If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
pop wrote:Not that it matters but I can assure you there was no backroom dealings going on, especially at UT. I'm a big Alabama fan and would have turned UT in myself if there had been.
Love it pops. :lol:

I miss the days of Phil Full-Of-It. The rivalry doesn't have much zing right now. :football
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
There is no question they are hurting badly at the PG position. The senior who probably would have started this year was also a walkon, and he tore his ACL in a pickup game. If eligible Bonds will play a lot, and might actually start. Looking at the circumstances I really can't see how a waiver is justified, but it's the NCAA. Not a lot they do makes sense.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Probably not eligible then since he was apparently impressing in preseason practice. You would think a player impressing would get playing time if he were eligible. Not like we're talking Kentucky here where the 11th and 12th man can impress in practice and still ride the bench.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Nashville (TN) Tennessean wrote:Former CPA star Braxton Bonds to redshirt after UT’s waiver denied
Matt Slovin, mslovin@tennessean.com 2:03 p.m. CST January 5, 2015

KNOXVILLE – Braxton Bonds’ waiver request to play this season has been denied by the NCAA, Tennessee men’s basketball coach Donnie Tyndall announced Monday.

The freshman guard out of Christ Presbyterian Academy originally enrolled at Liberty University this summer but left after a week of classes because of homesickness.

“He will not get to play this season,” Tyndall said at his weekly press conference. “He will redshirt and have four years of eligibility left.”
Click Here for Full Story
By PAFlame
The NCAA shockingly made the right call here. I will say that we should not feel anger or resentment towards Braxton for his decision. Sometimes a program (academically/athletically) is just not a good fit, and we are seeing it more and more with such high attrition rates in graduate schools (very intelligent people withdrawing mind you). I wish Braxton the best.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:When a player signs with a school, he should stay there 4 years.
Bullcrap
Yeah you can't put those kinds of handcuffs on kids and not hold coaches/Athletic Directors to their contracts. Transferring is a way of life in the NCAAs. Georgia State Head Coach Ron Hunter and ODU HC Jeff Jones are just 2 coaches recently who told me that you have to be willing to take transfers and go after them after they get their releases. GSU has Ryan Harrow from UK and Kevin Ware from Louisville, both of whom own National Championship rings. Ware of course is the kid that had the horrific leg injury for the Cardinals a couple of years ago. Jeff Jones got Trey Freeman from Campbell and he has helped propel ODU to the top 25 in the nation for the 1st time in school history!

Coach Hunter told me back in December that at the end of the semester THIS SEASON there were no fewer than 50 division 1 kids looking to transfer. They don't all work out for the kid or for the school but it has to be allowed to happen. The NCAA has granted a ton of waivers in recent years to let kids play right away when they transfer too. Then you have guys like Evan Gordon that understand the NCAA rules so well that they get to extend their careers at 3 different schools.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:When a player signs with a school, he should stay there 4 years.
Bullcrap
The penalty of sitting out a year for transfers is actually a pretty strong disincentive, yet they are still doing it in ever increasing numbers. Yes, waivers are sometimes granted, but that is really only a small fraction of the total. I don't think there is much more the NCAA can do without unjustly infringing on the right of the student athletes to choose their athletic and academic path.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
WBIR.com wrote:Tennessee became aware of the basketball violation when its compliance office was told Bonds was released of his National Letter of Intent, but not granted permission to contact the player.

After calling the player twice on the phone, the Tennessee coaches ceased all communication with Bonds once they were informed they didn't have permission to contact him.

As a result, the basketball staff underwent rules education regarding the differences between a National Letter of Intent release and permission to contact.
Click Here for Full Story
By R i
Registration Days Posts
1) Layer was fired for not winning ( our main deficiency this season was turning the ball over, and no one to run the point)

2) Tyndall was fired for NCCAA Violations in which Braxton was a part of.

And Braxton gets to sit out a year with a free year of school ? The system is broke. Braxton's decision to Commit to LU come here for a few days, and start looking elsewhere, his lack of being able to follow through on his commitment, hurt lots of people.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:1) Layer was fired for not winning ( our main deficiency this season was turning the ball over, and no one to run the point)

2) Tyndall was fired for NCCAA Violations in which Braxton was a part of.

And Braxton gets to sit out a year with a free year of school ? The system is broke. Braxton's decision to Commit to LU come here for a few days, and start looking elsewhere, his lack of being able to follow through on his commitment, hurt lots of people.
First of all, Braxton paid his own way at UTK last year, and as far as I know if he is still on the team he will be a walkon next year as well. Tyndall was fired when Tennessee became fully aware of much more serious violations at his previous 2 stops. The 2 phone calls to Bonds just recently came to light and had nothing to do with his termination.

I do believe we would have been a better team with Bonds last year. Whether it would have made enough difference to save Layer´s job is highly questionable to say the least.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The whole situation was dirty from the get go. There may not have been proof but you knew UT contacted and now there making their confession once theyve fired the coach. Layer being fired could be hitched to many different avenues. Bonds was but a small piece of that. Id lay more on gielo and moller and his euro failed recruiting than bonds.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]