If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Brock Gardner
6' 7" 210 lbs Small Forward
Chandler (AZ) Tri-Cities Christian

FlamesNation Profile

ESPN Profile 3- :star

Rivals Profile

VerbalCommits Profile

[youtube]
[/youtube]

[youtube]
[/youtube]

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Holds Offers from (As of 9/21/15):
  • Air Force
    Cal-Davis
    Central Arkansas
    Columbia
    Dartmouth
    Lehigh
    Liberty
    UTEP

azcentral.com wrote:Tri-City Christian's Brock Gardner commits to Liberty University
Richard Obert, azcentral sports 10:38 a.m. MST September 21, 2015

(Photo: David Kadlubowski/azcentral sports)

Chandler Tri-City Christian 6-foot-7 senior Brock Gardner gave a commitment to Liberty University on Sunday night, following his official visit to the Virginia school over the weekend.

Gardner, who averaged 25.8 points, 9.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists last season playing in the Canyon Athletic Association, connected with head coach Ritchie McKay, his staff and the players.
Click Here for Full Story
By FlameFan11
Great start for Gardner. Love seeing the assist total. Would love to see Liberty make a play for his teammate. Looks to be an athletic big man at 6'8" plus love the 7'2" wingspan. We could definitely use the interior presence especially on the defensive end.

Did see that Barmore scored 29 points in their season opener last night. His Seneca HS team won 80-65 over Greater Atlanta Christian.

Talbert has his season opener on Friday night. 2017 Verbal Commit Cuffee doesn't start his season until December 11th.

Great to see these guys playing well. Here's hoping for a healthy season for all of them.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I´m a bit surprised to see Barmore still scoring that much with the addition of College of Charleston commit and combo guard Brevan Galloway, who transferred in along with his younger brother, who is a talented 6´4¨swing. I thought ZayZay would take more of a playmakers role, but maybe scoring in the high 20s is just who he is. No complaints here. :wink:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:Great start for Gardner. Love seeing the assist total. Would love to see Liberty make a play for his teammate. Looks to be an athletic big man at 6'8" plus love the 7'2" wingspan. We could definitely use the interior presence especially on the defensive end.

Did see that Barmore scored 29 points in their season opener last night. His Seneca HS team won 80-65 over Greater Atlanta Christian.

Talbert has his season opener on Friday night. 2017 Verbal Commit Cuffee doesn't start his season until December 11th.

Great to see these guys playing well. Here's hoping for a healthy season for all of them.
The scholarship situation for 17 is tight to say the least, and it seems right now we are all in on Brendon Newton, but that could change. Shadd may very well be a better player. He looks to be more developed offensively and is clearly more athletic.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
With their other star player Nigel Shadd playing only 15 minutes due to foul trouble, Brock led his team to a win from 12 down with.......... get this................ 44 points, 21 rebounds and 5 assists. :shock: :shock: :shock:

By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Just something to think about, but Tri-City plays a bunch of schools I've never heard of, so I wonder about the level of competition this kid is seeing on a night-in, night-out basis. He's not going against any of the top public schools, or even the best privates like St. Mary's or Brophy or Scottsdale Christian. I lived in Arizona for eight years and don't recognize anyone on that schedule.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I can´t speak to specific opponents, but overall the level of competition is not high at all. Mostly small christian schools. He certainly wouldn´t be putting up numbers like that against the top schools, but then who does? Brock played AAU ball at the highest levels and while he didn´t have gaudy stats like those, it was there he impressed enough schools to get 9 D1 offers.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
No doubt, and I wasn't necessarily trying to slight the kid. If you can play, you can play. And the summer circuit gives a much better read than prep competition anyway. Was just really an observation on the fact that I had just never heard of any of that competition.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
He showed he can take a game over given the chance. Hope he ups his game with the increase in DoD in competition
By FlameFan11
Club competition solidifies HS level concerns for coaches. I'm always interested in who guys are playing so looked it up. Looks like none of these schools on the schedule are Christian schools, mostly charter schools in the 500-1800 enrollment size. Gardner's high school is listed at only 95 students so playing much larger schools. Tri-City plays Phoenix Metro Tech next game. Looked up info has listed enrollment of 1785 students last year, school founded in 1985, is in Phoenix union school district with South Mtn HS and others.

Video was posted of fall scrimmage with Hamilton HS, listed enrollment of 3465 students and Fountain Hills who had 20-5 record last season. Here is video.

Obviously, high school competition on any level is rarely D1 caliber. This other team had to be decent. They were beating a team with 2 D1 players by double digits. Dropping 44 points, 21 boards and 5 assists in a 32 minute game looks pretty good to me. Especially given the way our offense has been so bogged down the last few weeks. We could use all the offensive firepower we can get.
By FlameFan11
Congratulations to Brock Gardner who was named Arizona Preps Player of the Year. I will attach a link to the article. He was also named Canyon Athletic Association Player of the Year for the 3rd Time and PrepHoopAZ Top 5 Seniors in Arizona.

For those questioning competition level, I read on the ArizonaPreps.com website about Anthony Ray who runs the company. He has been doing this for 20 years and coached players like Jerryd Bayless and Isaiah Thomas currently in the NBA. In this article he says, "Our staff watched Gardner perform on numerous occasions this high school season, and marveled as Gardner turned in the best individual performances we saw all season. For any doubters out there, it didn't matter who Gardner played against this season, he was unstoppable when he made up his mind to make a play for his team. He was the best player in the state this high school season - regardless of school, class or grade."

Here is the link for the full article. https://arizonapreps.com/2016-arizona-p ... ck-gardner

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Quote from the above article:
He was the best player in the state this high school season - regardless of school, class or grade.
And his sister played volleyball for Arizona State.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Quote from the above article:
He was the best player in the state this high school season - regardless of school, class or grade.
And his sister played volleyball for Arizona State.
She not only played there, she broke the school récord for career kills and was all Pac-10 3 times.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Olldflame, the article also mentioned that his older brother played college ball, but it didn't mention where. Do you (or anyone else) know where his brother played college hoops?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]