If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Not too hard to guess who probably pointed him in our direction. Hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't expect too much. If this kid were a stud, he would be on his way to Blacksburg, not Lynchburg.
By Kiwon
olldflame wrote:Not too hard to guess who probably pointed him in our direction. Hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't expect too much. If this kid were a stud, he would be on his way to Blacksburg, not Lynchburg.
Yeah, he's a bum. Just had interest from 41 D-1 schools.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/285252111.html

Maybe the guy just wants to play? He played last year but has just 4 minutes on the court with his new coaches this season.

Braxton Bonds has exactly ZERO minutes in a game at Tennessee so far. If he were at LU he would have already started several games.

There's nothing wrong with a three-star recruit looking to play and develop his skills on the court. Compared to what we've got right now, it's hard to imagine he wouldn't be an upgrade.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Kiwon wrote:
olldflame wrote:Not too hard to guess who probably pointed him in our direction. Hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't expect too much. If this kid were a stud, he would be on his way to Blacksburg, not Lynchburg.
Yeah, he's a bum. Just had interest from 41 D-1 schools.

Maybe the guy just wants to play? He played last year but has just 4 minutes on the court with his new coaches this season.

Braxton Bonds has exactly ZERO minutes in a game at Tennessee so far. If he were at LU he would have already started several games.

There's nothing wrong with a three-star recruit looking to play and develop his skills on the court. Compared to what we've got right now, it's hard to imagine he wouldn't be an upgrade.
This is where we start quoting Proverbs, right?

"Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife." Proverbs 21:19 - New International Version
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I didn't see where anyone called him a bum. The star system in HS basketball recruiting is even less reliable than in football. He averaged 2 points in 10 minutes a game for Buzz and has been at the end of the bench for Wojo. That doesn't mean he won't be an upgrade for us, but I will be pleasantly surprised if he makes a huge impact. It's not much of a stretch to say he probably reached out to Williams when he decided he wanted to transfer, and Buzz referred him to Layer. I don't know exactly what the depth chart looks like for the Hokies at guard, but apparently the coach that recruited him to Marquette didn't think he had a spot for him at VT.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
He's a coach's son:
David Dawson, a coach in New Mexico with 37 years of experience, wanted things to work out for his son at Marquette and said he was glad when John chose to go there.

"He's a 19-year-old kid," he said. "He chose a school that's 1300 miles away from where he lives, so you know he's serious about his craft. ...
By Kiwon
adam42381 wrote:
kiwon wrote:Yeah, he's a bum. Just had interest from 41 D-1 schools.

This is where we start quoting Proverbs, right?

"Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife." Proverbs 21:19 - New International Version
:shock: So you're comparing Dale Layer to a nagging wife and that's why Braxton Bonds transferred?

Maybe you should follow Shane Pinder's example about spiritual application that you were mocking earlier. - https://www.flamefans.com/forums/viewto ... =7&t=22362
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
they're breaking your stones @ dragging Jewish proverbs into NCAA sports

not to mention expecting secular universities to use law from the Torah to govern their state institutions

the point is; trying seeing the forest for the trees- its called a joke

lighten up Francis
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:they're breaking your stones @ dragging Jewish proverbs into NCAA sports

not to mention expecting secular universities to use law from the Torah to govern their state institutions

the point is; trying seeing the forest for the trees- its called a joke

lighten up Francis
You will always be my 'big toe' Sgt Hulka
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
John´s name keeps coming up when people who have been around this squad talk, most recently from Jesse Sanders. Too bad we have to wait til the end of first semester for him to play. If our other new guards step up, I could see us using 3 true guards some, with Dawson at the 3.
By Flamerz
olldflame wrote:John´s name keeps coming up when people who have been around this squad talk, most recently from Jesse Sanders. Too bad we have to wait til the end of first semester for him to play. If our other new guards step up, I could see us using 3 true guards some, with Dawson at the 3.
I think Dawson is gonna do good things at Liberty. He played at Marquette where the Guards are way better than here so his game should easily translate to the Big South... At least one would think.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
We've had guards transfer to LU from big time programs before--years ago, Coach Meyer brought in a transfer PG from either USC or UCLA and a transfer from Rutgers (Bailey Alston), Hanky brought in a transfer guard from WVU ( :rofl ), and even RD brought in a transfer PG from UVa.

Some did well here; others did not live up to the hype, but we wish the very best for Dawson. Play Basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Based on reports about his performance in practice, I´m hopeful Dawson can be a big contributor. As far as his time at Marquette is concerned, it´s a bit of a stretch to say he ¨played¨ there. He was on the team. If he had been playing meaningful minutes, he would no doubt still be a Warrior.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:We've had guards transfer to LU from big time programs before--years ago, Coach Meyer brought in a transfer PG from either USC or UCLA and a transfer from Rutgers (Bailey Alston), Hanky brought in a transfer guard from WVU ( :rofl ), and even RD brought in a transfer PG from UVa.

Some did well here; others did not live up to the hype, but we wish the very best for Dawson. Play Basketball
USC, the kid was left handed and was pretty good on both offense and defense. I believe he played on the same team as Sorenson. Could drive to the hoop pretty well. Hope Dawson turns out to be a good one.
By Dewayne
First hand info is that Dawson can play and research shows that Marquette lost 3 other players due to transfer during the new coaching change. Sometimes it's not that the player can't play
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry defeated […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]