If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Anybody old enough to remember the A's pitcher who wore his first name on the back of his jersey so the umps wouldn't think his manager was yelling at them instead of his Cy Young award pitcher?
:oldhag
Would that be Vida Blue?
Definite Quiz Bowl potential. :clapping

But I have to ask one more to confirm your brilliance: who was the last AL switch hitter to win the MVP?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
flamehunter wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Anybody old enough to remember the A's pitcher who wore his first name on the back of his jersey so the umps wouldn't think his manager was yelling at them instead of his Cy Young award pitcher?
:oldhag
Would that be Vida Blue?
Definite Quiz Bowl potential. :clapping

But I have to ask one more to confirm your brilliance: who was the last AL switch hitter to win the MVP?
Vida was a 'switch hitter'
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Very interesting. Don't sign me up, I had to look it up. :oops: (Edit: The switch hitter question - I knew your original one straight off.) I will not answer to see if someone else knows it.

Haize beat me to it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Vida Blue was the correct answer for both questions: looks like I now have TWO possible recruits! :wink:
(wondering if Purple googled his answer, too...)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Vida Blue was the correct answer for both questions: looks like I now have TWO possible recruits! :wink:
(wondering if Purple googled his answer, too...)
Ha. I AM Google! And no I did not!
By Flamesfan4ever
Registration Days Posts
From what I've heard....Carl Hess may be the GOAT at dropping "f" bombs.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I dont think we ever had a Carl Hess at Liberty...
By Flamesfan4ever
Registration Days Posts
Excuse me : "K" arl Hess = "f" bomber
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Flamesfan4ever wrote:From what I've heard....Carl Hess may be the GOAT at dropping "f" bombs.
He may be that lol
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I dont think we ever had a Carl Hess at Liberty...
Sure we did -- he played for Randy Dutton ;-)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
phoenix wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:I dont think we ever had a Carl Hess at Liberty...
Sure we did -- he played for Randy Dutton ;-)
Nicely done!
By Flamesfan4ever
Registration Days Posts
Nicely Done ? I reference the fact that Karl Hess may be the GOAT at dropping "f" bombs ....and you grant "nicely done" to the fact that I mis-spelled Karl with a "C".

Man you need to get your priorities straight !!!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
and Randy Dutton (who I guess is was the half-brother of actor Charles F. Dutton)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Flamesfan4ever wrote:Nicely Done ? I reference the fact that Karl Hess may be the GOAT at dropping "f" bombs ....and you grant "nicely done" to the fact that I mis-spelled Karl with a "C".

Man you need to get your priorities straight !!!
This goes to show your narcissism and paranoia. That post had to do with parlaying another thread into this discussion at an opportune time. I just wish I had thought of it.
By Flamesfan4ever
Registration Days Posts
Why do I feel like EVERYONE ALWAYS thinks I'm PARANOID?
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Flamesfan4ever wrote:Why do I feel like EVERYONE ALWAYS thinks I'm PARANOID?
cap locks have anything to do with it?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:
Flamesfan4ever wrote:Why do I feel like EVERYONE ALWAYS thinks I'm PARANOID?
cap locks have anything to do with it?
QFT
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I love these discussions based on both stats and personal opinion, but any list with Bailey ranked 4th is suspect in my mildly humble opinion. Yes, we only had him for three seasons but those three years nearly eclipse the numbers of Blair & Hess in four. He was part of the transition to DI and anyone who has followed the program long enough to see him play will always start with him #1 overall.

I also don't see the big disparity between between Juice & Aluma. I get the first to the Dance and the larger body of work but the margins between them are minute. LJ should absolutely be Top Ten ... he certainly glossed himself as GOAT on here once upon a time. Jesse should be higher up the list as well.

Here's my crack at the list:

• 1. Bailey Alston
    2. Larry Blair
    3. Karl Hess
    4. Jesse Sanders
    5. Anthony Smith
    6. Peter Aluma
    7. Juice Nwosu
    8. Larry Jackson
    9. Ed Vickers
    10. Eric Gordon Sr.

Other names not listed originally to throw out there for honorable mention would be Mark Chafin and Chris Caldwell. Frankly I gave strong consideration for Chafin (4th All-Time Leading Scorer with 17.5 Career Average) in Top Ten. But I remember Gordon wowing me on my campus visit back int he Early '80s.

I also think it would be fun to create a Top 10 Texans list:

• 1. Jesse Sanders
    2. Anthony Smith
    3. Juice Nwosu (Texan since graduation)
    4. Larry Jackson
    5. Chris Caldwell
    6. John Caleb Sanders
    7. Ryan Kemrite
    8. Nathan Day
    9. Marcus White
    10. Rell Porter

Honorable Mention: Gabe Caldwell, Nic Wright, Rob Attaway, Phil Ward, Harry Williams and Rev. Evan Risher
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote:I will always consider Larry Blair the goat. But I am super biased.

He was always so fun to watch.
I was never a fan. I can't take away from his ability, but I didn't like how he played. That's also influenced by seeing him around school too. I fully admit I'm not objective.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I always like him and always had positive interactions with him. Also being here watching that team win the conference championship my freshmen year will always be a highlight.

I am super biased and completely realize that.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Seen them all play. In my opinion, Aluma was unquestionably the best. Unfortunately, he never really reached his full potential and it can be argued that he actually played worse every year. He was one of the first BIG basketball talents at LU and the coaches didn't really push him. It was almost like they were afraid to get after him, or were in awe of his talent. They never really rode his butt like the rest of the players. He was a favorite of the fans, most of the teachers, etc. His personality got him by on a lot of things that wouldn't work for most people. He took advantage of that and was never fully challenged.
In spite of all that, he was a great talent. Juice was good, but he did not have the instincts that Peter had. Peter was easily the best shot blocker I have ever seen in the BSC. He also had better offensive skills than Juice.

All IMVVVHO.
Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]