If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Those are the guys who really are going to have a tough time telling their families about this news. We don't know how much they made since that isn't a matter of the public record, but these guys still have houses or apartment rents to pay for, car payments to make, and probably school tuition as well (since we can't assume that any kids they have went to LCA) among other things. Not only that, but they are going to have to pack up and move again for the next job, wherever it may be.
I'll be the first to say, that comes with the territory. When one enters the college basketball coaching business, they must communicate to spouse what that commitment involves. Doesn't make a firing sting any less, just means one cannot do it without understanding the risks. They're simply too obvious to be missed through naivete.
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
From the class of 09 wrote:Obviously, the way we all are effected is different...
Honest question: How are you, a "stackholder", affected?
As a fan I'm the consumer which is a classic definition of a stackholder. In that same vain I'm affected because I anticipate the product I purchase will improve.

I get there is a difference between me the fan and employees but by definition we are both stackholders.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
From the class of 09 wrote:
JK37 wrote:
From the class of 09 wrote:Obviously, the way we all are effected is different...
Honest question: How are you, a "stackholder", affected?
As a fan I'm the consumer...
OK. Games are an entertainment entity to be consumed, so I get that. I don't consider coaching that way, but I see where you are coming from.

Yes, BJ, we mean stakeholder. I was making a joke, and he was playing along.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Those are the guys who really are going to have a tough time telling their families about this news. We don't know how much they made since that isn't a matter of the public record, but these guys still have houses or apartment rents to pay for, car payments to make, and probably school tuition as well (since we can't assume that any kids they have went to LCA) among other things. Not only that, but they are going to have to pack up and move again for the next job, wherever it may be.
If they're just now getting around to breaking the news that they're most likely going to be losing their jobs, that's on them. They should have been expecting it for a few years at this point. Goes with the territory.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
If they're just now getting around to breaking the news that they're most likely going to be losing their jobs, that's on them. They should have been expecting it for a few years at this point. Goes with the territory.
I wouldn't go that far. Maybe last year they could've legitimately feared it, but nothing before then. This year is the first when they could've expected it.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Coach JK is right. hopefully if they were truly expecting it, they put their financial house in order in anticipation of the possible (now official) move.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Anytime you lose 20 games a season, you need an exit plan in place. When you have losing season year after year you need same plan.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Thank You Dale. This is a results based decision, and that is always a good thing at LU. I am thankful for your impact on the school and young men you coached. I hope you land in Blacksburg.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Lang just tweeted the assistant coaches have been retained for now. Will have an opportunity to interview with new coach.

Layer had three years left on his contract.
By comet
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Layer had three years left on his contract.
And, in a way, still has three years left. Another Lang tweet suggests Layer will continue to be paid, stating that if DL gets a new job and makes less than in LU contract value then Liberty will make up the difference.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
We benefitted from this type of contract with Ritchie , New Mexico paid him roughly 400,000 to be here, and Liberty paid him about, 200,000 per year to be here. I dont know the exact number But i know they were paying him about double what we were paying him to be here.

Thanks for NOTHING new mexico.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Lang just tweeted the assistant coaches have been retained for now. Will have an opportunity to interview with new coach.

Layer had three years left on his contract.
How many times had we been told that next year was all he had left? This got really expensive
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You don't know the specifics of the contract. It may not be anywhere near as expensive as you think. But one way or the other, making a change is rarely inexpensive.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If it's true JB gave Dale a 4 year extension (not 2 as we thought) based pretty much solely on the tourney run in 2013, then I have to say that was his worst move as our AD. How expensive it turns out to be will depend on where he lands and how much they pay him. If he is feeling vindictive he could always work as a volunteer for his buddy Buzz for the next 3 years courtesy of LUO $$$.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:You don't know the specifics of the contract. It may not be anywhere near as expensive as you think. But one way or the other, making a change is rarely inexpensive.
K
I was just stating what we'd been told
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:We benefitted from this type of contract with Ritchie , New Mexico paid him roughly 400,000 to be here, and Liberty paid him about, 200,000 per year to be here. I dont know the exact number But i know they were paying him about double what we were paying him to be here.

Thanks for NOTHING new mexico.
You are pretty close if not spot-on with the numbers on Ritchie. His total compensation was $600,000 based on his contract with New Mexico.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
I was told last year that he had two years remaining after last season. You can find it in the Delaware game thread from that year. Perhaps Jeff misspoke, but that info came straight from him.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm thinking SJ "misremembered" on the remaining time on Layer's contract. Hard for me to imagine after losing 40 games in 2 years that JB would have given him a 4 year extension just because they won 4 games in March. I hope he is smarter than that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:I was told last year that he had two years remaining after last season. You can find it in the Delaware game thread from that year. Perhaps Jeff misspoke, but that info came straight from him.
I wasn't doubting you I figured you were 'misinformed'
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Lang's latest article (with JB's interview): http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... bf9c5.html
“What I’ve been been told by a lot of ADs in the country is that CSA has come along to be the best basketball search firm,” Barber said. “They can talk to people that’s hard for an AD to get to. Dave Odom is part of that search, and Dave knows every coach in America. He’s highly respected. He can pick up the phone and gets guys on the phone as an AD that I can’t.”

Barber said that by Thursday afternoon, he’d already had about a dozen people contact him about the opening.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:I was told last year that he had two years remaining after last season. You can find it in the Delaware game thread from that year. Perhaps Jeff misspoke, but that info came straight from him.
You do say in today's article that he has 3 years left. I'm gunna guess that is an error.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Jeff said today he had three years remaining after this year. I asked him about that specifically.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]