If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Andre Washington
6' 10" 200 lbs Center
Roanoke (VA) Catholic HS (Transfer from Franklin Co. HS)

Rivals Profile

Scout Profile

ballah09 wrote:found washington
[youtube]
[/youtube]

Holds Offers from (As of 2/11/11):
  • JMU
    Liberty
The Franklin News-Post wrote:Washington to transfer to Roanoke Catholic

Andre Washington tries to block a shot by a Martinsville player during last years contest against the Bulldogs. (Staff Photo by Steven Marsh)

Friday, July 2, 2010
By STEVEN MARSH - Sports Editor

Andre Washington, a promising, 6-foot, 10 1/2-inch center who earned honorable mention All-Western Valley District laurels at Franklin County this past season, is transferring to Roanoke Catholic where he will be able to extend his high-school career by one year.

Washington, his father, George Washington, a former assistant boys' basketball coach at Tunstall and Martinsville high schools, and FCHS head coach Doug Conklin all confirmed Washington's transfer this week.
In his lone varsity season at FCHS, Washington averaged 8.6 points and 7.6 rebounds. He blocked a team-best 74 shots, an average of 3.5 per game.
Click Here for Full Story
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:http://www.roanoke.com/sports/highschool/wb/281263
"I just based it on what I have right there, right now. Wake Forest was just the best overall decision for me academically and athletically."
First time I've seen an athlete choose another school over us and mention academics.
The kid from Houston who went to LIU did. He went there for their pharmacy program.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I hate to be "that guy" but I would take any references to academics with a grain of salt from a kid who just re-classified to a private.

Congrats to Andre for scoring an offer & commitment to the ACC.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Wake Forest is awful and I wouldn't expect them to jump out of the celler any time soon. Can't fault the kid though - if you get the opportunity to play in a power conference, go for it.
By jenkins
Registration Days Posts
dont want this kid...he went to my old high school....SOFT...let me say it louder SOFTER...wait...SOFTEST.

Academics has nothing to do with it, it's the fact that it's the only ACC or for that matter non mid-major offer that he would have sniffed so he had to cash in on it. His offensive game is absolutely terrible.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I said it when we talked about him earlier...he settles too much for jump shots. Not everyone can be Dirk Nowitzki and be able to shoot jump shots at a high volume...at 6'10" you need to have the size and ability to work down low. If you cant do that you are not going to do well no matter where you go. Wake saw that he has some height and offered him and he jumped at it because he knew that schools that actually see his lack of low post skills arent going to tae a chance at him because they dont want to have to teach him a drop step or an up and under or other low post techniques
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote: at 6'10" you need to have the size and ability to work down low. If you cant do that you are not going to do well no matter where you go.
Sadly, I don't think Carter ever figured that out. :?
By jenkins
Registration Days Posts
it was 100% def. his only Major offer, i assure you of that. Major being power conference schools, i may not have inside sources on liberty stuff but this is assure you of in this instance. In fact some of the offers listed on the rivals or yahoo page weren't even accurate either, some were indications of interest. He may be OK down the road but he would be a big time project.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Bump.

After prepping at Hargrave, Andre has spent the last 3 years gathering splinters at Wake. He actually asked his coach to redshirt him as a Senior in hopes of making more of an impact in 17. He got shot down and is planning to graduate and transfer. He is now 7'. 230. Wouldn't be much help on offense, but would probably be a better rim protector than anyone we have now.
By PAFlame
I don't understand these dudes/ladies who realize they aren't anywhere qualified to start at the Division I level, let alone ride the bench and still clamor to try and get their 5th, 6th, or 7th (!!!) year of trying to play college basketball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
PAFlame wrote:I don't understand these dudes/ladies who realize they aren't anywhere qualified to start at the Division I level, let alone ride the bench and still clamor to try and get their 5th, 6th, or 7th (!!!) year of trying to play college basketball.
So, are you saying they should quit? Every athlete has 5 years to play 4. In this case he simply wasn't good enough to play at the ACC level, and will probably end up at a mid/low major program in hopes of playing more in his last season of eligibility. Not sure he would be a fit at LU or if he would help us, but Anthony Fields also started out at Wake and didn't put up big numbers there or at Bradley, but made a hice contribution to this years team.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]