If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Theres a 7"2 freshman playing at faith christian a private high school in roanoke. We should just offer him now with this recruiting. Love the other 4 recruits, skeptical on this one. Its very strange that you cant find time for a guy that size at the high school level
That was in relation to maxwell, this years signee

Brendan Newton
7' 2" Center
Roanoke (VA) Faith Christian

ESPN Profile 4- :star

Rivals Profile 3- :star

Scout Profile 3- :star

247sports Profile 3- :star

Verbal Commits Profile

MaxPreps Profile
Last edited by jinxy on November 20th, 2013, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Theres a 7"2 freshman playing at faith christian a private high school in roanoke. We should just offer him now with this recruiting. Love the other 4 recruits, skeptical on this one. Its very strange that you cant find time for a guy that size at the high school level
See, you can take a chance on a 7'2 kid, so I would! Oh wait, would he be considered local? Cause that would be a non starter :twisted:
By Dr. Sheh
Registration Days Posts
Our team (I coach New Covenant Schools) will play that 7'2" kid this year in a conference game December 20th. I'll let everyone know how he is.

In regards to Evan, hope he works out but count me skeptical as well. Russell Monroe had questionable competition and he never panned out, so I'll take a wait and see approach.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
. If he develops at all he should have a lot looks. We need to get olinger or some of assistants with him once contact can be made
Last edited by jinxy on November 19th, 2013, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Yah i work with his uncle. He needs added muscle and lbs as you would expect. Are 7 footers normally that tall at that age. If he develops at all he should have a lot looks. We need to get olinger or some of assistants with him once contact can be made
It varies. I wouldn't think its either or. As long as he can protect the basket he'll be fine. I'd be more than willing to help him :D
I would imagine at this level he will get a lot of tricky tack fouls called. I would love to go see him in action.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Dr. Sheh wrote:Our team (I coach New Covenant Schools) will play that 7'2" kid this year in a conference game December 20th.
Is this a Lynchburg or Roanoke game? If Lynchburg, maybe Purple and I and a few other coaches and/or Flame Fans can come out and evaluate his D1 potential. :shock:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Dr. Sheh wrote:Our team (I coach New Covenant Schools) will play that 7'2" kid this year in a conference game December 20th.
Is this a Lynchburg or Roanoke game? If Lynchburg, maybe Purple and I and a few other coaches and/or Flame Fans can come out and evaluate his D1 potential. :shock:
You? A 'fellow coach'. That's funny right there, I don't care who you are. :rofl but I wouldn't mind taking a peek.
By Dr. Sheh
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
The game is in Roanoke, part of a weekend tournament. MaxPreps lists him as 6'9" as a freshman so he's still may have lots of room to grow.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dr. Sheh wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
The game is in Roanoke, part of a weekend tournament. MaxPreps lists him as 6'9" as a freshman so he's still may have lots of room to grow.
I thought this kid was a Frosh :dontgetit so he's a Soph? Being 6'9" as a Frosh and growing to 7'2" makes sense
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dr. Sheh wrote:FYI...here's a link the player page, kid's name is Brendan Newton. Scored 13 points in his first VACA game as a freshman, but our conference competition varies widely and is usually mediocre. Sorry if I am hijacking the thread.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/brendan ... efault.htm
Yeah the VACa isn't a hotbed of D1 talent.
Most 7' ers need developed.
Perhaps he should have his own thread
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Contact with freshmen can't be initiated by coaches. The kid or his family can initiate the contact and the staff is able to respond. I have been working with a friend's son in a similar situation for another sport interested in LU. It appears the kid is already creating a buzz from the AAU circuit where contact with coaches is much more common. Here's a mention from a guy named Chad Myers who follows hoops recruiting in Roanoke and beyond:
hoopgroup.com wrote:Brendan Newton | Faith Christian HS (V.A.) | 7-0 | 2017

Potential, potential, potential. Brendan is the most intriguing prospect of the day he is only a freshman and stands at 7’0 tall. Brendan has a good motor and wants to be good. If this continues he could have a chance to play at a very high level.
Click Here for Source
By Dr. Sheh
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Dr. Sheh wrote:FYI...here's a link the player page, kid's name is Brendan Newton. Scored 13 points in his first VACA game as a freshman, but our conference competition varies widely and is usually mediocre. Sorry if I am hijacking the thread.

Yeah, it's rare to have D1 talent in the VACa. Last big one was A.D. Vassalo who when to Tech.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dr. Sheh wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Yeah, it's rare to have D1 talent in the VACa. Last big one was A.D. Vassalo who when to Tech.
And he wasn't the best player on the team!
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Coach Hicks over at Cave Spring has tried to get his teeth into Brendan and have him transfer to Cave Spring. He is not 7'2", I would say 6'11''. I agree that all big men need development, but he needs more than that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Coach Hicks over at Cave Spring has tried to get his teeth into Brendan and have him transfer to Cave Spring. He is not 7'2", I would say 6'11''. I agree that all big men need development, but he needs more than that.
Playing better competition would help
By flameslinger
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I have scoured the interwebs and have yet to see a picture of this kid.

From Feb 2012, 7th grade AAU team picture.

Roanoke Times box scores shows he had 12 points and 10 boards in a loss this week.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Looks like he could stand to hit the gym. Hopefully he gets a chance to bulk up in the next couple years
He was in 7th grade when that picture was taken. You want him to slam some HGH or something? Geez.
By Dr. Sheh
Registration Days Posts
For what it's worth, saw this kid at the LU game vs Radford. After playing against him during the High School BBall season, his offensive game is virtually non-existent. He does not play aggressively either, but he'll have plenty of time to work on that since he just wrapped up his freshman campaign.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]