If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
I have a question, would LU rather have Seth Curry

A: Seth score alot of points and Duke lose the game

or

B: Hold Seth Curry in check and Duke wins the game

does his #dontbiteoffmorethanucanchew hold any merit. Looks like he wins both ways, he lights us up and its personal that he scored alot or we hold him in check and they still win. My personal feeling is they are supposed to win anyway, so what do u do?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I would want LU to win regardless of how many Curry scored. If we played Duke, key would be not to give Duke open looks from behind 3 point line. Duke basically lives and dies with the 3 pointer.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The only reason I would want to play Duke is because it just shows we got there without Seth. He did exactly what he needed to do for his career and he would never be the player he is today without transferring. I have absolutely no ill will towards him. I just think playing Duke, playing Curry, cements the fact that we got there without him and we've rebounded from how far back he set our program.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Had he not left, McKay wouldn't have left. A core of Seth and Jesse for three more years under McKay's system would've been a huge thing to recruit to. Our entire roster was made up of role players to compliment Seth. Once he left, we had a team full of role players with no star to lead the team. We had to start almost from scratch.
By MCJohansen
Registration Days Posts
Seth was never planning on staying at Liberty, and coach McKay knew that. Seth came to Liberty so he could start and stand out to a big program like Duke. Can you blame him? He is on national television every week.
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
oh ok gotcha, but to me should'nt the coach have done a better job of assembling the team, god forbid if at that time SC could have been injured, and to only have a team full of role players is def not the way to have gone.
By Blessed1
Registration Days Posts
Seth leaving also created a situation with our schedule too. We basically upgraded our schedule to "accommodate" a player of his caliber. I think we scheduled Texas A&M and Notre Dame for his soon-to-be sophomore year.
By Bigsouthking
Registration Days Posts
Seth twitter comments trying to show up LU are distasteful and reason he's a spoiled baby -- also he didnt make First Team All ACC... :lol: no respect for that kid... he should be like - happy for LU, etc. instead he says enjoy Dayton... classless.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
This board is crazy with people just saying made up stuff as if they were a fly on the wall the whole time.
By libertyfan4life
Registration Days Posts
I don't much care for the twitter comments of an [unnamed individual] who plays for Duke. But, am I surprised? No.

My only sentiment on the matter is that, IF we end up actually playing Duke - that we (Liberty) come out swinging in this game because our players are prepared, concentrated, play their game, and play in a way where everything is left on the court.

Duke will be highly favored to win.

But it will be a great opportunity for us.

This is very personal for me, but I personally heard of Liberty for the first time in 1994 NCAA Tournament appearance while watching the game on national TV against North Carolina in the First Round that year. It peaked my interest. Maybe others will come to attend Liberty someday too as a result. Maybe not. Who knows?
By Blessed1
Registration Days Posts
I think I remember Dell Curry saying he wanted Seth to play a higher level of competition because of what Stephen went through at Davidson. Basically if Stephen did not light the rims on fire in the NCAA tourney, he and Davidson would not have had the exposure needed to display his skills.

I just felt that had Seth stayed, along with Coach McKay and the "Magnificent 7" / "Super 7" recruiting class we had his freshman year, Liberty would have won at least 2-3 Big South Championships under the Seth era. I know nothing is guaranteed, but if he had stayed, we would have brought in more talent to ease the burden of teams doubling and tripling him. Also, we would have naturally upgraded of schedule in order for him and Liberty to gain more exposure.

I do not have a problem with Curry's decision. It was just how he left. It was sort of like the Browns leaving Cleveland or the Colts leaving Baltimore. He left like he had knocked-up 3 women and they were looking for child support. :lol:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The day that the rumor of Seth leaving started to spread, I knocked on Danny Rocco's door to tell him. He always liked to know what all was going on around campus. He stopped for a second and in classic Danny Rocco form, shook his head and said, "He has to. He needs to redshirt. His body needs the extra year. There's no way he could redshirt here now. This is his only chance to do it."

He did what he had to do. End of story.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
McKay should have never left. He cut and run once Curry left. That made him look bad in my opinion. Going to UVA was even worse.
By libertyfan4life
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:McKay should have never left. He cut and run once Curry left. That made him look bad in my opinion. Going to UVA was even worse.

+1
You hit the nail on the head.

There is sometimes the story of how things truly happened, and then there is the inevitable perception of how things are sometimes perceived. From a perception standpoint, it looked tacky (for Liberty). From a professional opportunity standpoint, he probably did do only what he could do. But such can also be said of dead beat dads who leave their children behind for the grass that is greener, the next big thrill, or the always much better situation.

I'm not a fan of Mr. Ritchie McKay. IMHO he's a loser and a bum.
Last edited by libertyfan4life on March 11th, 2013, 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By kingaling42
Registration Days Posts
Bigsouthking wrote:Seth twitter comments trying to show up LU are distasteful and reason he's a spoiled baby -- also he didnt make First Team All ACC... :I chortle audibly.: no respect for that kid... he should be like - happy for LU, etc. instead he says enjoy Dayton... classless.
So LUFlames Nation goes to Seth's twitter page and says- we want you or Duke or however it was stated and you are displeased that the kid said be careful what you wish for?

That's like going into the ocean and being mad that a shark bites you.. kinda dumb if you ask me..

I know you guys have no love lost for him for the most part- but don't be surprised if he says something back when you go at him first.. had perhaps you waited for him to say something nice instead of challenging him then you might have better ground to talk about class.. Maybe the classiest thing to do was to not poke the sleeping bear Flames Nation.. perhaps 'showing class' comes with the grace of winning.. Not going back to someone you harbor ill-feeling with and gloating about your accomplishments..

Liberty winning these 4 tourney games had NOTHING to do with Seth Curry.. Losing games this year had NOTHING to do with Seth Curry.. some of you guys are really pathetic- Seth has pretty much moved on and so have all the other coaches that no longer coach Liberty- deal with it already! By the reaction that many have had on here over the last few years, I cannot blame him one little bit.. you guys aren't his friends- most of you probably never even met the guy.. he made the right choice.. period.

Besides shouldn't you guys focus on what is important now and going forward.. like your next game and enjoying the rest of the ride this year?
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
He has pretty much moved on? Oh gee, must have been really difficult. Glad he made it through the dark times. Maybe he got some advice from Lance Armstrong on how he got over his first wife after leaving her for Cheryl Crow.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:He has pretty much moved on? Oh gee, must have been really difficult. Glad he made it through the dark times. Maybe he got some advice from Lance Armstrong on how he got over his first wife after leaving her for Cheryl Crow.
Cheryl Crow left him too.....
By Blessed1
Registration Days Posts
@kingaling42

I can't speak for everyone here, but I've moved on. When his name is brought up here, I share my personal opinion and leave it at that.

If anything, that fact that he went to Duke, makes him more like an enemy. I hate Duke. That's why I loved when my Hurricanes stomped them down at the BUC. If Liberty never plays Duke, I always have the images of him missing most of his shots and Duke getting stormed on by Miami.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
kingaling42 wrote:
Bigsouthking wrote:Seth twitter comments trying to show up LU are distasteful and reason he's a spoiled baby -- also he didnt make First Team All ACC... :I chortle audibly.: no respect for that kid... he should be like - happy for LU, etc. instead he says enjoy Dayton... classless.
So LUFlames Nation goes to Seth's twitter page and says- we want you or Duke or however it was stated and you are displeased that the kid said be careful what you wish for?

That's like going into the ocean and being mad that a shark bites you.. kinda dumb if you ask me..
I agree. If anything was low-class, it was the initial tweet from our side.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Was the initial tweet really from "our side". I thought the tweet was from Flames Nation. An unofficial "news" site. It seems to me Flames Nation sometimes just wants to make a story out of nothing to promote themselves...it's like saying..."Flamesnation...First we broke the big Tebow convo news and now look, Seth Curry has responded to 'our' tweet."

Flamesnation poked the bear for their own "ratings" for their site...it wasn't an individual LU fan that tweeted Seth. I mean really, Flamesnation wrote an article about their own tweet. Isn't that a little narcisic. (sp)
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]