If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
That was quick and the correct thing to do. I feel bad for him personally, but professionally he didn't get the job done. Good luck to him wherever he goes.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Wow that was quick. Must've already had it ready to go.

Dale Layer was never anything but 100% positive towards me. I'll never say a bad thing about him as a man. I wish him luck wherever he goes next.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
WinthropEagleFan wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
badger74 wrote:had to be done

Source? Details?
http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 56&TeamID=
Ummm :dontgetit
'Layer championed community involvement within his program. Liberty's men's basketball teams worked numerous camps and clinics in local Lynchburg area schools in conjunction with the 21st Century Community Learning Centers initiative.'
:dontgetit
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
I don't think anyone in the college basketball world has anything but good things to say about Dale Layer as a person. And I was impressed with how hard the LU players continued to play this season. One of those instances where you know it had to be done, but hate it on a personal-level.

But yeah, that was an insanely fast announcement. They had that press release ready to go. I can't think of many instances where an announcement has come that soon after the season ended for a team.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Wow that was quick. Maybe they could have let him get back to Lynchburg. That's got to make the bus ride back longer than usual.
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
I mean waiting any amount of time was delaying the inevitable. Glad they got it done with and we can all move on to the next steps.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
I sat near him on flight w/team from Charlotte to L. That was around Thanksgiving. Nobody talked to him and he watched Duke game on his tablet. I thought that was odd but dont know much about SOP either.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:Wow that was quick. Maybe they could have let him get back to Lynchburg. That's got to make the bus ride back longer than usual.
Or this gives him time to decompress at the beach before returning. That's not a bad option either.
I feel most for the assistants
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
From the class of 09 wrote:I mean waiting any amount of time was delaying the inevitable. Glad they got it done with and we can all move on to the next steps.
Yes, because this affected the daily lives of FF readers so much.

You really think the coaches - especially the assistants and support staff - are experiencing only relief that now they can move on? Get real.

We all here are just fans. We know nothing. Have come class and show some dignity for these people who by all accounts have done their jobs and represented the University with plenty of both. Do not denigrate their contributions. Try to resist the temptation to include yourself among them - like you could really do what they do.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
If they did their jobs they would still have them. Its an utter failure for the whole staff not just dl. Doesnt mean anyone enjoys it or wishes it wouldve turned out that way. Besides im pretty sure they all knew it was coming. Put all the pieces together. Ethan suddenly being honored as a senior etc. Wish him and his staff the best but it had to be done.
By comet
Registration Days Posts
As much as I favored a new direction for the program, the timing of this announcement is leaves me scratching my head. Will LU at least give Layer a ride back to Lynchburg?
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
krh44 wrote:Wow that was quick. Maybe they could have let him get back to Lynchburg. That's got to make the bus ride back longer than usual.
Or this gives him time to decompress at the beach before returning. That's not a bad option either.
Yeah there could be worse places to find out the news. I did not know him but have heard nothing but great things about him.

Is hiring a committee common in hiring a coach these days?
By comet
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:Is hiring a committee common in hiring a coach these days?
Collegiate Sports Associates is the same group that brought us Turner Gill. *correction: It was Carr Sports, not CSA.
Last edited by comet on March 5th, 2015, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jmmiii
Registration Days Posts
I would be interested to know why collegiate sports association is being used. IIRC, we used Carr sports associates for football.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Yeah there could be worse places to find out the news. I did not know him but have heard nothing but great things about him.

Is hiring a committee common in hiring a coach these days?
A hiring committee is basically the AD staying here is the guy I want. You can bring in whoever else to interview but this is the guy.
By comet
Registration Days Posts
So just how quickly did Barber make the announcement? The story on Layer's removal was "news" on the Lynchburg News & Advance website before tonight's game recap was posted. Impressive!
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
comet wrote:
Collegiate Sports Associates is the same group that brought us Turner Gill.
No it's not. Carr Sports did the Gill hiring. CSA is doing this one.

I find it interesting that our athletic director hasn't led the search for the next coach in our two biggest sports.
By comet
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
comet wrote:
Collegiate Sports Associates is the same group that brought us Turner Gill.
No it's not. Carr Sports did the Gill hiring. CSA is doing this one.

I find it interesting that our athletic director hasn't led the search for the next coach in our two biggest sports.
Yep, my bad. I thought the groups were the same.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]