If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
After thinking about it some more.................... why not Meyer? One thing that is clear is he wanted badly to come back to the mountain. He is accustomed to the role of assistant coach, albeit at a higher level. We could offer him associate HC, and match what he is making at Michigan. He's well paid, but it's not crazy money. $185,000 plus bonuses.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I thought he was fired by LU. cannot see him being rehired.
He was terminated because of personal issues, which by all reports have been resolved. Liberty is a place known for giving second chances.
By jam90
phoenix wrote:
flameshaw wrote: Flight risk? You have to be kidding. EVERY coach that is worth a dime is a flight risk. Do you want to date a girl that is not a flight risk? Not me. I feel good when people look at my wife who is >60 and is often asked if she is the sister of one of my daughters. Much better than he alternative.
No.

I want to marry a girl that other people look at and admire but that is so totally committed to me that there is absolutely no flight risk. Those do exist - in women and in basketball coaches. I'm hoping that Ritchie McKay is like that this time around - he wasn't the last time.
Geez, too much comparing basketball coaches to wives. If you want your basketball coach to be as faithful as your wife, your priorities are out of order. :lol:
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jeff Says we didnt offer anyone else,Flames nation reported "Several sources tell us that Liberty was prepared to offer Murray State head coach Steve Prohm up to $1 million a year to be the Flames’ head coach. Prohm, who has been rumored to be in the mix for BCS level jobs like Alabama, politely declined"

There is a fine line between , Prepared to offer, or Offer.

Chris Lang later reported that "McKay made $334,000 as a UVa assistant. Layer earned $320,160 in 2013, according to tax records."

And then theres the article posted here yesterdat that reports Meyer made 180,000 with 25,000 bonus per year he remains.

We all already know that we can afford to bring in Meyer, but I just wanted to point it out that if we didnt pay mckay more than Double what he was making or Double what Layers was making, there would be plenty of the Million left over to pay for Meyer.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:The 4th member of the staff is likely to be Kyle Getter. Nothing is official yet though.
meh

OK, I didn't realize he was at Radford now. After spending 2 years under Shaka Smart and being familiar with the BSC, I guess it could be a good hire. Obviously McKay likes the guy since this would be the second time he hired him.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:The 4th member of the staff is likely to be Kyle Getter. Nothing is official yet though.
So, we are looking at:

McKay
Soucie
Getter
Mance
Olinger

???

I assume Soucie would be the top assistant. You would think in all the years he has been with Ritchie he would have had that role before, but I actually believe this will be the first time.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Another plus for Getter is that he is very familiar with recruiting the state of VA, which should make Purple and ballcoach happy.
And me. Besides being just plain awful at coaching, this was my biggest beef with Layer. Virginia isn't Texas when it comes to recruiting but to not have one in-state recruit on the roster? That's ridiculous.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
That staff has a lot of continuity. Soucie and Getter both have worked with Ritchie. Omar knows the current players and the ones in the recruiting pipeline, and Olinger brings a little of both.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Why would Meyer come here as an assistant? Even if we paid him double what he is making at Michigan, there is more to work than money. He will probably get a chance at another gig somewhere. Bottom line, I hope he is happy no matter his future direction.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The more and more I see reaction to this, the more and more I'm glad we didn't hire Jason Allison. I liked the guy and think he can coach, but some of the comments tied to his circle have shown it wasn't worth the baggage.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Why would Meyer come here as an assistant? Even if we paid him double what he is making at Michigan, there is more to work than money. He will probably get a chance at another gig somewhere. Bottom line, I hope he is happy no matter his future direction.
The reason he would do it would be if he wanted to be back at Liberty more than he wanted to be a head coach again. A lot of low-mid major HC jobs that Jeff could have had a shot at have come and gone over the years, and as far as I know this is the first one he has really gone after. Coincidence? I think not. Looks like Ritchie is going in a completely different direction, so it doesn't matter, but I bet if offered Jeff would have at the very least been extremely tempted.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:After thinking about it some more.................... why not Meyer? One thing that is clear is he wanted badly to come back to the mountain. He is accustomed to the role of assistant coach, albeit at a higher level. We could offer him associate HC, and match what he is making at Michigan. He's well paid, but it's not crazy money. $185,000 plus bonuses.
If all things were even, why would Meyer trade an assistant coach job where just 2 years ago he was sitting on the sideline of the national title game, for another assistant coach job where the most you could hope for is winning your conference over the next 3-5 years?

IMO, if Meyer really wanted to come to the mountain it was because:
1) Liberty is investing HUGELY in its sports programs,
2) they are growing by leaps and bounds numerically (amount of students),
3) they play in a conference where 1-2 big recruits could change a team into conference champions in year one.
and most importantly,
4) he wanted to be the head coach of the above team again.

I'd love to see Meyer come back and bring his expertise in coaching and ESPECIALLY in recruiting to Lynchburg, but I'm sure he would rather rub shoulders with blue chip athletes with several being future NBA players if he had the choice between being a Asst. coach at Liberty or one at Michigan. I would think that Meyer is probably 5-6 years away from retiring, and Michigan coach John Beilein isn't going anywhere, anytime soon IMO. So he probably has a ton of job security there as well.
Last edited by belcherboy on April 2nd, 2015, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
PAFlame wrote:Who are you all kidding? I fully expect McKay to announce his staff of Layer, Meyer, Dunton, and Hankinson in the coming days :I chortle audibly.:.
Code violation
Jeff Meyer, full name must be used when referencing his successor.
Just a warning
:fineprint
By R i
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:The more and more I see reaction to this, the more and more I'm glad we didn't hire Jason Allison. I liked the guy and think he can coach, but some of the comments tied to his circle have shown it wasn't worth the baggage.
Somebody posted a quote on here by Jason himself talking about wanting to "Beat the Hell out of Liberty"
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:The more and more I see reaction to this, the more and more I'm glad we didn't hire Jason Allison. I liked the guy and think he can coach, but some of the comments tied to his circle have shown it wasn't worth the baggage.
I don't know much about Jason, other than watching him play a little while attending Liberty, but why do you think he can coach? I don't see anywhere on his resume (http://www.appstatesports.com/ViewArtic ... =209477396) where he has ever been a head coach. It just seems odd to me that he has been out of school and served as an assistant coach for nearly 20 years now, and has never had a head coaching job. You would think he would have gotten his shot by now, if he were showing tremendous potential toward being a great head coach. He's only been at the college level for a little over 10 years now, so perhaps he is working his way up the ladder, but I never understood why some were wanting him to take over at Liberty without any head coach experience at any level. Of course, I don't follow his career very closely, so maybe he just hasn't been given the opportunity to shine yet.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
In 20/20 hindsight it looks like all the Jason Allison talk has been a huge tempest in a teapot. He was never under any kind of serious consideration to be HC, and all the talk about JB somehow making bringing him in him as "coach in waiting" a stipulation to hire one of the older applicants was a total figment of someone's imagination. As an LU alum, I wish him success in his endeavors, but some of his recent behavior and comments have not reflected particularly well on his alma mater.

Long snapper for UCLA https://twitter.com/ryanwil[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]