If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Flames begin a 3-game road trip Wednesday night at UNC-Asheville. We head to the mountains on a 5-game losing skid.

UNCA Official Site

The Bulldogs enter the contest 2-4 in the Big South. But they're coming into the matchup with the Flames off of a 83-65 thumping of VMI in Asheville.

#3 Omar Collington
6' 1" Senior Guard
Averaging 11.7 Pts on the Season But 17.2 in 6 Big South Games

#21 Chad Mohn
6' 8" Senior Forward
Averaging 8.6 Pts & 6.9 Rebs

#22 Oliver Holmes
6' 6" Senior Wing
Averaging 7.1 Pts, 4.9 Rebs and 4 Assists

#42 Joseph Barber
6' 9" Senior Center
Averaging 13.3 Pts & 5.9 Rebs
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
This could be the battle for the 8-seed.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Chad Mohn hasn't played since injuring his ankle against CSU over a week ago...not sure if he is healthy enough to play.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm sure that would help explain Collington's sudden surge in scoring production. Thanks for the heads up, WEF.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I'm sure that would help explain Collington's sudden surge in scoring production. Thanks for the heads up, WEF.
Collington has played well the last few weeks, even before Mohn got hurt...the player that has really stepped up in Mohn's absence is freshman Michael Ellis, who played very well (earning Freshman of the Week honors) in his first two starts this past week...
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
We will be lucky to even be in the tournament this year.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
We still have a long way to go. I believe we will make the tournament. Keep your heads up!
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote:We will be lucky to even be in the tournament this year.
exagerate much? We're not the only pathetic team in the conference.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Lots of road games this year.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
thesportscritic wrote:We will be lucky to even be in the tournament this year.
exagerate much? We're not the only pathetic team in the conference.
Ho ho Ho so you say. :roll:
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I don't understand why you're so down on this team. It's obviously a down year but it's not like we're the worst team in the conference. You weren't around for the Mel Hankinson era, were you? Then you'd know what it's like to watch a bad team with little hope to COMPETE in any game, let alone win one. Everybody has rebuilding years. This happens to be ours. And the team, as it is, could beat any other team in the conference. As much as you'd like it to be, this is NOT women's bball where you can go undefeated every year. There is parity (I hate to use the term as it's become pretty cliche), and we only had 1 significant contributer come back this year. I may be labled as the team's apologist or some jazz like that, but I think you can stand to cut the team some slack.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I'm not too sure that this year's team is any better than what Hankinson had back then.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Luconn for the record I was being sarcastic but it is hard at times to pick up on sarcasm.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:I don't understand why you're so down on this team. It's obviously a down year but it's not like we're the worst team in the conference. You weren't around for the Mel Hankinson era, were you? Then you'd know what it's like to watch a bad team with little hope to COMPETE in any game, let alone win one. Everybody has rebuilding years. This happens to be ours. And the team, as it is, could beat any other team in the conference. As much as you'd like it to be, this is NOT women's bball where you can go undefeated every year. There is parity (I hate to use the term as it's become pretty cliche), and we only had 1 significant contributer come back this year. I may be labled as the team's apologist or some jazz like that, but I think you can stand to cut the team some slack.

And I was around for the Hankinson for the record and this team is bringing back bad memories from that era. Those hankinson teams were just plain pathetic. And I didn't bring up women's basketball by the way, you did.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
this is a bad team. not enough offense. if anyone steps up, then we will obviously be better. this team is not as bad as those hankinson teams, but the bottom line is until we get more scoring production, it will be a very long year. period.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I preface this by saying that I know really know nothing about coaching college basketball. But I think if the junior college center transfer is eligible to play this semester, let him play.

I know that you lose half of a year of eligibility...but I think that we definately are in danger of finishing in the bottom of the conference. If you use the center now, and can get a couple of wins, and somehow finish 4th or 5th...that still helps in terms of the next year recruiting.

I think it would be a lot easier to sell to a recruit the idea that we've finished 2nd, 1st, 2nd, and 5th in the conference (and that b/c were rebuilding), than to say we finihsed 2nd,1st,2nd, and 8th...they they'll think "Why", then they'll hear about the people transferring out, etc.

I think a decent finish is more important than saving eligibility at this point...just my opinion...any thoughts.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Jim, if I am not mistaken Alex McLean can not play until next fall. However even if he could that would really be doing the kid a dis-service in my opinion by playing him with 14 or 15 games left. This team is not that far off. Every time you step on the court the game is different. Each night this team has a fair chance to win the rest of it's games. I am not saying they will but if you look at the performances, our defense is still really good, the effort is strong and 3 or 4 other players have shown themselves to be pretty good on offense at times. Unfortunately it has not been at the same time. Also Russell seems to play well in smaller spurts rather than 10-15 minutes at a time. He can still help this team. People think things just happen over night. Quite frankly I can remember Aluma's freshman year when people thought he was horrible and he ended up getting MVP of the Big South Tournament as a freshman. He went on a tear and shot about 85% over 3 games and had the game saving blocked shot in the semi finals vs Towson. Bottom line, if this team gets hot in late Feb, early March, we will all be happy. Remember a 7 seed went to the Tournament finals last season. Chuck South won it all in 97 as well as a 4th seed. Liberty was a 4 in 94. Keep the faith. They are working to get better.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Finishing at the bottom of the conf. isnt the worse thing that could ever happen to us during the year we are rebuilding, and even if Alex could play he couldnt make us jump from bottom to top, I dont see him as being that big of a difference maker (he'll be great, just not a super star, I hope I'm wrong) now if we had Alex, Blair & Dewight....that's a different story, I've been watching him ball in the Multi and this dudes the truth
By nickrichard
Registration Days Posts
Continuining on in similar style...UCNA 39 - 16 at the half.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Rebuilding or not. Young, or not. This is embarrassing--and I was one of the coach's biggest supporters during the pre-conference schedule. Finishing near the bottom can happen, but finishing AT the bottom and not even making the Big South tournament is abyssmal.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
AG
I totally agree. If we are not the worst team in the conference who is? This is bad.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I know Blair hates losing but I'm sure he has to be enjoying all the shots.

We're now down 61-48 with six minutes to go.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i still support coach D, but again this is a bad showing. we are just not a good offensive team.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
66-52 with 3:29 to go
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
As bad as we played in the first half, there's still time to make run in this one. But we need to do it now.

Tomorrow's game is winner take all.

Prayers please

Best of luck to you! Life gonna change 👍🏼

NCAA Realignment Megathread

The push for a G5 playoff may be bigger th[…]

2024 Season Thread

I wish. DBU is a bit of a haul even from my locati[…]