If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:Jeff said today he had three years remaining after this year. I asked him about that specifically.
Wow. I understand that we are well set financially, but that doesn't mean good stewardship can go out the window. No way he should have gotten that.
By comet
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Wow. I understand that we are well set financially, but that doesn't mean good stewardship can go out the window. No way he should have gotten that.
He could potentially get nearly $1 million to not work the next three years.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I can see coaches wanting to come to LU. We are successful in other sports . Some of best facilities in the country . With good recruiting we can be a basketball power.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
comet wrote:
olldflame wrote:Wow. I understand that we are well set financially, but that doesn't mean good stewardship can go out the window. No way he should have gotten that.
He could potentially get nearly $1 million to not work the next three years.
And people complain about their tax money going to people not working. Look at where the tuition and donations are going...
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It's all part of the college landscape.

Look at what University of Virginia is paying Mike London to win 3 or 4 games a season.
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think our AD will hit a home run with new coach.
100% agree. Very excited to see this process through.
By Bigsouthking
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
JK37 wrote:Doesn't Dave have a son in coaching, too? Hmmmm.....
Actually, he's got two:
1. Lane @ Missouri http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-baskbl ... ane00.html
2. Ryan @ UNCC http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArtic ... =204929207
Lane isn't coaching anymore, if you remember he got Quin Snyder in trouble at Mizzou, Jeff Meyer actually replaced him on that staff.

And Ryan Odom is the interim coach currently at Charlotte, look like that staff maybe replace after the season.

So hmmmm.... all you want those hires at LU will be a joke.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Jeff Meyer then got Sampson in trouple at IU.
Sampson didn't need any help with that. After what happened at Oklahoma he was on the shortest of leashes, and he still couldn't follow the rules. What Jeff did was trivial, even by NCAA standards.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have always had more concerns about what he might have seen going down around him under Quin at Mizzou. But I had family on the staff that followed him there and they indicated that Jeff's name was still good around Columbia after his departure. The same can't be said for Coach K's boy.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Meyer was completely exonerated in the IU situation. He received a formal letter from the NCAA verifying this. He hasn't gotten anyone in trouble.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Bumping this because Manson just retweeted Layer´s tweet about Peter Moller, who will be playing next year at D2 Metro State in Denver. I can see Peter doing really well at that level if he doesn´t have to take too much ballhandling/playmaking responsibility. Several other updates on former Flames on Layer´s twitter, including Drew Smith going to play pro ball in Latvia and JR Coronado getting some play with the Venezualan national team. Layer is, and always has been a class act. I still find it hard to explain how things went so bad his last few years.

https://twitter.com/coachlayer?original ... 4347912192
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I believe a local kid from my backyard who had no DI scholarships offers out of HS and only one to Marquette after a year of JUCO throws some credit for his late but significant development toward Dale. Jimmy Butler is an impressive endorsement.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
From my limited interactions with DL, he seemed to be a very nice man. He was very approachable and didn't have an ego the size of Alaska, unlike some other former coach(s). That being said, he didn't perform on the floor and that is primarily how coaches are evaluated/measured. We made a change a year or so late, but we probably would not have been able to bring RM back any sooner than we did.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I agree. Great to see him reunite with Jason.
Interesting dynamic there, coaching alongside an assistant he fired just a few years ago. I understand he basically had no choice and I'm sure they have worked all that out between them.

The timing on Dale's decision to take a job that will certainly pay a whole lot less than he is used to is obviously not a coincidence. The free ride on the JB gravy train is over. I'm sure IM will put that 370 grand to good use.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:I agree. Great to see him reunite with Jason.
Interesting dynamic there, coaching alongside an assistant he fired just a few years ago. I understand he basically had no choice and I'm sure they have worked all that out between them.

The timing on Dale's decision to take a job that will certainly pay a whole lot less than he is used to is obviously not a coincidence. The free ride on the JB gravy train is over. I'm sure IM will put that 370 grand to good use.
There's a good chance Jason helped get Dale that job. I got a late night text from Eaker the other night asking me to come down and watch them practice and hang out with he and Dale and also former Josh Davis, son of former RD assistant Bob Davis.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]