If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By FlameFan11
olldflame wrote:It's 2016. The Warriors won the NBA playing major stretches with noone over 6'7" on the floor, and our coach is Ritchie McKay. Don't be surprised if Gardner, who tíl recently would be considered a prototype SF, plays more at the 4, and Baxter-Bell, who is 6'5" on tippy-toe, but weighs in at a Barkley-esque 255, sees most of his minutes at the 5. Depending on how Barmore and Pacheco develop, we may even see Dawson some at the 3. We also will have the capability to play a very tall lineup, but I really doubt we will see much of that.

My starting lineup:

PG Cabbil
SG Dawson
SF Homesley
PF Gardner
C Talbert

Cabbil gets the starting nod mostly for defense. Dawson is a no brainer, and IMHO Homesley has huge upside. Gardner is a wild card because I honestly think he can play any position on the floor. Center is a crap shoot. I intentionly hedged by not indicating WHICH Talbert.
Totally agree with everything you say here. That would be my starting lineup as well if I had to choose today and totally hedging on which Talbert. Kemrite would be most likely guy out to find his way in there with his toughness and defense that McKay praised so much. I love the flexibility that this roster will give us. I definitely see Dawson at the 3 sometimes and can definitely see that larger lineup used especially in the non-conference. Guys like Dawson and Gardner who can play most every position gives McKay a lot of options. Will also help if we have to deal with any injuries. Looking forward to getting this new crop of guys here in June.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Based on his improved play at the end of the season, I expect Reíd will be very much in the mix for minutes as well. Other than Gardner, who I am almost sure will make an instant impact, PT for the FR will be hard earned, but I think Barmore will be able to come in and provide instant offense. Just how much he gets to play will probably depend in how he does on D, where Cabbil is really solid.
By FlameFan11
I did see that on the Liberty site the roster is listed with returning players for 2016-17. Ryan Hiepler is still included on the roster. I did not include him in the roster list so add that as another non-scholarship player in the mix.

Should be interesting to see what comes out of these first two NCAA recruiting periods in April. Last week we didn't hear much and I don't expect much this weekend either. Based on last year with Gardner, I assume the staff will be attending the majority of Elijah Cuffee's games to secure that commitment as well as Newton while trying to get looks at the younger 16u (2018) and 15u (2019) groups.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:I did see that on the Liberty site the roster is listed with returning players for 2016-17. Ryan Hiepler is still included on the roster. I did not include him in the roster list so add that as another non-scholarship player in the mix.

Should be interesting to see what comes out of these first two NCAA recruiting periods in April. Last week we didn't hear much and I don't expect much this weekend either. Based on last year with Gardner, I assume the staff will be attending the majority of Elijah Cuffee's games to secure that commitment as well as Newton while trying to get looks at the younger 16u (2018) and 15u (2019) groups.
Hiepler is on the roster, but Hoffman and Worman are not. Obviously you can't blame a kid who is paying his own way for deciding he needs to move on or focus on other priorities. Could have been a coaches decisión as well. With at least 2 walkons coming in, they may want to stick to a limit on those slots.

McKay has been in NC checking out Cuffee and PG Jarrod West, who we have offered for 17, in a showcase there. Not sure where we would get the schollie for West, but be is good enough he could be an upgrade.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
FlameFan11 wrote:I did see that on the Liberty site the roster is listed with returning players for 2016-17. Ryan Hiepler is still included on the roster. I did not include him in the roster list so add that as another non-scholarship player in the mix.

Hiepler is on the roster, but Hoffman and Worman are not. Obviously you can't blame a kid who is paying his own way for deciding he needs to move on or focus on other priorities. Could have been a coaches decisión as well. With at least 2 walkons coming in, they may want to stick to a limit on those slots.

McKay has been in NC checking out Cuffee and PG Jarrod West, who we have offered for 17, in a showcase there. Not sure where we would get the schollie for West, but be is good enough he could be an upgrade.
A very smart poster on here once said something to the effect of, "if a player is talented enough, you find a way to get him."
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cuffee averaged 22.5 ppg and was MVP of the Big Shots Raleigh event. For the récord BJ, I am well aware that in most cases a scholarship can be "found" if you want the player badly enough, but the fact is it has to come from somewhere. In this case, someone would have to go, and right now I don' t know who that would be.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Starting to get crowded on that bench the next few years! Keep upgrading, coach! Excited so many quality guys want to play for us!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Cuffee averaged 22.5 ppg and was MVP of the Big Shots Raleigh event. For the récord BJ, I am well aware that in most cases a scholarship can be "found" if you want the player badly enough, but the fact is it has to come from somewhere. In this case, someone would have to go, and right now I don' t know who that would be.
I don't know either to be honest. If he pulls one it's gonna upset people I can I just about count on it
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Options for a grad transfer to fill our open schollie next year are fading. 7' Andre Washington of Wake Forest is going to ECU. He is a Roanoke native who was offered by DL out of HS.
By FlameFan11
There is still time but it is looking unlikely that we will sign a grad transfer. That could be the only addition at this point with the schollies for 2017 locked up. Since we were posting the 2017-18 potential roster on Newton's thread, I thought I would write out this upcoming season so I could see it. As mentioned on the other thread, many of these "players" could be listed in multiple categories.

PG - Cabbil, Barmore, Pacheco

SG - Dawson, Kemrite, Hiepler

SF - Gardner, Reid, Hicks

PF - Homesley, ETalbert, Baxter-Bell

C - JTalbert, Koval

14 guys listed here. Seems a little sparse after listing all those guys for 17-18. Am I missing anyone for next season? Someone asked if Baxter-Bell would be here. It sounds like he will be unless something drastic happens. He can bring a little more physical presence in the paint. The LU website is listing him at 6-5, 255 lbs. JTalbert is probably our only other strong inside presence for next season besides Myo so we could use him.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Brock Gardner's HS coach James Brown is quite the prolific video editor. He has put together this mixtape of Brock's Senior year highlights:

[youtube]
[/youtube]

I have to agree that Brock is an impressive "game dunker". He doesn't get all crazy out there, but throws it down with authority and flair. For some reason I just thought of Wilt, who always referred to a dunk as "the high percentage shot". Some of these kids are trying so hard to do something that will go viral that they make it more high risk than high %.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Looks like we can remove Hayden Koval's name from this recruiting class. He is re-classifying to 2017 and playing AAU ball this Spring/Summer.. Probably a good move for him. He's only 17, and of course being home schooled it's easy to put off "graduation". If he plays well this summer he will no doubt get some more scholarship offers to go with the one from Oral Roberts he turned down to commit to be a walk-on at Liberty last Fall. Since we do not have a scholarship for him in 17 as things currently sit, I am beginning to think he may not end up in a Flames uniform.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]