If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Eron is the truth. I've been a fan since 6th grade. I'm not kidding. I think Liberty has a chance if the profile of the school improves like we all think it will in the next 4 years. The facilities, TV package, Bigger conference and Eric Senior's relationship with the school make it a possibility.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The big difference between Eron and Evan (or Seth Curry for that matter) is that unless something changes in the next few years, he will be a blue chip prospect and have offers from a lot of basketball powerhouses. That makes it much less likely he would come to LU, but if he DID choose us over those options, you would have to believe that he had a strong committment to the school and would not be likely to transfer. Quite frankly, if he turns out to be as good as it looks like he will, he wouldn't be around more than a year or 2 anyway, but I for one could handle losing a Gordon to the NBA a lot easier than to Arizona State.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
We don't need the circus of another Gordon
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
Bigsouthking wrote:trust me -- your not getting another Gordon.
This kid will be a top 100 one and done player..no chance
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
you guys just eat this stuff up. I can feel your enthusiasm.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
bballfan84 wrote:
One and done? Dude is in 8th grade. No one has any legitimate way of knowing that...
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
bballfan84 wrote:
One and done? Dude is in 8th grade. No one has any legitimate way of knowing that...
I think you can get a good idea of whether a kid has potential to be a one and doner pretty early
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
bballfan84 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
bballfan84 wrote:This kid will be a top 100 one and done player..no chance
I think you can get a good idea of whether a kid has potential to be a one and doner pretty early
Not by 8th grade. Unless the kid has completed his growth spurt early, he still has a lot of growing to do. What if he doesn't grow much more? He's no longer a one-and-doner as a NBA small shooting guard. A lot of these HS phenoms get where they are because they complete their growth spurt early. THat's why you see these 6'7", 6'8", etc. middle schoolers dominating. THey aren't playing anyone close to their height and have likely already experienced their growth spurt - they aren't going to be growing much more. Once everyone catches up, so goes much of their domination.

It happens quite a bit. One notable case is when that drunk womanizer Billy Gillispie gave a scholarship offer to a 6'4" 8th grader named Michael Avery. By his senior year, he was a 6'5" shooting guard going to a mediocre D2 school. Kid didn't even get a scholarship offer, not even a partial D2 offer. At 8th grade you are still projecting how big the kid is going to get, as with every other projection, the projections don't always work out.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I agree that it's early, but I have to say that all of the interest in Eron to this point has VIRTUALLY NOTHING to do with his projected HEIGHT, and everything to do with his TALENT. Keep in mind, he has an older brother who was a similar phenom at this age. Eric topped out at 6'4", and guess what? He was one and done and a lottery pick. I don't think anyone is expecting Eron to be a 6'9" monster. It's his game that needs to grow if he is going to be an NBA player some day.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Wasn't UKs center like 6'5 about 2 years ago and is now 7'?
LeBron projected in 8th grade
Also a handful of others
Sebastian Telfair
Greg Odom
Kenny Anderson
Damon Bailey - who then threw up a turd. As coach Knight sais 'i've never had a player do less with more'
Kevin Garnett
Shawn Kemp
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Wasn't UKs center like 6'5 about 2 years ago and is now 7'?
LeBron projected in 8th grade
Also a handful of others
Sebastian Telfair
Greg Odom
Kenny Anderson
Damon Bailey - who then threw up a turd. As coach Knight sais 'i've never had a player do less with more'
Kevin Garnett
Shawn Kemp
Seriously, you use Damon Bailey as a guy to help justify your argument? Dude played 4 years in college.

You know who else was projected to be a one-and-doner or even straight to NBA even as late as senior year of high school? Below are a few I can remember just looking at recruiting rankings from Rivals
2003 Class - Shannon Brown (remember when he was the higher ranked PG than Chris Paul?), Charlie Villanueva, Mustafa Shakur
2004 Class - Rudy Gay, Jeremy Lamb, Joe Crawford, Randolph Morris, LaMarcus Aldridge, Darius Washington, Juan Palacios
2005 Class - Josh McRoberts, Julian Wright, Keith Brumbaugh, Brandon Rush
2006 Class - Chase Budinger, Lopez brothers, Darrell Arthur
2007 Class - Kyle Singler, DeAndre Jordan, Donte Greene, Jerryd Bayless, Patrick Patterson, Soloman Alabi
2008 Class - Demar Derozan, Scotty Hopson, Greg Monroe, Willie Warren (interestingly, he was 13 spots higher than teammate Blake Griffin)
2009 Class - Renardo Sidney, Jordan Hamilton, Avery Bradley
2010 Class - Won't include the guys who surely would have gone had the lockout not happened (Sullinger, Barnes, Knight); CJ Leslie, Doron Lamb, Josh Smith.
2011 Class - LeBryan Nash, Quincy Miller. Pretty mucha ll the projected one-and-dones went this year except two Baylor players. Interestingly, Baylor has had three should be one-and-doners grossly underperform the last two season.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Back when Damon was playing, nearly every player spent 4 seasons in college.

And that list is of players who were at the top of their class by the end of high school and not 8th grade.

Some of the 8th.grade sensations I remember covering were Derek Caracter & the supposed second coming of LeBron, OJ Mayo.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:the supposed second coming of LeBron, OJ Mayo.
Nice Huntington reference, Sly. :clapping Whatever happened to OJ? :dontgetit
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Memphis Grizzlies! Along with Jason Conlley and the 'Other' Gasul
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Back when Damon was playing, nearly every player spent 4 seasons in college.

And that list is of players who were at the top of their class by the end of high school and not 8th grade.

Some of the 8th.grade sensations I remember covering were Derek Caracter & the supposed second coming of LeBron, OJ Mayo.
Or at least 3. Plus, I stated he put up a turd for 4 years.
I also believe all the other 8 th graders mentioned played in the NBA. But that was back when SI put out their annual college hoops preview and featured the best player in each class from 12-8. Now you have people all over the internets saying every other kid in middle school is an NBA lock.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Back when Damon was playing, nearly every player spent 4 seasons in college.

YEs I know that's what the list was, but the point is, people can't even reliably predict high school seniors as one-and-doners, much less 8th graders.

And how did 8th grade sensation Derrick Caracter turn out? Louisville drop out turned UTEP player before being the 58th player drafted in 2010.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
The ones saying you don't want him would be the same ones doing cartwheels if we got him.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:The ones saying you don't want him would be the same ones doing cartwheels if we got him.
It'd be a huuuuuuuuge get. I'm simply burned by little brothers at this point. I don't trust them.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]