If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Absolutely awful.

If you didn't make it, be glad. It was disorganized, no energy and was just a big clustercrap of nothing.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
You mean Fire up the Furnace. The Faith in the Furnace t-shirt isn't bad.

I left my notes in the car but I'll shoot from the hip right here:

1) Can we have some music? Is that possible? I could barely make out whatever they were playing tonight. Relient K during a dunk contest, much less that song they were playing? I'm disappointed.

2) The contest where the guys and girls paired up was horrible. It was supposed to be one team on the court at a time and the guys and girls were supposed to alternate shots. Apparently me and Bill Simmons are the only ones who watch the NBA All-Star game.

3) There was no energy at all. The cheerleaders chanted "Let's go LU." Is that all they could do? Really? C'mon now.

4) Have you ever been stuck at the back entrance because the train stopped on the track? One by one, cars get tired of sitting there and end up going back down the other way to get back to Wards Road. That's pretty much what was happening tonight.

5) The whole thing was disorganized. The "games" weren't interesting, and there was nothing to get the fans involved or anything like that.

6) This was Midnight Madness. The dunk contest was nice and all (even though it was horrible) but what we really want to see is how the team is going to be. A ten minute scrimmage for each team is what you're supposed to do at Midnight Madness. That's what we wanted to see.

The alumni game was actually pretty fun to watch. Scar airballed a layup and shot on the wrong basket. Good times. Pictures later.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Another thing, you couldn't understand what Josh was saying. That's not Josh's fault because he's a good announcer. The PA system was just horrible.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
I really enjoyed watching Sneed throw that dunk down. The alumni game was good considering the number of threes made......
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The alumni game was actually pretty interesting. I would've liked to have a little music thrown over top of it just for entertainment purposes.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:Absolutely awful.

If you didn't make it, be glad. It was disorganized, no energy and was just a big clustercrap of nothing.
I definitely agree with you there. There was too much dead time and it was boring. It was just plain pathetic.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Its a once a year deal so they don't get much practice at running it.

Glad to hear the old hags put ona show for you. I'm waiting to hear Scar's explanation of the layup. :D
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Its a once a year deal so they don't get much practice at running it.
So all these other schools can get it right doing it once a year but we can't?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
:P

Just trying to keep it real on homecoming weekend.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If you say so.

I'm just disappointed because it could've been so much better. What is it with our school and promotions? Do we not believe in them? Is it against the Liberty Way? Can we not give out a free sandwich from Chik Fil A every so often? Free throw contests between students, whoever made the most in a minute got a free sandwich. Half court shooting contest. Three point shooting contest. Get the students involved. Do the contest where two people start at one end of the court and have to run down, put the jersey and shorts on, and then dribble back to the other end. There are so many things you can do. There shouldn't be as much dead time as there was. I'll stop. I know people are getting mad as they read this.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Scar did airball a layup though.

That was entertaining in itself.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
TD, I think we figured out why too.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Too many trips to Vinny's?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Nah. You don't to know our reason though.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
OK,

I don't remember the airball. I am kinda like Shallow Hall when I look in the mirror at myself. I see a slim point guard with skills but the rest of the world sees an old guy that has lost his ability to function. :lol: I am up at 3 AM playing playstation with Chris Toomer and Brian Woodson to get my athletic thrills through the video screen I guess. As far as the shot on the wrong goal, for 2 mintues both teams were shooting at the wrong goal. It was very surreal but histerical. It was very fun and I am having a blast with my fellow hooper. Great to see some of you guys at the hockey game and I can't wait to see you all tomorrow morning at the tailgate.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
And LU is supposed to have a well-knowd Sport Management Program and marketing program. Seems like if you have Wednesday Night Church league basketball folks running it then that's what you get. Why don't they make these events a project or special elective class in the business/sports management/marketing departments to develop and put on?

On the music thing, the program director needs to branch out from what's available in the LU bookstore or a left over 80's jock jams cd IMO.

Edited to atone for "the cardinal sin." Three Hail Mary's and One Point after...oh, wait, wrong theology...
Last edited by PeterParker on October 15th, 2006, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Haize would have done it up right.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like this was awful. I'll admit when I was at LU 4 or 5 years ago, we did these midnight madness things also. There's only so much you get out of them. The best part is usually just seeing the new team. When was it a few years back that they put together a highlight video of the players. I believe it was Blair's freshman season. That was a pretty good intro to the team. The worst madness I can remember was the year they did it after the concert. The concert was over and they couldn't get the stage off the floor. The only used half court, if I remember right.

One thing I do remember when I was at LU was the promotions. It sounds like they must have someone else in charge of this area. They were always giving things away when I was at LU.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
A.G. wrote:Haize would have done it up right.
Still trying to get your grade changed?
Easy on the 80's music pal, I bought those CD's and the Jock Jams.
But these things ARE very difficult to put together. I do know that we used to have half court shots, hot shot competitions and afew other things. It is VERY important to keep the whole thing under an hour otherwise you lose the audience. Add to that the fact you are dealing with two different personalities when it comes to this thing which results in never having a sequence of events until say 11:58 it does make the job difficult. (Of course the REAL fun was giving a deadline for what the coaches wanted accomplished and if they didnt turn one in, making your own. They LOVED that.)
As for you slite of the Sport Management Department, you obviously didn't graduate from the degree program our you would know you have already commited the cardinal sin!! (A.G. will give you that answer) But we DID have one of the best SMGT programs in the country. After that crew left, it was run by people who had no SMGT experience and I can't speak for the state or qualityof the current program. (And that is not just Professional Pride speaking either)
I don't know who put this one together, and was not there so cant' comment. I do agree the year with the highlight reel was pretty cool.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
Easy on the 80's music pal, I bought those CD's and the Jock Jams.
I like 80's throwback music as much as the next guy, but LU seems to raid only the contemprorary christian music and make it fit a basketball game. Also, while the occasional jock jams serves a purpose, having the cd on a continuous loop could be considred cruel and unusual punishment.

As for you slite (sic) of the Sport Management Department
Perhaps I should clarify, my point was that LU has a solid/award winning SMGT program, yet the other school officials who put these things seem to not consult the people with the expertise (similar to having business professors who have real world big business experience, but not consulting with that resource for institutional/business improvement processes.)

It was not meant as a slight on the SMGT program (Proto's success is a glowing endorsement of the program) but on the people who create these things neglecting to tap into the available resources on campus (in this situation, consulting with the people with SMGT/marketing experience.)

It's all good purple, we're on the same page.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
i thought it could have been better also. you guys are right there was alot of dead time. promoting was bad also, nothing said in convo. i also wish we can have better sound too SJ, but hopefully when brew, blair, and smitty are making those big plays we wont be able to hear anything anyway because the crowd is so loud. we should have been promoting this from about 2 weeks ago. but winning is all that matters, and i think coach D is gonna have a good team out there for all of us to enjoy

p.s. can someone tell me how come our cheerleaders can't dance????
By pbow
Registration Days Posts
All I have to say is at any kind of event involving basketball, hip-hop should be played and nothing else...even if we only play the instrumentals. Basketball and hip-hop go hand in hand.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
yea i agree. i always make the cd's... it's all hip-hop instrumentals, and the players like it. but the guys that control the music always play it low.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PETER Got nothing but love baby. I was just saying you uttered the unutterable word!!
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
the whole deal was awful. the hight light was the alumni game. it was food to see chris toomer, d-curb, darrius, jody chapman, and brett anthony from back in the day. bailey looked good as well as charles richardson, and ed gomes outplayed a lot of the youngsters, and of course i cannot forget by brotha SCAR. yeah he missed some shots, but he played well...for an OLD man!! :D
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]