If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By midwestbbfan
Registration Days
I have a son that has been an All-State SG here in the Midwest. He has been recruited by two HM schools and quite a few MM schools. He has expressed an interest in a Christian University where the Coaching Staff and players have their priorities more in order. Behind closed doors, many D1 programs can get somewhat ugly and do not allow the resources for spiritual growth of a player. He has played in HS with a hard-nosed Head Coach and that does not bother him, but would like a balance between basketball, academics and personal growth. Can you give me your honest impressions of Liberty University's program including Coach Dunton and his Staff? Thanks . . .
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You are going to get varying reviews of Coach Dunton considering we are coming off a couple of disappointing seasons. But I don't think you will have anyone on here questioning his character or the opportunity for spiritual growth of the athletes on campus. The Faith in the Furnace program is evidence of that.

I'll admit I have very biased opinions as an alum, but I would not only have no problems with my sojn going to LU but would encourage it. I also consider myself a Coach Dunton backer.

On a strictly basketball note, our outstanding SG Larry Blair is a senior this season so we will have plenty of minutes up for grab after this season at the 2-hole. Just something to factor into the equation.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
The opportunity for spiritual growth is here...but they have to want it.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
As sly said, there are varying opinions on this question, as there probably are on most. I say, having your son at Liberty, and under Coach Dunton, will have a major positive impact on him for the rest of his life, and will impact your grandchildren as well. How happy you will be basketball-wise will probably have something to do with how many minutes your son is able to get. You indicate that he is a quality player, so that may never be a problem.

God bless -
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
I agree with the other posters. I'm an alum and I covered the basketball team fairly close as a reporter for the student paper for 2.5 years. Granted, some of this was with a different coach, but I think if your son chooses Liberty he will get a well rounded education and a plethora of opportunties for spirtual growth. I'm sure other Flamefans members could put you in touch with former players who have played for Dunton. Some of them even post on this site.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
There are indeed some former players who post here and will provide you some quality insight. What I can say for sure is LU will provide your son a great opportunity for spiritual growth in a balanced enviornment and a life-changing experience. I know LU has made a major impact on my life and I was a student-athlete there 30+ years ago, (they call me an old hag here for some reason).

"Why not LU"
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
the guys on here are 100% correct. i think in the long run going to the school will benifit him big time. if you won't take it from these guys, take it from someone who is around the program everyday. coach D will bring out the best in your son athletically and our program does a great job at keeping these guys focused spiritually. we pray after every practice and meeting, and we have weekly scripture memorization. really, there is no better place to play the sport you love and grow in your faith. and as i said in another thread, coach D has just recently led larry franklin to the lord and has brew growing in his faith. so if your really looking for a place to be not only challenged on the court but off by his coach, then LU is the place, and coach D can be a big part in his life.
By midwestbbfan
Registration Days
I greatly appreciate your responses. I am not at all surprised and it's really what I am hoping to hear. Division 1 basketball is serious business, but it is great to hear of an atmosphere where (even though it is serious and competitive as it should be) spiritual life is very important. It also sounds like there are some great fans.

Thanks again . . .

(Any more imput is still welcome!)
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
knowing coach D personally, he will challenge him both atheltically and spiritually. yes there are some dunton bashers, but there are always gonna be "haters" at any school, esp after a few losing seasons, but i think you will see a better product this year. LU is a quality, growing school that im sure your son would like.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
When I first came to LU, I was a little skeptical, and thought I would never fall in love with the place. Man, was I wrong! This place is awesome! I just graduated in May, and I miss it so bad (don't tell my wife). The times I had there were great. It was a great place to get a good education, enjoy some D-1 athletics (which I still attend as often as possible), and grow in my spiritual walk with Christ. I will always look back on those years as some of the best I have ever had. I will continue to devote myself to the athletic program because that's where my heart is.
By HarrisburgFlame
Registration Days Posts
I can offer both sides of the equation because of my experience. I went to Liberty back in the Fall of 86 (17 years old when I enrolled). I thought I could play D-I baseball and wanted to stay close to home and give it a shot. I had been going to LU/LBC athletic events forever - I considered myself to be a Flames fan. I liked everyone I met and really liked Coach Richardson. They ran us through drills and Coach R came to me after about a week of try outs and cuts and told me to go to the bullpen and throw with Coach Mincey. I had been working as an outfielder but I was a pitcher in high school and I thought this is my chance to get noticed. Only thing was after the high school season, playing ball all summer, pitching in the Dixie Majors playoffs when I shouldn't have - my arm was shot. When we went to the pen I had nothing on the ball. No movement - everything was flat. I did manage to break off a nice curve or two - my change up was my fastball. I could throw in the high 70's low 80's but I wasn't close to having anything on the ball that was D-I. I told Coach M my arm was bugging me. After practice they told me to rest for the Fall and try again. I was still pretty disappointed because at that time in my life I wanted to play ball and that's about it. Liberty had a darn good program back then too for baseball.

I liked the people I met at LU - the girls were smoking hot back in the day. Everyone was so nice. I got busted once or twice for throwing in a dip - but that was the extent of my behavioral issues there. But I really wanted to play ball and rather than chance getting cut in the spring I applied to a smaller college - got accepted - finished my year at LU and then left for greener pastures. What I didn't know was that in just that short amount of time at Liberty - those lessons would be with me for the rest of my life. I was raised a Christian but developed more in one year of "Bible Boot Camp" than in my previous years combined. So off I went, made the baseball team at the other school and started partying. A little too much partying. I had made the grades at LU because they helped keep me straight with the rules. I had been going to chapel and getting a nice dose of tips for good daily living. Now I playing ball with 22 guys who liked to knock down the booze 4 or 5 nights a week. I almost flunked out. One night a bunch of us got locked up for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. We had a good baseball team - we had some hard drinkers too. I struggled academically because I liked bar hopping, running smack on the chicks - all the "college" activities (no drugs though - never my thing). Had I been in a better environment I probably wouldn't have struggled as much. I needed someone to stay on me because I was pretty immature.

I finished school and went on to coach for a few years before moving into the "real world". I matured a bit. Started a family, and so on and so forth. The lessons I learned through my spritual development at LU haunted me in that I knew I was underachieving where it counted most. A few years ago I enrolled at Penn State for my MBA. About that time LU was playing SJU in the NCAA basketball tourney. Living up here in PA I found myself getting into it wih the locals about LU. You would not believe some of the ignorance when it comes to Liberty. Even at work - guys would get on me about being a "Falwell guy". As odd as this seems I felt called to finish what I started - I left PSU and enrolled at LU for my MBA. I wanted a degree from Liberty. I wanted Liberty on my consulting bio that is sent to prospective clients. I wanted to be in a program where I could share business principles with other like minded people. I have no regrets on that decision.

I do think I would have gained more academically and spiritually had I stayed at Liberty. I always felt like I missed out not staying at LU the first time. LU is a special place and the lessons I learned while there led me to listen to the voice leading me. I got involved in a growing local church. Started taking the lead on my kids with spiritual development. Granted these aren't Liberty's ideas - they are God's - but I had them pounded into my head while at LU. It stuck with me. My wife has been to Liberty a few times and we would love to see all three of our kids go there. LU stands for something in a day that it is hip to stand for something wrong. When those girls made the Sweet 16 run a few years ago it was sweet in more ways than one. I'm a sports nut and we're a sports culture. I hope to see one day where our sports are on the national scene. Let everyone see for themselves what LU is all about. I know where I am sending my money and what kind of program I chose to support.

I pray your son will make a good decision. I just felt like I should offer my two cents. If nothing else, hang on the board with us. We need all the positive karma we can get.

Go Flames.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Karma is for Buddhists! :wink:
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
'Harrisburg Flamer' --- The man didn't want your whole life history... you should just call the guy or fly out to the midwest and have an in home visit with him... And by the way anytime you go over 3 paragraphs it's way more than 2 cents.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
while it probably was about 78 cents worth, it's probably the exact type of thing our recruit was looking for.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Killn'emsoftly wrote:'Harrisburg Flamer' --- The man didn't want your whole life history... you should just call the guy or fly out to the midwest and have an in home visit with him... And by the way anytime you go over 3 paragraphs it's way more than 2 cents.
no running smack on my fellow PA guy

he made a GREAT point about the life-long effect ANY amount of time spent at Liberty can have.

I echo his sentiment- also a young punk back in my day, also left LU prematurely, also look back on my time there fondly and now have a committment to the school that can only come from the heart.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Don't listen to Killen em. He's still a young punk :lol: No really HBF and Medic are 2 guys that I can vouch for as far as being great people from the State of PA and huge supporters of Liberty athletics. Driving down to tailgate with us is a pretty good commitment. I think if Liberty is a school that this young man is interested in he should listen to us on this board but more importantly come down for a college for a weekend and see it all in person. www.liberty.edu has the dates I am sure.
By HarrisburgFlame
Registration Days Posts
I'm sure Killen' Em is OK - maybe the "flamer" comment was a Freudian slip - haha. No hard feelings man. As for the life story - you'll have to wait for the movie - it has a happy ending. I wasn't trying to be sappy but I do think LU has a higher calling as an institution and if some find that corny then maybe they don't get what LU is all about. It's not for everyone. I didn't think it was for me but it was. If my "2 cents" contributes in any way to helping a kid make a decision then it was worth the six hours it took for me to write it.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
HF..you are right on man. good insight that this kid could take to heart.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
I enjoyed HarrisburgFlame's letter all the way. It would work on a Sunday Morning. Thanks
By WWJFD
Registration Days Posts
Why don't you get in contact with Coach Sherard who is the Director of Recruiting on the basketball team. His email is asherard@liberty.edu Coach Sherard is very approachable and a great communicator.

If your son is as good as you are saying; I am sure the staff would like to know more about him. I think it is great to hear about the spiritual aspect in a young man's athletic career.

Good luck to you son and give Coach Sherard a message.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
Nice story HburgFlame. That's pretty much what its all about.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I will add a word of caution (Hands up who is suprised?)
Coaches come and go, and ours may go soon or he may stay forever. It is not a good idea to base a college choice on the head coach, especially at this level. Very transient.
Spiritually? It is there for the taking. Your son will have access to spiritual growth opportunities that public schools can not offer. BUT, will he grow in this environment? Would he grow more being a "missionary" at a "secular" campus? Would his spiritual growth be stunted or even killed being surrounded by this environment? If you thnk I am exaggerating, look at some of the addiction and divorce studies of seminary students (not LU specific).
Academics. 20 years after college the only thing people care about is "Do you have a college degree". 75%+ of students who graduate with a degree end up pursuing careers in other fields. Does your son want to major in something specific or is it more generalized like "business" "Communications" "Psychology". From the unique perspective I have I can say that LU academics are not going to be ranked up as Ivy League level anytime soon. There are some great degree programs (Religion and Nursing come to mind) but others are either very average or below average. BUT, a college degree is a college degree.
He is your son. You know the answers to these questions better then we do. But they are some "outside" the box questions that you may want to look at. Coming from the Midwest, there are PLENTY of good Christian Universities and Colleges in that area.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Spiritually? It is there for the taking. Your son will have access to spiritual growth opportunities that public schools can not offer. BUT, will he grow in this environment? Would he grow more being a "missionary" at a "secular" campus? Would his spiritual growth be stunted or even killed being surrounded by this environment? If you thnk I am exaggerating, look at some of the addiction and divorce studies of seminary students (not LU specific).
That's probably the one thing people at LU don't talk about. You have the opportunities to grow, but sometimes it's much easier to fall than it is to grow here.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
It is what you make of it. In my experience, you get exactly what you want to get at LU.
2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]

2024 Season Thread

Thanks for the work you put into these. It is appr[…]