If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Where he started was low-major, not mid-major.
I don´t necessarily disagree, but I´m used to hearing LU and others like us called mid-major because the consensus in the media and general discourse as well is to ignore the exhistance of such a thing as a low-major category.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Mid major is anything not in a power conference with a few conferences being debatable. We are a mid major. There is no such thing as low major. But of course its all unofficial and arbitrary anyway
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Mid major is anything not in a power conference with a few conferences being debatable. We are a mid major. There is no such thing as low major. But of course its all unofficial and arbitrary anyway
Mid means middle, you can't have a middle tier if you don't have a low tier. But I do agree it's all arbitrary as Gonzaga is far from a mid-major at this point based on national on-court success, recruiting, and money (ranked 60th overall in men's basketball expenses for 2014, higher than quite a few power conference teams), but they satisfy just about every other mid-major criteria.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
"Low-major" is a common enough term now that it can't be ignored. And if sport spending were the deciding criteria, LU might be midmajor.

I tend to draw the line based on conferences, with some exceptions. In basketball, leagues like CUSA and A10 are midmajor. SWAC, MEAC, Big South, Northeast, MAAC - these are low majors. If your a single-bid league EVERY year, and your champion is a 15- or 16-seed EVERY year...you're in a low-major league.

Multi-bid leagues outside the P5 are mid-majors.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:"Low-major" is a common enough term now that it can't be ignored. And if sport spending were the deciding criteria, LU might be midmajor.

I tend to draw the line based on conferences, with some exceptions. In basketball, leagues like CUSA and A10 are midmajor. SWAC, MEAC, Big South, Northeast, MAAC - these are low majors. If your a single-bid league EVERY year, and your champion is a 15- or 16-seed EVERY year...you're in a low-major league.

Multi-bid leagues outside the P5 are mid-majors.
I don´t doubt that some coaches and others associated with the game use the term,and I think you probably have it pegged pretty well as to how it should be. Now show me a profile in Scout or Rivals that refers to a player as a ¨Low-Major¨prospect. Show me a season preview mag that refers to the teams in the BSC or MEAC as ¨Low-Major¨. Play me a clip of a PxP announcer introducing a game as a battle between 2 ¨Low-Major¨rivals. They don´t do it. Maybe they should, but they don´t.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:If someone says it (or doesn't say it), that settles it. Yes, of course!
Actually, yes, in most cases we do call things what other people call them. That´s how we got languages. I agree that teams in conferences like the BSC should probably be called low major, but the fact is they usually aren´t. Guess I´m not much of a trend setter where things like that are concerned.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
JK37 wrote:If someone says it (or doesn't say it), that settles it. Yes, of course!
Actually, yes, in most cases we do call things what other people call them. That´s how we got languages. I agree that teams in conferences like the BSC should probably be called low major, but the fact is they usually aren´t. Guess I´m not much of a trend setter where things like that are concerned.
No one calls a team from the Big South a mid major because no Big South team does anything worth talking about.

The real question is whether the consistent 29-34th tared conferences should be called major at all!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Schfourteenteen wrote:
olldflame wrote:
No one calls a team from the Big South a mid major because no Big South team does anything worth talking about.

The real question is whether the consistent 29-34th tared conferences should be called major at all!
Actually, they do. I´m not saying it´s deserved, but that is still the most common term used for any team that is not in a high major conference, no matter how bad.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Just because something is/isn't commonly stated doesn't make it true/false. Being on a Liberty message board, we should all know that by now.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
For those wondering, Bonds' former high school teammate at CPA Braxton Blackwell (now Braxton Key) has committed to Alabama.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
My man Avery Johnson really following a fast learning curve on his first try at college coaching. He already had a verbal from 5 star and top 10 overall SG Terrance Ferguson out of Dallas, and now a very popular 4 star commodity in Braxton, who is apparently going by Braxton Key now, plus a 3 star JUCO. A bit surprised on Key. I thought it looked like Shaka had him locked up.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:My man Avery Johnson really following a fast learning curve on his first try at college coaching. He already had a verbal from 5 star and top 10 overall SG Terrance Ferguson out of Dallas, and now a very popular 4 star commodity in Braxton, who is apparently going by Braxton Key now, plus a 3 star JUCO. A bit surprised on Key. I thought it looked like Shaka had him locked up.
Maybe he got married :dontgetit
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:My man Avery Johnson really following a fast learning curve on his first try at college coaching. He already had a verbal from 5 star and top 10 overall SG Terrance Ferguson out of Dallas, and now a very popular 4 star commodity in Braxton, who is apparently going by Braxton Key now, plus a 3 star JUCO. A bit surprised on Key. I thought it looked like Shaka had him locked up.
Avery is not playing around. The biggest question with him was can he recruit. I think he's showing people he can.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I've been around Avery om a regular basis for over two decades. The biggest question was never about whether he could recruit. He can charm with the best of them. The question is whether he can manage the outside influences that can disrupt college locker rooms. He had trouble doing that with grown-ups in the Association.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I've been around Avery om a regular basis for over two decades. The biggest question was never about whether he could recruit. He can charm with the best of them. The question is whether he can manage the outside influences that can disrupt college locker rooms. He had trouble doing that with grown-ups in the Association.
The best thing going for Avery Johnson at the moment is his connection to Pop. As soon as K steps down and the national team is handed over to Popovich, if I'm Avery, I'm on the horn jockeying for the US U-18 job.

While Chris Collins is at a severe disadvantage at Northwestern, Wojo is reaping the benefits at Marquette.

That extra time to scout some of the fringe top-24 guys would be invaluable to him.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Coming out of JUCO, Braxton currently has 4 offers. ODU, Towson, Coastal and RADFORD. So much for staying close to home.
If he lands at any of those schools I will have an excellent chance to call some of his games. I wish the kid well. I just hate to see when guys play at 20 places from HS thru College. It usually means Talented but is a Problem. Hopefully he will get to one of these schools and play out his career with good numbers and some wins (unless it is Radford :P )
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
If I had to pick a place Id rather he end up at as opposed to Liberty, Id go with ODU. The Monarchs just lost a great one in former Campbell product Trey Freeman who will be playing in the PIT this week near my house.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:If I had to pick a place Id rather he end up at as opposed to Liberty, Id go with ODU. The Monarchs just lost a great one in former Campbell product Trey Freeman who will be playing in the PIT this week near my house.
But when he left LU he cited the distance from home as the primary reason, and ODU is another 4 hours or so from Nashville. That was 2 years ago and maybe he has just grown up. If he still wants to be close to home I would think Belmont would be an option, with or without a scholarship.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if he has grown up a bit after the year at Clifton State.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

At 6'9" I wouldn't be surprised if he were th[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]