If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
Here's a wild idea that I think should take place...

I think that the NCAA should split Division I basketball into I and I-AA competition, like they do for football. No, I'm not advocating doing everything like football (a bowl system is ridiculous for football, and would be so for basketball). But hear me out...

Now, the reason I think it's a good idea is because I think there should be a difference between the way the NCAA approaches the Duke's of the world and the Liberty's. First reason: Someone transferring from Virginia wouldn't have to sit out a year by going to LU. Advantage: us.

We could still send all the conference champions from I and I-AA into March Madness, no problem. But if you have a I-AA playoff system, it gives us something realistic to fight for.

And then we can look forward to a lively discussion on this message board as we have people advocating a move up to I-A basketball, and such...
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
I don't think George Mason would necessarily agree.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Michael Bolton: That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom.
Samir: Yes, this is horrible, this idea.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
So you're saying that some schools would play in a playoff bracket and the NCAA tourney? If somebody got on a roll, they'd end up playing something like 45 games or so. I guess March Madness would then become April Agony. And what about the George Mason's and Davidson's and Winthrop's of the world? Are they I-A or I-AA?

I think Ed is just part of a vast conspiracy to hand Quinnipiac a slot at the Final Four. :wink:
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
This wouldn't work IMO because in a given year there are plenty of schools that don't have the big name that are better than the other "major" teams. Basketball is not like football. In basketball, anybody with a couple of decent players can beat anyone on a given night. In football a 1AA school had very little chance of ever beating a 1A team (even though we did it back in the day).
By pbow
Registration Days Posts
I'm not trying to be rude, but that's the worst idea i've ever heard.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I think they should keep things the way they are...except, allow the I-AA and I-AAA schools to have transfers from I-A schools without sitting out.

That would definately bridge the gap between the majors and mid-majors.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Jim, what is 1AAA? Secondly, you couldn't do it that way because there is no such distinctions in sports other than football and even they are getting rid of that terminology....Third, Some schools with Major basketball teams have 1-AA football teams (Georgetown, Villanova) and some have good football at and sub-par hoops (Central Florida comes to mind). This whole concept would need to be thought out in great detail to change things and quite frankly there is nothing about the NCAA hoops side that needs to be changed right now in terms of teams having a chance to play in the tournament.
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
Scar, Central Florida won either 20 or close to 20 games in Basketball last year in the C-USA...
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:Jim, what is 1AAA? Secondly, you couldn't do it that way because there is no such distinctions in sports other than football and even they are getting rid of that terminology....Third, Some schools with Major basketball teams have 1-AA football teams (Georgetown, Villanova) and some have good football at and sub-par hoops (Central Florida comes to mind). This whole concept would need to be thought out in great detail to change things and quite frankly there is nothing about the NCAA hoops side that needs to be changed right now in terms of teams having a chance to play in the tournament.
Division I-AAA is the designation given to schools that are Division I, but don't field a football team (ie. Winthrop). Not sure what those types of schools will be called under the new naming system.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Killn'emsoftly wrote:Scar, Central Florida won either 20 or close to 20 games in Basketball last year in the C-USA...
I understand that but I was just making a point and I didn't have the NCAA division 1 handbook in front of me killin em :wink: You get the idea though.
Family Travel Obsession

If you have a rental car in Paris this summer, bra[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now […]

5 plus 7 model

I wouldn't build this up and get your hopes up tha[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]