If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kiwon
Is the consensus that he will red-shirt his freshman year and make his debut in two years?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I believe the kid is still a sophomore

So you're talking closer to '18 or so
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
He would have been a Senior this year, but he reclassified down over the summer, so he will be a Junior. Class of 17, but I´d be surprised if he and his dad have not left the door open to reclassify back up if Ritchie says he is ready and can help the team next year. He has been playing high level AAU ball for Team Loaded U16 this summer, and has had some big games.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Jay was in a pretty bad car wreck last night where he flipped his car. Thankfully he walked away from it with only a scratch. Donna posted the picture on Instagram and it's amazing he wasn't hurt.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
No insider info, but it feels like this could have been the plan all along. Jay was in a very tough spot with signing his NLT one week before his dad was fired/resigned as Athletic Director. He had some interest from other schools, but did not have time or much interest from other D1s that he turned down. Feels like he decided that attending Liberty and practicing with the team without playing would be his best option for additional recruitment. Again this is all speculation, but a freshman with a full ride permanently leaving the team a couple weeks from the beginning of the season doesn't feel typical. Tough spot for the young man, and I am hoping for nothing but the best for him.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Damien tweeted that it may protect his scholarship this year by doing it this way.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Seeing as his father's departure last year was widely seen as a Gill or Barber choice complete with Gill's daughter's unfortunate tweet, is it possible Jay was just going around shouting "I TOLD YOU SO!" too loudly?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Seeing as his father's departure last year was widely seen as a Gill or Barber choice complete with Gill's daughter's unfortunate tweet, is it possible Jay was just going around shouting "I TOLD YOU SO!" too loudly?
Barber was in a lot of trouble with the administration for a good while before his exit. It never was a Gill or Barber choice/argument.
Frankly, I am surprised that the kid stuck around as long as he did. Never expected him to begin the school year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Seeing as his father's departure last year was widely seen as a Gill or Barber choice complete with Gill's daughter's unfortunate tweet, is it possible Jay was just going around shouting "I TOLD YOU SO!" too loudly?
Barber was in a lot of trouble with the administration for a good while before his exit. It never was a Gill or Barber choice/argument.
Frankly, I am surprised that the kid stuck around as long as he did. Never expected him to begin the school year.
As far as the D1 level is concerned, Jay would at best have been a "one trick pony" as a 3 point shooter. When he committed, it was never intended he be on scholarship, since he would have had free tuition as the child of a Liberty employee. His dad's "resignation" changed all that, and RMK could have simply said he did not have a scholarship for him, but instead he juggled things around to give him one. I think I can say with some confidence that there was no plan to renew it for another year. If he had stayed with the team, he would not have seen any meaningful minutes. In addition to all the scholarship players, walkon Brody Hicks has the same shooting skills and is stronger, more athletic and a better defender. He would have been ahead of Jay at the off guard as well as Cabell and Cuffee.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Everything you said seems accurate, except...if he was receiving a full scholarship, no matter where it's from, it counts toward the NCAA max.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Everything you said seems accurate, except...if he was receiving a full scholarship, no matter where it's from, it counts toward the NCAA max.
Asking you because you would almost certainly know........... Is full tuition only considered a full scholarship? I'm thinking no, but I really don't know. That's what employee children get to the best of my knowledge.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:That's a good point. I think for DGIA, he'd only be getting tuition. So maybe he wouldn't count towards the 13.
I'm pretty sure that's how it is. Tim and Ethan Layer did not count against our limit when they were on he team, and I believe they were getting that benefit (although DL certainly could have afforded the tuition.) It appears that Scotty James, whose mom is a Liberty professor, is counting. I believe that is because he was on scholarship at Bradley before he transferred, or it may just be that McKay wanted him to have the schollie so he could live on campus and receive FCOA.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]