If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
New video on the LU basketball webpage:

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Pobre Hansel. :( One of the most likeable kids ever to don a Liberty uní. I think our initial expectations for him were unrealistic, and he is now buried on the bench behind 3 scholarship players and not 1, but 2 walkons. He has really good ball skills, but can't defend D1 guards and is not a threat as a shooter. I'm starting to think that if college basketball is in his future, it may not be at LU, or D1 for that matter.
By Flamerz
I mean there just aren't any minutes available for him at this point and we have very little room for errors so the lineups have to tighten up... Cabbil, Fields and Dawson all handle the ball and Hansel doesn't do much of anything on offense and doesn't have a jumpshot that requires much of a defender like Reid, Kemrite, JD etc. lastly his defense is horrible. While the other guards aren't Gary Payton on defense their good enough to compete. I hope Atencia who is a good kid uses this as a learning experience and continues to play hard. Fields plays 20-25 mpg and when he leaves after the season his minutes will be available so maybe he can earn them. He just needs to stay posititve.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Now that Hoffman is back from an injury, he is even getting a little playing time, but Hansel never even took off his warm-up shirt yesterday.
By Kiwon
SumItUp wrote:Great news for Hansel. He has been asked to play for the Colombian national team.
I am glad he will get some reps. The kid looked like Pete Maravich in his HS highlights but it doesn't seem that he'll be playing in a game again anytime soon.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Hansel started at PG for his countries U17 squad last year and scored 15ppg in the SA championships. His HS vídeo is impressive, but with 20/20 hindsite we now can see that the guys he passed to will be playing at places like AZ St. and WVU next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Kiwon wrote:
SumItUp wrote:Great news for Hansel. He has been asked to play for the Colombian national team.
I am glad he will get some reps. The kid looked like Pete Maravich in his HS highlights but it doesn't seem that he'll be playing in a game again anytime soon.
Another Maravich reference. His name has come up quite a bit lately. The (future) Flame who's game really more closely resembles the Pistol's is signee Xzavier Barmore. Crazy handles, but a scorer who can go off and put up 32 points in a 16 minute HS half (which he did this year).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Stop it. There was only 1 Pistol Pete. When the kid can average 30 or so in College with crazy handles then we will talk. There is only one current player who could possibly be considered close Although he has great handles they aren't quite like Pete's. It's like calling someone The Next Jordan. Really? Google Harold Minor and then chastise yourself
By Kiwon
olldflame wrote:
Kiwon wrote:
Another Maravich reference. His name has come up quite a bit lately. The (future) Flame who's game really more closely resembles the Pistol's is signee Xzavier Barmore. Crazy handles, but a scorer who can go off and put up 32 points in a 16 minute HS half (which he did this year).
My only comparison was with some slick passing. You're right, you've got to have someone on the receiving end to make it a "highlight." A bobble nullifies the great pass.

Side note, poor Catherine Kearney has been nailed in the face with the ball each of the last two games. Let's hope that streak gets broken the next game before her nose does.
Last edited by Kiwon on February 5th, 2016, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
By FlameFan11
Hansel is an undersized pg who excels in an uptempo style of play. He is also only a freshman with plenty of time to improve on perimeter shooting or defensive shortcomings. He is a great teammate and most guys love having him on their squad since he is a willing passer who loves to push the ball. Great kid to keep in the program but can understand if he chooses an opportunity to play right away.

One interesting change with Coach McKay this time around is how deliberate the offense is at this point. Hard to tell if this is personnel driven or a new philosophy. He was always known as an offensive coach prior to this UVA stint. I tend to lean towards the slower pace because of personnel and lack of roster depth but what do you guys think? For guards like Atencia and looks like Barmore, they thrive in a more uptempo pace. Will be interesting to see as more talent joins the roster, if we continue a more methodical approach or if we start the see a little more pace to our play.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Hansel saw his first action in a long time last night. He was put in to foul at the end of the game, but he made the most of his 1+ min and went 2-2 from the field, scoring 5 points.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
It was GREAT seeing him back on the hardwood!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Baybird wrote: October 21st, 2019, 9:04 pm A little old news, but I just came across this and thought some might be interested.

https://gomustangs.com/news/2019/6/24/m ... eland.aspx
Hansel is a truly talented and exciting offensive player and a dynamic young man. He was a fantastic fit as a student at Liberty University, but unfortunately, lacked the length and/or athleticism to excel in the pack line and was a much better fit for the up-tempo NAIA style at Masters, where he thrived both on and off the court. Looking forward to following how he does both in Iceland and for the Columbian National program.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]