by the level of basketball Liberty has been putting out on the court the past few seasons. I was hoping this would change sooner than it appears that it is going to. This season may end up being the worst on record in the 25 plus years of division 1 basketball. I know this is Ritchie's 1st season but I have to tell you guys that I expected it to be better than this. I'm not sure there is a division 1 team in America that this team can beat based on what we have seen so far. They can compete and play hard but over the course of 40 minutes the lack of ability to close comes to light.

Football and Basketball right now is not where any of us want them to be. Add to that the tremendous amount of resources being spent on both programs and it really just magnifies the whole situation. I am a Liberty guy and as black alum I want TG and RMK to succeed more than you guys can imagine. I hope it turns around soon.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think its safe to say we all do SCAR, but as bad as the record looks, we ALL have to trust that coach McKay knows what he is doing and "trust the process".
If he wanted to do a one year reclamation project on this team, we probably would not have had the amount of attrition that we had after he came in. He is building for the future at this point, and while the wins are not there right now, these guys are buying into what he is doing which helps team chemistry for next year and beyond.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:
Indiana 1 wrote:I attended the game with my daughter who is a graduate of VCU. Pleasantly surprised at the size of the crowd, the game was sold out. The first half of the game was difficult to watch with Liberty only scoring 16 points. However, the scond half was filled with several plays/baskets that were very impressive. It's those types of plays that make me optimistic that next year will be better.
All VCU Games are sold out regardless of opponent. They are a top 10 team in terms of atmosphere in the nation. If we hadn't moved to Atlanta this summer I certainly would have been in the house. I never missed a game when I was in town the past several years. This season's VCU team is not nearly the same defensively as they were under Shaka Smart the past 6 seasons but they are still really intense in their building.

Quite honestly I am really glad I wasn't there. It is hard not to be embarrassed by the level of basketball Liberty has been putting out on the court the past few seasons. I was hoping this would change sooner than it appears that it is going to. This season may end up being the worst on record in the 25 plus years of division 1 basketball. I know this is Ritchie's 1st season but I have to tell you guys that I expected it to be better than this. I'm not sure there is a division 1 team in America that this team can beat based on what we have seen so far. They can compete and play hard but over the course of 40 minutes the lack of ability to close comes to light.

Football and Basketball right now is not where any of us want them to be. Add to that the tremendous amount of resources being spent on both programs and it really just magnifies the whole situation. I am a Liberty guy and as black alum I want TG and RMK to succeed more than you guys can imagine. I hope it turns around soon.
I really thought this team would be hard pressed to win 5-6 games. The reasonsf or this were obvious before the season even started and though this undersized, undermanned, inexperienced. no depth, and mostly underclassmen are putting forth a good effort ther is just not enough in the tank when compared to basically every other D1 team in the country. McKay's job will be to keep the kids focused on the system and not the wins and keep preaching effort with the hope of getting better results each and every game. My heart goes out to the kids and the coaches. I know we'll be in a better place two years from now, a much better place Play Basketball

As for football the future is bright given the quality of players being recruited in the last 2-3 years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]