If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Elijah Cuffee
6' 4" Wing
Poca (WV) HS

Rivals Profile

247sports Profile

Instagram

Holds Offers from (As of 9/19/15):
  • East Carolina
    Liberty
    Longwood
    Marshall
    Texas Tech
    Winthrop

[youtube]
[/youtube]

[youtube]
[/youtube]

NextUpRecruits.com wrote:Player Intro: 2017 W Elijah Cuffee
08/26/2015, 12:00pm EDT
By Dylan Prezkop

The Poca (WV) junior is starting to make his presence felt; DI offers incoming
POCA, W.V. -- West Virginia isn’t known for producing great basketball players, yet Poca HS wing Elijah Cuffee is one of the nation’s best-kept secrets. Starring for the West Virginia class AA powerhouse Poca Dots, he has quickly established himself as one of the state’s best players early on into his career.
Click Here for Full Story

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
One of my all time favorite mascots: the Poca Dots. LU basketball hasn't had a WV player since...maybe Mark Chafin?
:oldhag
By Wvflame2013
He looks like a big strong shooting guard. Good get. Poca used to have a powerhouse football team back in the early 2000s in WV. Back to BBall. WV has a ton a basketball talent that gets unnoticed. Glad to see Mckay going after talent there.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:One of my all time favorite mascots: the Poca Dots. LU basketball hasn't had a WV player since...maybe Mark Chafin?
Let´s not forget the Wilkerson twins. Play Basketball Play Basketball

Mark lived in the room across the hall from me on the 4th floor of the Stewart Arms Hotel my first semester at LBC in 74. He was one of Sumner Wemps ¨preacher boys¨ and when he wasn´t playing ball it seemed he was always reading his Bible. I´m pretty sure he was a first team all stater in WV. I don´t recall another WV native on the men´s side.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:One of my all time favorite mascots: the Poca Dots. LU basketball hasn't had a WV player since...maybe Mark Chafin?
I had a teammate named Dave Ward that was a walk-on. He was the best shooter on our team. He was thrust into action during a Mt St Mary's game and almost pulled off the second miracle on the Mountain that Freddie Morgan had done a couple of years earlier from almost the same spot but he missed the shot. We came back from 31 down in the second half but we all fouled out with a minute left so Dave had to play. He was on fire all week in practice too on scout team. I just knew his shot was going in too but that thing just wouldn't go down.

Anyway, WV is not heavily recruited by LU but there is some great talent there in hoops from what I have seen. Welcome Elijah!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:
olldflame wrote:
I had a teammate named Dave Ward that was a walk-on. He was the best shooter on our team. He was thrust into action during a Mt St Mary's game and almost pulled off the second miracle on the Mountain that Freddie Morgan had done a couple of years earlier from almost the same spot but he missed the shot. We came back from 31 down in the second half but we all fouled out with a minute left so Dave had to play. He was on fire all week in practice too on scout team. I just knew his shot was going in too but that thing just wouldn't go down.

Anyway, WV is not heavily recruited by LU but there is some great talent there in hoops from what I have seen. Welcome Elijah!
I believe this staff is working WV pretty hard. We have also offered Jarrod West, a 2017 PG from Clarksburg who is also getting attention from UVA, although they havn´t offered. Also, Mountain Mission school, the Alma Matre of Hancel Atencia, which is rapidly becoming a basketball ¨factory¨ is just 5 miles from the WV border in Grundy, VA. Hansel played his AAU ball for a WV based team, and I believe most of the other Mountain Mission players do as well.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Let´s not forget the Wilkerson twins. Play Basketball Play Basketball
Who were from Princeton, WV. Play Basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:How about Zeke from Cabin Creek?
We have offered a kid with the same last name from Clarksburg. Don´t know if there is any relation, but you know how it is in WV. 8)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Wvflame2013 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:How about Zeke from Cabin Creek?
T
Who? Haha jk. And some hot rod! White chocolate Jason Williams.
Hansel Atencia has also been referred to as White Chocolate due to his style of play and the fact that it looked like he was going to Marshall before Ritchie snatched him up.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I'm still amazed that McKay got a West Virginia kid to choose LU over in-state Marshall from C-USA, less than an hour from his hometown. Looking forward to having Elijah in the red & white in 2017.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Mark's son is one of my best friends. That's all I have to add to this discussion. Mark reffed quite a bit in the area at lower-level DI games and high school games. I remember catching up with him at a VMI-Lynchburg game at Cameron some years back.
By FlameFan11
Elijah and his Poca HS team from West Virginia are competing in the very tough Myrtle Beach, Beach Ball Classic. Here is some info on how they are doing.

Suffered their first high school loss in 25+ games as they lost to St. Francis (GA) 73-56. In the loss, Elijah scored 23 points with 11 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals.

They bounced back with a 61-50 win over Socastee (SC). Elijah again scored 23 points and grabbed 11 rebounds for the 2nd time in the event.

He also made the final 3 out of over 40 shooters in the 3 point competition at the Beach Ball losing to Mater Dei's Spencer Freedman in the finals.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the update FF11. As a native WVan, I appreciate the news!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]