If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Based on a mention by my friend Jim Hicks of RCS Sports we can add another name to our watch list after he visited this past weekend:

Shannon Shorter
6' 4" 195 lb Shooting Guard
Houston (TX) Westside HS
AAU: Houston Hoopstars

Rivals Profile

AAU Profile

College Choices (as of 9/19):

Tulane
Arkansas-Little Rock
Wichita State
Liberty
Iowa State
American
SE Louisiana
Cornell
Dartmouth
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Texas Southern

From the Cornell board a couple of weeks ago:
Shannon Shorter, a 6-4 195 lb. guard from Houston TX Westside HS (AAU: Houston Hoopstars) now has at least 8 confirmed D-I scholarship offers, namely from Tulane, Arkansas-Little Rock, Wichita State, Liberty, American, SE Louisiana, Texas Southern and Texas A&M Corpus Christie. In an interview with TexasHoops.com, he said, "My favorites are probably Wichita State, Arkansas-Little Rock, Tulane, and Liberty." Shorter previously referenced Cornell as a school recruiting him. He will begin taking official visits this September.
Last edited by Sly Fox on September 21st, 2006, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Wow Sly, either that is the wrong picture or he has picked up some muscle. 6-4 195 usually looks long and lanky. He looks big and strong like a football player. I know it is only a head shot though so it is tough to judge.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is definitely his picture from several sources. My guess is he's lanky but the pic just doesn't show it.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
no he's not skinny at all. this kid has a great body
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
RCS Sports is reporting Shannon (just like Trumaine) may be waiting until spring signing period to see if he can raise his stock enough to have better options.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Well. If he ain't married with a couple of kids, we ain't interested! :P
By WWJFD
Registration Days Posts
That's actually pretty funny. What is up with college kids getting married and all that?
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
WWJFD wrote:That's actually pretty funny. What is up with college kids getting married and all that?
My theory, at least for the Liberty kids, is that marrying allows them to get in touch with their carnal desires while still maintaining their morals. My interest is seeing the long-term effects of these early marriages, say 5-10 years down the road.
By SeoulFlame
Registration Days Posts
I got married my Junior year at LU (I was 20 and my wife was 19). Seven years and two kids later we are doing great. I know this doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me. :lol: BTW- My dad told us to get married or break up mostly because of those carnal desires.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
My wife and I went to LU got married during school and 32 years later doing well. As far as carnal desires, I can't remember that far back, what are they? We still have our first bed in the guest room and have named it "Precious Memories", our current Sleep Number edition is called,"Mission Impossible."
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
:lol:

Now that's funny!
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
very nice flameshaw! that made the morning. :D
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:My wife and I went to LU got married during school and 32 years later doing well. As far as carnal desires, I can't remember that far back, what are they? We still have our first bed in the guest room and have named it "Precious Memories", our current Sleep Number edition is called,"Mission Impossible."
might as well rename our room "Daddy Daycare" as I wake up every morning surrounded by kids and dogs :x
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
No kids, no dogs for us. I will just leave it at that. :oops:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I've got two big dogs and it seems like a new baby everytime I turn around. :D

So suffice it to say this is one of the few times when PAmedic and I are kindred spirits.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Back to the subject of the thread ....
Posted on Wed, Oct. 18, 2006

Shorter disappointed -- Houston Westside guard Shannon Shorter visited Shocker Madness on Saturday, prepared to commit to Wichita State.

Instead, Turgeon told him the Shockers did not have a scholarship available. He asked Shorter to attend prep school next year, and then come to WSU.

Shorter (6-4, 195) is not interested.

"I'm not going to prep school," he said. "It was very disappointing. They knew about it; they just didn't want to say anything."

WSU has three scholarships available for next season, and has commitments from Maine Central Institute guard Evann Baker, Kempsville (Va.) High center Denzel Bowles and Graham Hatch, a guard from Mesa, Ariz. Hatch committed in 2005 and is on a two-year Mormon mission.

Shorter said Turgeon told him he needed to honor the commitment to Hatch. He said Turgeon explained that Bowles filled a need for a big man and Baker's commitment came as a surprise.

"He's a man of his word," Shorter said. "I respect that." Shorter is also considering Liberty and Stephen F. Austin. He said he would wait until the spring to sign and see if other schools become interested.

NCAA rules prohibit WSU coaches from commenting on recruits.
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports ... 785298.htm
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I really don't think he wants to come here but he may have no other choice. Sounds like exactly the kind of guy we want.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
yeah- I'm guessing his attitude won't help his stock any, though I guess its natural for a 17 or 18 yr old kid to experience that attitude after that type of disappointment .

and maybe no one cares about attitude issues like that- what do I know anymore? :D
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:I really don't think he wants to come here but he may have no other choice. Sounds like exactly the kind of guy we want.
Ohhhhhh Kay.

So, to carry things a step further, are we getting guys that no one else really wants (due to a variety of "issues"), then they get to LU and find that The Liberty Way doesn't mesh with their values (or lack of values) and *that* is why we have so much player turnover??? (Then, if a player does workout and play well, we get the reward on the risk-reward guy?)

Please tell me that I am reading LUconn wrong and that is NOT how the staff goes about recruiting?
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]