If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I would say our major concern is UVA. They have offered 5 star 7 footer Thon Maker for 2016 and 7'1" 5 star Ikey Abiagu and 6'10" 4 star Dajour Dickens (from Miller School in Albemarle) for 2017. The competition for Maker and Abiagu is stiff to say the least. If UVA gets a commit from either of them, I doubt they will offer Newton. If not, they may go after him, in which case for a kid like Brendan, the chance to play for Tony Bennett might be hard to resist.
By PAFlame
Forgive my cautiousness, but I'm wary of these hyped up big guys (a la "5 star prospect" James Johnson). I hope he turns out to be something special, but we don't have his commit yet, and who knows, we can't put all the eggs in the basket before they hatch.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
PAFlame wrote:Forgive my cautiousness, but I'm wary of these hyped up big guys (a la "5 star prospect" James Johnson). I hope he turns out to be something special, but we don't have his commit yet, and who knows, we can't put all the eggs in the basket before they hatch.
Brendan actually played some pickup ball against Johnson and some of our other players when he was just 16. He was blocking everything inside and James (who had about 6 years and 50 pounds on him) ended up getting pretty physical with him, but the kid didn't back down. He is 7'3" and at least 220 now, and is a legit game changer on defense.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:Brendan's been getting rave reviews in the VA Top-80 camp. He apparently dwarfed 6'10 Qudus Wahab.
He made the 6'10" C from Mountain Mission who has signed with Hurley at AZ St. look like a midget too. I think Brendan is every bit of 7'3" now and will likely be 7'4" by the time he is a college student.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sources tell me that Brendan was on campus TODAY visiting with his family on what they call "Liberty Mondays," and his mom is an LU alumna from the 1990s.
BJWilliams wrote:Boo Williams is a legend on the AAU circuit...he will be working with a great one.
Easy there. There is a difference between great and legend.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Brendan was named top defender at the Phenom Hoops VA top 80 camp. 6'8" FRESHMAN Oscar Tshiebwe from Mountain Mission was best player. One unfortunate repercussion of Hansel Atencia not staying at LU is it may make us less attractive to the ever growing pool of international talent there in Grundy.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I would say our major concern is UVA. They have offered 5 star 7 footer Thon Maker for 2016 and 7'1" 5 star Ikey Abiagu and 6'10" 4 star Dajour Dickens (from Miller School in Albemarle) for 2017. The competition for Maker and Abiagu is stiff to say the least. If UVA gets a commit from either of them, I doubt they will offer Newton. If not, they may go after him, in which case for a kid like Brendan, the chance to play for Tony Bennett might be hard to resist.
Even with Maker heading to the draft, its not a slam dunk (no pun intended) that they offer Newton.

We have a chance for potentially a "once in a generation" dominant big if we can get him signed.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
soccer7 wrote:I thought we lost one international player because we picked up another international that was a better player and was a better fit for RMK's system?
While I have no ínside info, it's pretty clear that Hansel was encouraged to transfer because he was a defensive liability. The fact that Pacheco is also an international p!ayer is almost certainly cooincidental.

I was referring to the truly amazing stream of high level talent from all over the world which is flowing through tiny Mountain Mission School, coached by a former LU grad assistant. We sort of have a foot in the door with that, although he may not be too pleased that we fired Layer. Having his former PG could have possibly opened the door a bit wider, but it wasn't to be.
Last edited by olldflame on April 25th, 2016, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
olldflame wrote:I would say our major concern is UVA. They have offered 5 star 7 footer Thon Maker for 2016 and 7'1" 5 star Ikey Abiagu and 6'10" 4 star Dajour Dickens (from Miller School in Albemarle) for 2017. The competition for Maker and Abiagu is stiff to say the least. If UVA gets a commit from either of them, I doubt they will offer Newton. If not, they may go after him, in which case for a kid like Brendan, the chance to play for Tony Bennett might be hard to resist.
Even with Maker heading to the draft, its not a slam dunk (no pun intended) that they offer Newton.

We have a chance for potentially a "once in a generation" dominant big if we can get him signed.
The Cavs have signed 2 4-star bigs this year to go with Jack Salt. They would love to get Obiagu in 2017, but so would every other top program in the country. I'm kind of starting to think that Bennett may have decided not to offer Brendan as a courtesy to Ritchie. He definately owes him one.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]