If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By FlameFan11
Listed at 6'9, 260 lbs. Looks to move pretty well for that size. Looks like a high level shot blocker. Currently holds offers from Arizona State and SMU. Would love to get him to Liberty!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We have a huge African population in Houston particularly from Nigeria. I butchered players names nightly back in my sportscasting days. But if you say it with enough authority, whether you are right or wrong, you can usually sound semi-intelligent.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: But if you say it with enough authority, whether you are right or wrong, you can usually sound semi-intelligent.
That's EXACTLY what I tell my Quiz Bowlers: when you answer, say it with authority! Study
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
CinciFlame wrote:We need to be in Grundy VA as much as possible over the next year. I would love to have this kid on the mountain.

http://mmshoops.com/jethro-dominates-at ... -nba-camp/

We signed a pg from there in this years class. I could see that school being a pipeline for Liberty in the future. There's a couple other players on the roster that are d1 players as well.
we will never have a player of this caliber on the mountain period...complete pipe dream
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Here is a report from the local news station. Look closely and you will catch a glimpse or 2 of Hansel Atencia. Number 4 I believe.

http://www.wcyb.com/news/mountain-missi ... k/32107922

Their coach was a grad assistant at LU for a year or 2. Whether or not we can get a kid like like Jethro, who will no doubt have multiple offers from major programs by the time he signs, it certainly looks like they can be a source of talent for us. Sounds like a great place that is doing some terriffic work as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Of course Sly makes the thread about himself.
K
He pulled a BJ!!!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:Well, that was fast. Jethro just committed to Arizona State as reported by Eric Bossi.
I wonder if this will be his warm up song?

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
SuperJon wrote:Of course Sly makes the thread about himself.
K
He pulled a BJ!!!
Maybe bj has been pulling a sly all these years. Hmmm
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:A small rural mountain community school with a kid named Jethro. The jokes just write themselves at this point.
Jethro is from the Congo. I´ll bet he has some stories to tell. Somehow I think if he were to walk into one or the rural businesses around Grundy the conversation would start something like ÿou´re not from around these parts, are you¨?

Put him on our squad with the Talbert brothers and the roster would look like a geniology from the Old Testiment.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:A small rural mountain community school with a kid named Jethro. The jokes just write themselves at this point.
Jethro is from the Congo. I´ll bet he has some stories to tell. Somehow I think if he were to walk into one or the rural businesses around Grundy the conversation would start something like ÿou´re not from around these parts, are you¨?

Put him on our squad with the Talbert brothers and the roster would look like a geniology from the Old Testiment.
Don't. Feed The Troll
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Looks like Bobby Hurley (or someone on his staff anyway) knows the way to Grundy well. ASU has also offered 6´10¨ PF Maciej Bender from Poland.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/maciej-bender

There are a couple of other legit D1 prospects on the roster as well. Considering the ¨mission¨ of the school and the Liberty connection with the coach, I definately think Grundy needs to be a place we visit frequently. Looks like they are going to be a potential source of talent for the forseeable future.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Watching that highlight video of Bender on the verbalcommits profile I can see why he just might want to hook up again with his HS PG. It just might be a better highlight video for Hansel Atencia (4) than Hansel´s own video is. He drops one sick dime after another on Bender, with a lot of them ending in dunks. He has some high major offers, but he is way down the list of PFs those schools are recruiting, which could bode well for a lower level school to land him.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:Well, that was fast. Jethro just committed to Arizona State as reported by Eric Bossi.
ASU offered and Jethro committed. That means he will be playing there next year, right?

Not necessarily. Hurley has offered scholarships to 6 Centers in the class of 2016 and Jethro is the lowest rated of the 6. Now that may be somewhat misleading because he has been flying under the radar and just really got noticed at the recent NBPA camp, but you can bet if Thon Maker decides to go there this kid will probably be informed they no longer have a schollie for him. That would be even more true for the other MMS big guy, Bender, who has 3 high major offers but is well down the list of the multiple PFs all of them have offered.
By CinciFlame
Registration Days Posts
They have some high quality prospects this year. I recently read that numerous big time coaches have scheduled visits there.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
6´11¨ Maciej Bender from Mountain Mission has narrowed his list to 2. WVU, where he visited last week and.......................... Ole Miss! Huggins has gone after Bender hard, and of course Grundy is just 5 miles from the WV border, but why Ole Miss? They have a guy from Poland on their team who years ago as a Freshman at Liberty was mentored by a graduate assistant named Pawel Mrozik. Mrozik is now Bender´s coach at MMS. Something tells me there is a grad assistant job waiting for Tomasz Gielo after this year if Bender decides to head South.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I suspect that Tomasz will be pursuing his pro playing career after this season. I wouldn't be shocked to see him wind up as a GA for us once that is over. I can't recall seeing a player in any sport continue to gush about his LU experience after transferring like we have from Tomasz.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I suspect that Tomasz will be pursuing his pro playing career after this season. I wouldn't be shocked to see him wind up as a GA for us once that is over. I can't recall seeing a player in any sport continue to gush about his LU experience after transferring like we have from Tomasz.
That is certainly a possibility. A lot would depend on where he is in his Master´s program. If he has another year to go, he may want to hold off on his pro career to complete it.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]