If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:If they did their jobs they would still have them. Its an utter failure for the whole staff not just dl.
I can't disagree with anything else you said, but I'm going to respond to these two statements.

Your first sentence insinuates they didn't do their jobs. But they weren't relieved of duties for cause, nor were they believed to be lazy. A series of decisions were made, the results of which were less than favorable, and the losing snow-balled. Winning is not the sole job of a head coach, and it should be the byproduct of doing many things well. One cannot claim that the coaches in question did not do their jobs at all on the sole basis that games were lost.

Secondly, one cannot state that each and every staffer - read, "whole staff" - failed. We do not know the inner workings of this particular coaching staff. Being an assistant coach is a lot like being on a roller coaster ride; you have very little control of your own fate or destiny. Assistants make suggestions, heads make decisions. There's no telling what each of these men - or Coach Layer for that matter - could go on to accomplish. "Utter failure" is a very strong phrase; I do not believe it applies in this instance.
By jmmiii
Registration Days Posts
I don't. Wider net. There's a difference between a search and a decision. I think it's wise.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
comet wrote:
krh44 wrote:Is hiring a committee common in hiring a coach these days?
Collegiate Sports Associates is the same group that brought us Turner Gill. *correction: It was Carr Sports, not CSA.

I figured the search for Gill was trying to find someone that could help us go FBS. Just amazed at the money we spend at times.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:
comet wrote:
krh44 wrote:Is hiring a committee common in hiring a coach these days?
Collegiate Sports Associates is the same group that brought us Turner Gill. *correction: It was Carr Sports, not CSA.

I figured the search for Gill was trying to find someone that could help us go FBS. Just amazed at the money we spend at times.
Got to spend it on something to keep that non-profit status.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
krh44 wrote:
Is hiring a committee common in hiring a coach these days?
A hiring committee is basically the AD staying here is the guy I want. You can bring in whoever else to interview but this is the guy.
I think the distinction needs to be made here between a committee and a search firm.

A committee is usually composed of internal employees selected from a balance of areas with a vested interest in the hire. They administer the process in general, and usually present the athletic director with one or more suggestions.

A search firm orchestrates the process externally, and the degree of that orchestration can vary. All of them provide a list of viable candidates giving the employers criteria. The search firm can handle scheduling of interviews and usually conduct far more intense background checks. One benefit to using them is that connections between candidates and administrators are kept more in the dark, keeping the whole search process far more discreet. Some will even go so far as to handle contract negotiations with the successful candidate's agent. And because they are an external entity, the firm is usually paid handsomely for their services. Firms that specialize in such searches have a long list of ready candidates.
By jmmiii
Registration Days Posts
CSA will also be a PR resource. I imagine the timing of the announcement was discussed with them.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Layer will land somewhere no doubt, class act, dating back to his days at Queens in Charlotte.
By Kiwon
Good man, great with the media.

I hope the best for him. But a coaching change was due.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This is what was needed for our program to move forward but I have never felt worse for a guy. He will be a great asset to any program seeking a fantastic assistant coach.

I know people like BJ think this is a happy day for many but it's not. I wanted layer to succeed. He just never did.
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
Will miss coach Layer dearly. Great man. Hope he lands on his feet. Prayers for him and his family and for the assistants as well.

Wish Jeff well is the hiring process.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:I find it interesting that our athletic director hasn't led the search for the next coach in our two biggest sports.
Funny - you make one comment about the AD hiring a firm and all your old friends text you to tell you it's normal.

So there you have it. Disregard me questioning the hiring of a search firm.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Not to be mean but I don't get the "feel bad for Layer" stuff. Understand, I never knew him personally. So, while I have nothing negative to say about him as a person, I also won't echo the "great guy" comments because I don't know him.

What I do know is this. The guy was paid over 300k for one of the best jobs in the world. A job that many of us would DREAM to have. Not only was he privileged to coach at the division 1 level, he also was able to coach his son for four years. How many of you Dads DREAM about being a division 1 coach of anything and having your son play on the team? This isn't like we just fired a professor who was wrongfully accused of a crime. From what I understand, even if he doesn't take another job this season, he will continue to make 300k.

Secondly, he will land on his feet. I would be very surprised if he isn't coaching at Virginia Tech by next season. That team is loaded with really talented freshman. In 2/3 seasons, they will be very good and I'm sure Layer will be offered another division 1 coaching job.

Sorry, but if I had performed this poorly at my job for that length of time, I wouldn't feel sorry for myself either. I'm excited about the new direction.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It had to be done. Poor won-lost record, poor recruiting, empty seats in Vines Center, boring style of play, it all adds up. LU should not be 4 or 5 spots from the very bottom of D1 basketball.
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
From the class of 09 wrote:I mean waiting any amount of time was delaying the inevitable. Glad they got it done with and we can all move on to the next steps.
Yes, because this affected the daily lives of FF readers so much.

You really think the coaches - especially the assistants and support staff - are experiencing only relief that now they can move on? Get real.

We all here are just fans. We know nothing. Have come class and show some dignity for these people who by all accounts have done their jobs and represented the University with plenty of both. Do not denigrate their contributions. Try to resist the temptation to include yourself among them - like you could really do what they do.
I'm just saying it was only a matter of when. No one really thought they were keeping their job after this year, so why wait? So you're saying they would feel better if the admin waited 24hrs to fire them? I meant no discrespect to anyone directly involved but it was obvious that the staff and liberty were parting ways after this year.

Obviously, the way we all are effected is different but we are all stakeholders in this.
Last edited by From the class of 09 on March 5th, 2015, 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By TheGovernor
jmmiii wrote:I would be interested to know why collegiate sports association is being used. IIRC, we used Carr sports associates for football.
Because these guys are more specific to basketball.
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
From the class of 09 wrote:I mean waiting any amount of time was delaying the inevitable. Glad they got it done with and we can all move on to the next steps.

You really think the coaches - especially the assistants and support staff - are experiencing only relief that now they can move on? Get real.

We all here are just fans. We know nothing. Have come class and show some dignity for these people who by all accounts have done their jobs and represented the University with plenty of both. Do not denigrate their contributions. Try to resist the temptation to include yourself among them - like you could really do what they do.
Think about this, it was his "assistants" that helped cost him his job, they are the main ones who failed him, they went out and found these players, DL was the one who signed off on them yes but it was the assistants that made them available. In this messed up situation its safe to say they ALL failed each other. PERIOD
By TheGovernor
Holy Crap. We are sharing some blame now. I cant believe the things that are being said from every angle in this thread :shock:
By comet
Registration Days Posts
TheGovernor wrote:Holy Crap. We are sharing some blame now. I cant believe the things that are being said from every angle in this thread :shock:
I think it's the floor design that's the problem. LU has been struggling, for the most part, since we got rid of that basketball in hell center court design in the late 80s.
By TheGovernor
comet wrote:
TheGovernor wrote:Holy Crap. We are sharing some blame now. I cant believe the things that are being said from every angle in this thread :shock:
I think it's the floor design that's the problem. LU has been struggling, for the most part, since we got rid of that basketball in hell center court design in the late 80s.
:lol:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I wish Coach Layer and his staff nothing but the best moving forward. Hopefully they all find great opportunities quickly. I am grateful to their service to my alma mater.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
forbidden wrote:
JK37 wrote:

Think about this, it was his "assistants" that helped cost him his job, they are the main ones who failed him, they went out and found these players, DL was the one who signed off on them yes but it was the assistants that made them available. In this messed up situation its safe to say they ALL failed each other. PERIOD
forbidden..you must not know very much about the situation..I think there was some frustration towards Layer from the assistant coaches
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
From the class of 09 wrote:I'm just saying it was only a matter of when. No one really thought they were keeping their job after this year, so why wait?
I don't disagree.

My issue was with you lumping yourself in alongside the assistants and other personnel, with a hyperbolic phrase like "we can all move on". Give me a break. But I get it, fans say those kinds of thing all the time.
From the class of 09 wrote:Obviously, the way we all are effected is different...
Honest question: How are you, a "stackholder", affected?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Those are the guys who really are going to have a tough time telling their families about this news. We don't know how much they made since that isn't a matter of the public record, but these guys still have houses or apartment rents to pay for, car payments to make, and probably school tuition as well (since we can't assume that any kids they have went to LCA) among other things. Not only that, but they are going to have to pack up and move again for the next job, wherever it may be.
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]