If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Can anyone explain how Layer has been using Gielo lately? He is starting the games, playing the first 5 minutes or so, and then hardly plays after that (averaging about 10 minutes a game). Is it related to his wrist injury? I know he doesn't play the greatest defense, but if that's the issue, I wouldn't think Layer would start him. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with his production on offense, as he scored 5 quick points on 2-2 from the floor last night and then sat.
Last edited by olldflame on February 8th, 2012, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
Yeah I'm not sure what the idea is there. I'm loving his naturely ability, although at times he does look like a freshman and just a little lost.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You don't always start your 5 best players. I have no insight into this particular instance but maybe he gives more quality 10 minutes at the beginning and someone else does better off the bench. This type of scenario reminds me of the Bad Boy Pistons. They would get the ball to James Edward 6 of the first 10 possessions of the game, then u wouldnt see much of him the rest of the game
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I'm starting to ask tons of questions about Layer's coaching philosophy myself. But I'm still giving him more time.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:I'm starting to ask tons of questions about Layer's coaching philosophy myself. But I'm still giving him more time.
Why? The job he has done with this team the last month has been wonderful. The job he did last year was wonderful. I'll give him a pass on the rest of this year because of injuries, etc.

He has a clean slate in my mind.
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
My bigger problem wasn't the start to this season but rather the end to the last one. I'm not saying he should be fired or anything like that (so relax BJ) but that was disappointing.

And I realize someone wasn't playing much of a team game at that point, but that still falls on the coach to a degree. Other than that I agree I've thought Layer does a nice job with what he has.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Oh don't get me wrong manson I'm not anywhere close to wanting to can him.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Frankly I think the only person on here who wants to see anyone canned is ToC
By truthorconsequences
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:
jbock13 wrote:I'm starting to ask tons of questions about Layer's coaching philosophy myself. But I'm still giving him more time.
Why? The job he has done with this team the last month has been wonderful. The job he did last year was wonderful. I'll give him a pass on the rest of this year because of injuries, etc.

Are you serious. We went like 4-20 in D1 games and it is wonderful. Now some of your comments make more sense. You drink koolaid.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
truthorconsequences wrote:
jcmanson wrote:

Are you serious. We went like 4-20 in D1 games and it is wonderful. Now some of your comments make more sense. You drink koolaid.
See what I mean...^^
By truthorconsequences
Registration Days Posts

He has a clean slate in my mind.[/quote]

Are you serious. We went like 4-20 in D1 games and it is wonderful. Now some of your comments make more sense. You drink koolaid.[/quote]

See what I mean...^^[/quote]

BJ....do you care about winning?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
truthorconsequences wrote:Why? The job he has done with this team the last month has been wonderful. The job he did last year was wonderful. I'll give him a pass on the rest of this year because of injuries, etc.

Are you serious. We went like 4-20 in D1 games and it is wonderful. Now some of your comments make more sense. You drink koolaid.[/quote]

See what I mean...^^[/quote]

BJ....do you care about winning?[/quote]

Absolutely I care about winning...but I also know that not everything comes up roses. We lost two important cogs in the team early on (and a freshman who was expected to contribute) and the team struggled without them. They are starting to take shape at the right time though and its shown in us winning 4 of our last 6. Would I have liked us to build on last year? Certainly, but things happen and we had to overcome quite a bit of adversity and it is paying dividends in this run to the end of the season. Now cant you just give congrats without adding some qualifier or taking a dig at JB just once (or sounding like it had to practically be drug out of you)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I care about winning.
I understand there is more to a season than Wins and Losses
I am happy with the job Layer has done this year.
How could I possibly be labeled a kool aid drinker :dontgetit
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Can anyone explain how Layer has been using Gielo lately? He is starting the games, playing the first 5 minutes or so, and then hardly plays after that (averaging about 10 minutes a game). Is it related to his wrist injury? I know he doesn't play the greatest defense, but if that's the issue, I wouldn't think Layer would start him. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with his production on offense, as he scored 5 quick points on 2-2 from the floor last night and then sat.
Why is Stephen Baird not playing at all???
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Probably still in Layer's doghouse or something
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
According to Lang, the problem with Baird is his defense................................or lack thereof. It didn't keep us from winning all 3 games he started though. Just sayin.
Last edited by olldflame on February 3rd, 2012, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Yeah I recall that as well but he was in the doghouse after the HPU game and Im guessing he hasnt done much in practice to warrant getting out
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
truthorconsequences wrote:Are you serious. We went like 4-20 in D1 games and it is wonderful. Now some of your comments make more sense. You drink koolaid.
I'm just going to throw this out there. I think the line of "drinking kool-aid" is extremely overdone on this board. The origins of drinking the kool-aid is from a cult that drank potassium cyanide to kill themselves and their kids, some voluntarily and some at gunpoint. Maybe we should reserve that term for people who are a little more off their rocker rather than throwing it around in every other post when anyone is slightly positive...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote:
truthorconsequences wrote:Are you serious. We went like 4-20 in D1 games and it is wonderful. Now some of your comments make more sense. You drink koolaid.
I'm just going to throw this out there. I think the line of "drinking kool-aid" is extremely overdone on this board. The origins of drinking the kool-aid is from a cult that drank potassium cyanide to kill themselves and their kids, some voluntarily and some at gunpoint. Maybe we should reserve that term for people who are a little more off their rocker rather than throwing it around in every other post when anyone is slightly positive...
It was actually Wylers and not Kool Aid
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:According to Lang, the problem with Baird is his defense................................or lack thereof. It didn't keep us from winning all 3 games he started though. Just sayin.
Exactly my thoughts as well.

Not to be rude, but I think everyone knows where the term "drinking the kool aid" came from. Quite honestly, if you're that stupid to run off with some guy to Guyana, then... well I better not go there :D
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:It was actually Wylers and not Kool Aid
Yes, and I'm not sure Kool Aid would agree with the phrase that "any pub is good pub" in this case.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:Not to be rude, but I think everyone knows where the term "drinking the kool aid" came from. Quite honestly, if you're that stupid to run off with some guy to Guyana, then... well I better not go there :D
but that's sort of my point. If we know the origins, the use of the term should reflect that knowledge. Just seems kind of flippant to me.

Perhaps it's just one of my pet peeves...

Anyway, about Thomaz Gielo, I'm surprised he doesn't get more minutes, because from the few games I have seen of him, his offensive skills are in short stretches impressive, predominantly his shooting range.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]