If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
There was actually some discussion of Elijah reclassifying and coming to Liberty this year, but apparently that didn't work out, so I guess this was the next best thing I'd love to see Brendan Newton join him, so he can play against a higher level of competition his Senior year
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I suddenly have an urge to attend a high school basketball game, something that I haven't done in nearly 40 years. Play Basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Elijah's coach at Poca announced in May he was not returning this year You have to believe that played a role in this decision If you are going to be adjusting to a new coach anyway, why not look at all your options
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:will he be eligible to play this year? I thought there were transfer rules?
I don't know for a fact but wouldn't that only apply if you are living in the same area as your previous school?
flamehunter wrote:
prototype wrote:will he be eligible to play this year? I thought there were transfer rules?
I don't know for a fact but wouldn't that only apply if you are living in the same area as your previous school?
I'm with Proto on this one. If he could re classify and now he shows up at LCA....there might be some interested VHSL coaches wanting some more info
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
flamehunter wrote:
I'm with Proto on this one. If he could re classify and now he shows up at LCA....there might be some interested VHSL coaches wanting some more info
As far as re-classification is concerned, Elijah has always been class of 2017, and that is not changing My understanding is that changing to 16 and enrolling at Liberty this Fall was looked into, but it turned out it was not possible I believe you are thinking about a situation where the class is moved BACK a year and then you transfer to a private school, which raises red flags

I would think the LCA folks have done their homework on this (with some possible technical assistance from RMK and staff) Keep in mind, both of Cuffee's parents are Liberty alumni, so it is highly likely they have legitimate family reasons to move to Lynchburg as well
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Lots of quotes from Elijah's Dad and clarifications of the process in this article. It also mentions that Elijah's little sister has already been offered by Carey as well ...
Charleston (WV) Gazette-Mail wrote:Poca’s Elijah Cuffee transferring to Liberty Christian in Virginia

Rick Ryan , Sports Writer
August 4, 2016

KENNY KEMP| Gazette-Mail
Poca’s Elijah Cuffee drives past Westside’s Justin Cogar. The Class AA all-state selection will transfer from Poca to Liberty Christian Academy in Lynchburg, Virginia, for his senior season.

Elijah Cuffee, a two-time first-team all-state player from Poca, has decided to transfer for his senior year to Liberty Christian Academy in Lynchburg, Virginia.

In September, the 6-foot-3 1/4, 185-pound guard-forward committed to Division I Liberty University, LCA’s parent institution.

Cuffee was the leading scorer in the Cardinal Conference last season, averaging 19.8 points, and the Dots finished as Class AA state runner-up to Fairmont Senior. As a junior, Cuffee averaged 13.8 points as Poca went 27-0 and captured its first state championship since 1997.
Click Here for Full Story
Elijah Cuffee noted that he’ll also get to play pickup games against the Liberty varsity.

“I’m going to use it to kind of get better and get ready for the physicality,’’ he said, “to be able to play with those guys a year early and get ready for that speed.’’
That quote is a little tricky. I know it's just pickup ball and everything is above board, but that sounds awfully close to a violation.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
The article lists Cuffee as a Junior , two seasons ago. I think he was pushing the limits and regulations of trying to graduate early, and county wouldn't allow it. Brendon could use this much more than Elijah, if this is a thing Mckay wants to start doing. But I have a hunch it is a one time thing because of Elijah being a couple classes short of graduating early.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Something else we are all assuming, that wasn't stated in the News Paper, is that Elijah will play basketball at LCA.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Something else we are all assuming, that wasn't stated in the News Paper, is that Elijah will play basketball at LCA.
It is interesting that nothing is said about him playing at LCA, but I wouldn't read too much into it A LEGIT player like this is not going to trade his Senior year of HS ball for a few pickup games in Sept and Oct He will be in a Bulldog uniform this year, along with his fellow member of our 2017 recruiting class, Jay Barber I'm not sure who else they will have, but that alone should be the core of a really good HS team

Looks like Elijah will be coming to Lynchburg alone and staying with a host family Probably safe to say that in deference to the NCAA it will NOT be the McKays or the Barbers hosting him
olldflame wrote:
R i wrote:Something else we are all assuming, that wasn't stated in the News Paper, is that Elijah will play basketball at LCA.
It is interesting that nothing is said about him playing at LCA, but I wouldn't read too much into it A LEGIT player like this is not going to trade his Senior year of HS ball for a few pickup games in Sept and Oct He will be in a Bulldog uniform this year, along with his fellow member of our 2017 recruiting class, Jay Barber I'm not sure who else they will have, but that alone should be the core of a really good HS team

Looks like Elijah will be coming to Lynchburg alone and staying with a host family Probably safe to say that in deference to the NCAA it will NOT be the McKays or the Barbers hosting him
I dunno. His dad called this a 'redshirt' year. That doesn't sound like he will be playing. Also a host family makes it sort of sticky unless they live in the Glass/Heritage zone which is where I believe LCA is zoned.
Lots of interesting unanswered questions
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure what his dad meant by the redshirt comment, but if you take playing for LCA out of the equation this would be NOTHING LIKE a player who is enrolled in college and redshirting, where you can participate in everything except games, including all practices and individual workouts with full involvement from the coaching staff As an LCA student, he could play unsupervised pickup games with the players on the LU team only until mid-October when practice starts Then NOTHING til the end of the season in March No coaching whatsoever from our staff would be allowed

As far as a host family is concerned, I really don't think finding one who meets the criteria will be that hard In fact, I doubt they would have even announced this if that had not already been arranged
By FlameFan11
First, very happy to see Elijah do this as it solidifies his intent to sign this fall and attend Liberty. He is going to be a great wing to add with this years class.

Also, props to Coach McKay who for the 2nd straight year made sure to get his top recruit by attending nearly every game during the AAU season. Gardner referenced it in his interview with York and I saw numerous twitter posts with McKay at Elijah's AAU games. Identifying guys who could go to a higher level talent wise but value the LU mission more than a larger conference and then closing the deal with them. Very sound recruiting strategy that has nailed it these first two recruiting classes. Next year.....Trey Jemison?

Don't be surprised if Elijah's situation is handled like many football HS seniors close to graduation. If he was close, he might only need to take classes for one semester at LCA to graduate. Then he could enroll at LU after Christmas and have complete access to the program without using any eligibility. Then in March, he would be in every workout with the team which would give him a huge jump on playing time as a freshman. If this is truly Dawson's senior year, that will increase the PT for Elijah as well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:First, very happy to see Elijah do this as it solidifies his intent to sign this fall and attend Liberty. He is going to be a great wing to add with this years class.

Also, props to Coach McKay who for the 2nd straight year made sure to get his top recruit by attending nearly every game during the AAU season. Gardner referenced it in his interview with York and I saw numerous twitter posts with McKay at Elijah's AAU games. Identifying guys who could go to a higher level talent wise but value the LU mission more than a larger conference and then closing the deal with them. Very sound recruiting strategy that has nailed it these first two recruiting classes. Next year.....Trey Jemison?

Don't be surprised if Elijah's situation is handled like many football HS seniors close to graduation. If he was close, he might only need to take classes for one semester at LCA to graduate. Then he could enroll at LU after Christmas and have complete access to the program without using any eligibility. Then in March, he would be in every workout with the team which would give him a huge jump on playing time as a freshman. If this is truly Dawson's senior year, that will increase the PT for Elijah as well.
I think you are on to something there, and may in fact have nailed it Elijah is very close to graduating, and should be able to finish in one more semester, enabling him to join the team no later than January, and possibly December for a "greyshirt" semester, much as Rud Yearick did in football last Spring
That's still missing a lot of court time. In FB at least you can hit the weight room and do other things. In hoops it's a bit different. But who knows nowadays. It's all craziness
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:That's still missing a lot of court time. In FB at least you can hit the weight room and do other things. In hoops it's a bit different. But who knows nowadays. It's all craziness
It would be a trade-off of one season of HS ball for several months of practice and workouts with the Liberty team and staff, plus pickup games prior to practice starting in mid Oct

One thing to keep in mind is that Cuffee has played a TON of basketball for a kid his age Starter for his HS varsity since 9th grade, and the last 2 years Poca made tourney runs all the way to the state championship game This summer alone, his AAU team played 45 games (winning 42) and although I don't have the numbers, I think the previous 2 summers were similar
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Not only is Mckay signing these guys, he is getting them here for a "redshirt" year. Newton will also red shirt, but his will be more conventional.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Not only is Mckay signing these guys, he is getting them here for a "redshirt" year. Newton will also red shirt, but his will be more conventional.
Not a big fan of non-medical redshirts in general Cuffee's situation is different, because he would actually be coming a semester early I personally will believe we are redshirting Newton when Dec of 2017 rolls around and he still hasn't played Redshirting is no longer a valid academic tool With all the players going to summer sessions anyway, any good student is going to be in grad school before he uses his eligibility in the normal 4 years A big guy like Newton who may need another year to grow into his frame could be an exception, but in general, my opinion is that if there is ANYTHING a player can do on the court to make the team better, he should play IMHO Newton can be a difference maker as a defensive rim protector from day one If there is NOTHING he can do to make the team better, I would think the coaches had better be pretty sure that things will be different in a year, or we messed up and should have signed someone who can play for us
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:23 year old man > 18 year old kid
Usually true, if you are talking about the same player, but what if the 18 year old is a potentially program-changing recruit and the 23 year old is a SR who was redshirted as a FR and never developed into a star Now you need a scholarship for the new blood

This is the reality of college basketball today You have a player on scholarship and decide not to play him for a year so he can get better You devote countless hours of coaching and years of tuition, room board and FCOA $$$ to developing him, and then he gets his degree and can pretty much go wherever he wants without even sitting a year This is why a LOT if high major coaches no longer redshirt players unless they are injured I think it is especially poor management of resources to stretch out a players career when the program is actively working to upgrade the caliber of recruits they are bringing in I think we have an example on our roster right now

Football, especially at certain positions, is different, but IMHO, barring injury and with few exceptions, 4 years is plenty for a college basketball career
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]