If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

jinxy wrote:Im not 100 percent sure but i believe he will be having a signing ceremony tom. It will be good to make it official.
Spring signing period starts 4/12, so that makes sense. Also with the announcement that Reid is transferring, we likely will be able to give Brendan a scholarship.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Get him to campus ASAP and park him in that new weight room. It has windows and will be close to the new dining facility. I assume it also has WiFi. Lock him in there with @hoopsdiaries and don't let him out until he is at least 26Olbs. He can take online classes and volunteers can drop off food. All he needs is a big extra long cot.

Can't wait to see where he is by his SR year.
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Get him to campus ASAP and park him in that new weight room. It has windows and will be close to the new dining facility. I assume it also has WiFi. Lock him in there with @hoopsdiaries and don't let him out until he is at least 26Olbs. He can take online classes and volunteers can drop off food. All he needs is a big extra long cot.

Can't wait to see where he is by his SR year.
Lol, well good thing he'll be sitting out his freshman year. He can build up some and improve his techniques.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
One of my first thoughts on Brendan is that I think we are sandbagging on his actual height. He has been listed as 7'2" since he was 15. I have seen him standing with guys who are listed at 6'10", and he TOWERS over them. My guess is he is closer to 7'4".

Because he has grown so tall, so fast, it is possible he may become the exception to Ritchie's policy of not doing developmental red shirts. I can see where his 4 years playing may be more productive if he has a year under our staff to allow his strength and skills to catch up with his body, but I'm not so sure we will go through with it if Brendan demonstrates in summer and pre-season practices that he can make us a better team right away.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:One of my first thoughts on Brendan is that I think we are sandbagging on his actual height. He has been listed as 7'2" since he was 15. I have seen him standing with guys who are listed at 6'10", and he TOWERS over them. My guess is he is closer to 7'4".

Because he has grown so tall, so fast, it is possible he may become the exception to Ritchie's policy of not doing developmental red shirts. I can see where his 4 years playing may be more productive if he has a year under our staff to allow his strength and skills to catch up with his body, but I'm not so sure we will go through with it if Brendan demonstrates in summer and pre-season practices that he can make us a better team right away.
Having a rim protector helps make the defense RMK likes to run a lot more effective. Don't need to be a wide body to do that when you are that tall
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
7'2 is accurate. He can help us defensively right away. Offenaively he's a couple years away from being a force. He does have pretty decent free throw technique and percentages.
Sly Fox wrote:That is a good thing because when he has the ball in the post he's going to be a foul magnet.
Just the mental image of him trying to dodge these disconnected hands flying Iron-Man style around the court. Thanks!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:I'm willing to put down a $1 that Brendan doesn't see the court this season.
Too rich for my blood. 8)

Our staff may have a good idea right now about whether they will redshirt Brendan or not, and maybe they are leaning toward sitting him, but that is not a decision that needs to be made any time soon, and you can bet they are leaving all options open.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Roanoke Star wrote:Faith Christian Big Man Going To Liberty

May 2, 2017
By Gene Marrano

After four years as the big man – literally – on the Faith Christian School boys basketball team, 7-footer Brendan Newton has signed to play for Liberty University.

Newton helped the Warriors win two state titles in their Christian school division and a national state tournament during his tenure at the southwest Roanoke County school. He expects to be redshirted in his freshman year, focusing on gaining some weight and getting stronger.
Click Here for Story
7'2" and 235? That freshman 15 can't be added soon enough. Good call on the cake. I hope he had some ice cream, too. :wink:
Cider Jim wrote:7'2" and 235? That freshman 15 can't be added soon enough. Good call on the cake. I hope he had some ice cream, too. :wink:
Ralph Sampson's FR year at UVA, I believe he was listed at 215 at 7'4"

BTW, I am still convinced Newton is closer to 7'4" than 7'2". And we do hear it from his own mouth in that article that he is planning to redshirt this year.
oldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:7'2" and 235? That freshman 15 can't be added soon enough. Good call on the cake. I hope he had some ice cream, too. :wink:
Ralph Sampson's FR year at UVA, I believe he was listed at 215 at 7'4"

BTW, I am still convinced Newton is closer to 7'4" than 7'2". And we do hear it from his own mouth in that article that he is planning to redshirt this year.
He's no Ralph Sampson
Yes he said he was redshirting
He could be a VERY good post in the conference given a year of seasoning with Coach McKay and his staff
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]