If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Alright guys, I made some changes and took away the requirement you have to be registered with blogger to post...links to the boards are coming soon, and of course we'll be on top :wink:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You might want to do something about the appearance of the blog. The pink font doesn't exactly scream mens college basketball. 8)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
With apologies to ATrain for piggybacking his topic, I have a blog http://bjthesportsfan.blogspot.com
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Don't worry Sly...its one of the issues I'm definitely going to be taking care of...unless someone informs me that men's college basketball has gone metro and all new uniforms will have collars that must be popped in order to display the Nike logo embroidered on them. I'm just starting it now so I have time to work on these things and not have to do it right before BBall season starts.

And FYI: I'm also going to be doing some coverage of the women's side as well
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone besides me not have a blog?
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
I barely have time to keep up with all you guys posting.....when would i have time to write a blog!
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
cbs sportsline is doing the preview of the big south today
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I can summarize it for you without having seen it

blah blah Winthrop is unstopable blah blah Leasure is pretty good too, blah blah blah Winthrop is the next Creighton they almost beat TN, blah blah Larry Blair honorable mention. The End.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Does anyone besides me not have a blog?
whats a blog?

sounds like something I had to plunge outta the kids' bathroom this AM before rushing to the bus stop.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I about added in "except Medic because he's short and stupid" but I thought better of it.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
LUConn,

Your post is on the money.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:I about added in "except Medic because he's short and stupid" but I thought better of it.
you forgot "handsome"
By Realist
Registration Days Posts
Here's the sportline preview:

Could this be the year that the Big South finally gets over the hump and wins a meaningful NCAA Tournament game?

UNC-Asheville's opening round OT win over Texas Southern in 2003 remains the Big South's lone tourney win. All it earned, however, was a chance to get a first-round whipping at the hands of top-seeded Texas.

Slowly the Big South, or more precisely, Winthrop, has been closing the gap on the big boys.

In 2005, the Eagles lost by 10 to third-seeded Gonzaga. Last season, they lost a heartbreaking nip-and-tuck affair 63-61 to No. 2 Tennessee on a last-second shot.

Winthrop's success -- they've captured six of the past eight Big South championships -- made coach Gregg Marshall a hot commodity during the offseason. When the College of Charleston came calling he accepted its offer. However, less than 24 hours after being introduced as the Cougars' head coach he had a change of heart. Winthrop gladly took him back.

With Marshall's flip-flop, there were no coaching changes in the Big South, but it is one team smaller than a year ago as Birmingham Southern, which finished third in conference last season, has dropped out of Division I.

Team to beat

Big South
Predicted Finish
1. Winthrop
2. Coastal Carolina
3. High Point
4. Liberty
5. UNC Asheville
6. Charleston Southern
7. Radford
8. VMI
First Team All-Conference
G - Larry Blair, Liberty
G - Jack Leasure, Coastal Carolina
G - Torrell Martin, Winthrop
F - Arizona Reid, High Point
F - Craig Bradshaw, Winthrop
Winthrop. There's bascially 1A and 1B in the Big South and, right now, the Eagles are 1A.
Led by Torrell Martin and Craig Bradshaw, Winthrop returns four starters and five of the top six scorers from last year's Big South regular-season and tournament champions.

Martin, the 2006 conference tourney MVP, averaged 13.8 points (16 points in conference play) and 5.6 rebounds while shooting 44.3 percent from the field last season. Bradshaw, who can beat teams inside and out, averaged 12.8 points and six rebounds.

James Shuler, the team's second-leading scorer last season, is the missing link, but the team has high hopes that freshman Byron Faison and juco transfer Antwon Harris, among others, can fill those shoes.

When it comes right down to it though, the Eagles are about defense and there's no reason to think they'll see a decline in that department. Last season Winthrop held conference opponents to 60.7 ppg, leading the Big South in scoring defense for the eighth straight season.

Watch out for
Coastal Carolina: And now on to team 1B. The Chanticleers, who dominated the conference during the 90s, were nearly the Big South's NCAA Tournament representative in coach Buzz Peterson's first season, but they dropped a 51-50 decision to Winthrop on a Bradshaw lay-up with nine seconds left.

It doesn't hurt Coastal Carolina's cause that reigning Big South player of the year Jack Leasure is back for another season. Leasure loves the long-ball, setting a Big South record with 125 3-pointers made last season, which ranked second behind J.J. Redick nationally.

Moses Sonko (11.7 ppg, 5.5 rpg) is a key cog, while Joseph Harris (5.4 ppg, 5.8 rpg) could really bloom in his second season.

High Point could be a potential danger to both Winthrop and Coastal Carolina. Though they lack senior leadership, they have three starters returning and at least four other players logged more than 12 minutes per game last season. Arizona Reid is a beast on the boards, averaging a league-high 9.4 rpg in conference play, and his offense isn't too shabby either (18.3 ppg).

Player of the Year
Larry Blair, Liberty: He flirted with the NBA but decided to return for his senior season. While the Flames probably will be middling at best, Blair could end the season as the Big South's all-time scoring leader. He's 572 points away from the record (2,151 by Tony Dunkin, Coastal Carolina, 1989-93) after scoring 679 points (22.6 ppg) during the 2005-06 season.

If High Point's Reid improves over even equals his numbers from a year ago he'll be tough to overlo ok, and Coastal Carolina's Leasure should be in the mix if he continues to pour in 3s like he did last season.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
That's a pretty fair assesment I guess. No mention of Brew means they don't know about it. As for 1A and 1B, I just don't get why everybody thinks CCU is all of the sudden WU's equal. Sure they return Leasure, but did everybody forget about Pelay Pele Peleay? If I recall he was not only a starter but their second best player. That's tough to replace. Does that mean if he had another year of eligabilty they would be 1A? I doubt it but how could they not? Bah, not well thought out but what else can we expect?
By panfan01
Registration Days Posts
I don't want to sound like a WU fan so I'll just say that Arizona Reid is not just a little better than last year but a whole lot better,he has worked hard enough to make himself an amazing player.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
No one would ever confuse you with a WU fan. :lol:
By panfan01
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure what that means but I am a Larry Blair fan and have little or nothing bad to say about "Jerry U".
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let's just say I've observed the jousting between you and the WU fans on the HPU & Winthrop boards. :wink:
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
SuperJon wrote:I about added in "except Medic because he's short and stupid" but I thought better of it.
you forgot "handsome"
That would violate the ninth commandment
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
There are that many now?? Typical legalists
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread