If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:I saw several descriptions on Twitter listing him as long and bouncy/extremely athletic. Which is code for can't shoot.
No moreso than saying a kid is a deadly shooter is code for ¨can´t jump over a telephone book¨ I also read that he shoots well off the bounce, and on his mixtape there are a few jumpers interspersed with the dunks. There are some things you can teach and some that are God given. Looks like he has some of the God given stuff. If he´s lacking in the teachable área, that´s what we have coaches for. Well, that and to recruit kids with the things they can´t teach.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:He looks like he could be a lot of fun on the fast break...my question is who is gonna be tossing the ball to him for those Vines-shaking dunks?
Joe Retic is arriving from JUCO with 3 years of eligibility. He will probably be running the point Stavian´s first 2 years. We do need to sign at least 2 more guards though.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I met Stavian and his mom this weekend. Seems like a great kid. He is excited about playing for Liberty. He is already knowledgable about the current team and their abilities. He is pretty long too for a Big South small forward.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:At a glance, he appears to me the most athletic player we have gotten since Gabe Martin.
I agree he does look athletic. I would say that Brolin Floyd and Anthony Smith were better athletes than Martin though. Gabe was a special dunker but was not as agile as the other 2. Smitty was just as good as a game dunker and did it more frequently. I get what you are saying though Duke. I think Stavian will be playing on the rim. Something we haven't seen consistently in the program lately.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Anthony. Smith. Perhaps our most athletic player ever.
The more I look back at his time here the more I tend to agree. He really might even make a run at most talented/GOAT. He was special for sure. He played 2 years with Blair and one with Curry so he played 3 seasons with HIGH VOLUME shooters and still put up decent numbers. I know how hard that is to do from experience :D
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Wondering about the quality of competition he has played against. He looks real good on the tape, but the other players don't look like much. I hope it is because he is that good.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
I guarantee you hes not playing against significant talent..I am glad we finally have an athlete but he is going to need a lot of work on his fundamentals. The real question mark is does he understand the game. If he does the skys the limit.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Good to have him signed...when was the last guy we had that played this much above the rim at his height?
As a 6'8" wing player you'd BETTER play above the rim
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
jcmanson wrote:Allen goes up against top 10 prospect & UK signee Karl Towns tonight.
Sucks to be Allen tonight then.
That's ridiculus, even for you. Noone is suggesting Allen is a top 10 recruit like Towns, but regardless of the outcome, this is a great opportunity for him to test himself against one of the best HS players in the country.

Any word on how it went Manson?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:Towns had 21 and 17 while getting the win by about 20. Allen had 17 and 7.
Losing by 20 stinks, but as far as the individual matchup goes, that is actually quite encouraging when you consider that we are talking about a 7 foot 245 beast who will likely be in the NBA less than 2 years from now.

Just discovered that in 2012 Towns played for the Dominican National team as a 16 year old under Caliperi. Wouldn't be surprised if he took the gig just to recruit this kid. He qualified for the team because his mom is a Dominican citizen. Good chance he had never been here before he joined the team.
Last edited by olldflame on February 9th, 2014, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]