If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
This may force a lot of you guys to register with facebook I hope. I push facebook like Sly pushes this site :lol: As I said before Liberty is keeping track of alumni through facebook so you guys especially the old guys need to apply for a Liberty email address and register. It is easy and very useful for keeping up with folks. Anyway, I took a photo of "the dunk" poster I have. Not a great pic but you can get the idea. Also pictures of my wreck, TRBC, and much much more are on there. Even a couple of the new Camry and Stately Scarborough Manor.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
SCAR....the clemson game and the chat with lefty driesell....the board would appreciate it. who cares if is is self-promotion!
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
I ought to check out your crib sometimes SCAR.!!!!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
See Smoothie you get to hear these stories from me but I will tell it to the group. Baldspot was telling Smoothie about a great move I did at Clemson that got their crowd to cheer for me. I had to go to the tape (thanks for twisting my arm :lol: ) to look at it but I do remember it. I got a rebound of Elden Campbell (formerly of the Lakers, Pistons etc) and his 6-11 counterpart Dale Davis(formerly of the Pacers, Pistons etc) and took it coast to coast. Had to shake 2 guards at mid court and split them because they thought they could strip me. But again, I had other plans. I had one man to beat and I faked a pass to Derrick D-Train Williams and the guy totally bought it. Then I layed it up and the crowd cheered very loudly. I stopped the tape right before the ball hit the rim so I am not sure if it went in or not :wink: Then a few plays later I went baseline for a dunk with my left hand. I was up there but then the place goes totally dark. 2 sets of hairy arm pits are all I saw. Again the future pros Davis and Campbell were there to block the shot so I had to hang and scoop and glide to the other side of the basket and lay it in over my head. Again, the Clemson crowd went nuts. So exhilerating. That shot did go in btw. Not uh, sure about the first one. Lastly I had a breakaway dunk at the end of that game (it was over by then as we were down by 20) but there was not enough time to get all the way to the rim so I took off earlier than I had ever done before. I got to the rim but I missed the dunk and fell flat on my back as the horn sounded. Their crowd came out from under the basket (they had rowdies under both baskets that stood on a platform) to help me up. Those guys were brutal but they were cool with us at the end of the game. Taking the ball out under the goal, they would litterally be touching you on the back of the head and yelling in your ear. Clemson that game before ours had just knocked off #1 UNC. Very good team for sure. Side note. Clemson was not the best team I ever faced. That title belongs to Division II Virginia Union. They had 3 NBA players (AJ English, Tony Dallas and Terry Davis) and 3 other guys that I thought were as good or better than AJ including Vincent Price from EC Glass. He is the one that dunked on me then transferred in to Liberty the next season. Never played for us though. He was a 6-7 Bailey Alston!
By Guest
Please educate me on "facebook"
By grm
Registration Days Posts
That was me on the "guest" post
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
The other story Smoothie wanted me to share was short. We played JMU and we walked out of the building with Lefty Driesel and Chucky (Charles Driesel II). It was mostly coaches and myself and I heard Lefty tell coach Meyer that he would take our backcourt over any he had seen. He said Alston was special and Scarborough was right behind him. That made my day for sure. Lefty may be the biggest coach (physically) I have ever seen. Wow was he an imposing figure.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:The other story Smoothie wanted me to share was short. We played JMU and we walked out of the building with Lefty Driesel and Chucky (Charles Driesel II). It was mostly coaches and myself and I heard Lefty tell coach Meyer that he would take our backcourt over any he had seen. He said Alston was special and Scarborough was right behind him. That made my day for sure. Lefty may be the biggest coach (physically) I have ever seen. Wow was he an imposing figure.
Lefty is a big dude, but I remeber seeing Majerus in his Ball State Days. A MOUNTAIN of a man. More of a wobbly one, but still big non the less. Plus, how bout the almost upset that year over UNLV!!! Paris McCurdy and Chandler Thompson were SUTDS
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Tony Dunkin from Coastal. He was the only player in college history to be a 4 time MVP of a conference and perhaps was the best player to ever play in the Big South. Coastal used to be really good back then. They got caught cheating big time eventually but this was before all that. You know how there is always a team that certian people just kill? Especially in baseball I think that happens. Well Coastal was that team for me. I always played well against them either down there or in Liberty Gym. After we lost to them on a controversial bucket 2 seconds after the buzzer, Dunkin came to our locker to speak to me. He asked me where I was going after this. I replied, I may hit the Rainbow club (just kidding). I said, I don't know, why you wanna hang out? He said no, I mean where are you playing after college because I want to play on your team. Of course you never forget conversations like that. Back to the controversial ending. The game was tied with 3 seconds left and we had an inbounds from mid court. The play was designed to go to BA but of course if he was covered, get the ball to your PG which happened to be me. I set a screen for BA and both my man and his follow him. I am wide open standing in front of D-Train but he ignored me. He threw it to Bailey anyway and it got intercepted. CCU calls time. They get to inbound under their own offensive goal but there is only 1 second. They got a shot off and 2 put back attempts the second of which went in. How you can get 3 shots with 1. something seconds left is beyond me. We got beat by our own clock! Tough loss for the Flames.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Anonymous wrote:Please educate me on "facebook"
GRM, you need to get a .edu email address. All you need to do is contact the university that you graduated from and they can give you one. Then go to www.facebook.com and register. GRM have you ever taken any external degree courses at Liberty? If so you can get one from LU. Hoep that helps.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
So, not knowing Liberty University existed before 1995 or so, please explain to me what was going on back then. Apparently we had one of the best backcourts in the country, and then a few years later, we had a couple of the best postmen in the country. I know how we got the Nigerians. How did we land guys like Alston and Tim Scarborough, besides the latter being underrecuited apparently. Was Meyer just that great of a recruiter? It seems like the way you describe it, we were successful right away despite comparably poor facilities. Why did we only have 1 tournament appearance pre-RD? Tell me!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
for most of the time "Timmy the Great" was around, the NCAA tourney wasn't an option b/c we were still D2. I believe it was in our soph year that we went D1. After 1990, I can't speak for the program.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm anxious to hear these insiders explain the Bailey situation. There was WILD speculation when he arrived on campus.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
A little chronology. 1987-88 season we played an all division 1 non conference schedule but we still competed in the division II Mason Dixon Conference with Mount St Mary's and Longwood, Randolph Macon in Ashland VA and UPJ (Pitt-Johnstown) and UMBC. Alston was a transfer from Rutgers. His high game as a frosh was vs Kenny Smith and UNC when he scored 15. Truthfully nobody knew how good he really was back then. There was a lot of buzz but he was a secret. Don't know how Liberty got him but Meyer did. To be honest we were trying to win division 1 games with division II talent. By the time RD came in 1990 as a young assistant (my senior year) we had a few players but not enough talent. We had many transfers that could have been good like Mark Tellechia 6-8, Todd Cline (6-9) Jeff Baker (6-10), And Mike Coleman 6-9. They all came in at the same time with Zach Harris as well in 1988 and 89 as Frosh but none but Coleman graduated from LU. Zach was booted out with BJ Burton in 90-91 for using a stolen credit card at the mall. It was a girls credit card too I think. I still give him grief about that. BJ's dad was a pro football reciever for the Chargers. Todd Cline's brother mark was a standout at Wake Forest and a litte guard named Rodney Harden from Valparaiso had a brother Roger that played at Kentucky. Our guys were nearly as good as their brothers were too but even little Harden got the boot. Stephon Leary came in with that group in 87-88 too and started with BA as a frosh. Once Steve Farqhahar came back from injury and I emerged as a viable point guard (really we were all 2 guards except Steph), They moved Farqhahar and me to point and Alston played the 2 primarly. We had some good perimeters but our bigs were young then they all left. Baker, Cline and Tellechia. Coleman ended up being a great player for Liberty but he was hurt for most of our Sr year in 90. Had he been healthy we would have won a lot more. Coleman had 3 good seasons after that. Basically it wasn't until Hildebrand and Toomer's group came in that we were in a conference. Our group never played in a conference so we had no chance really of getting in the NCAA's. The first year of that next group there were no seniors (I should have been on that team but I played in 4 games my frosh year and lost my eligibility. To this day coach Meyer says it is one of his biggest regrets as a coach). They won 5 games that year but as Sophs those guys really got good. Also Julius was a frosh when I was a senior and if he could have played with Alston and me it would have been tough to beat us. Basically 2 pro's on the floor at the same time (no not me). No one knew I would amount to anything so that is why my frosh year got burned up. They petitioned for a waiver for Julius from the NCAA's to let him play with us but were denied. He only played 3 years at LU as a prop 42 player. My 5th year the NCAA denied my request for a red shirt my frosh year. In Summary, there were good players at LU during that time but it takes a lot to put together a winning team a this level and Meyer and the coaches were still figuring it out. Plus we had no conference the first few years of division 1 and then they were young. Julius opened up the Nigerian pipeline that we hope to have re-opened real soon....As far as only having 1 championship the Big South was really tough back then and we did get close a few times. We should have hed 2 in 96 and 97 but we lost in the final game both times and both games were in the Vines Center!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
As far as how I got to Liberty, Luconn is right I was under recruited. Not 1 division 1 team even looked at me because of the school I went to. Plus I played forward and center in high school. I was in the top 5 in scoring in the state of PA and had all the accolades a player could want but no one was calling. I decided to go to Liberty for 2 reasons. 1 was I grew up in Christian education and wanted to continue and the second is because I felt that I was better than the players there. If Alston had not transfered in, I would have been able to put up numbers (not like him because he was amazing) but more. Charles Richardson transferred in from Spring Arbor the year before me and he, Alston and myself used to destroy the 1st team in practice my first year in 86-87 which was the last full year of division 1. I told Alston that one day we would be the starting backcourt someday. He actually didn't laugh at me even though he could have. 2 seasons later it came true. I have an article about it in my scrap book that I would gladly show you guys someday if I ever get a scanner. Anyway, I feel like a pioneer of sorts because we certainly took our licks back then and laid the foundation for this program. That is why I am here and why I am so passionate about this program. To me playing division 1 basketball as a walk-on is still to me one of my life's greatest accomplishments. Another is being a TV commentator without any formal training whatsoever. So Liberty Basketball will always be a part of me as long as I live.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone have a kleenex? I am getting a little misty eyed after that post :D (or it is my allergies)
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
What is this the Tim Scarborough web site? Do you have nothing better to do on the 4th!!! Give me a break Scar.... That was a good read though, but I only believe half of what you say.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
KillenM, you know how I was back in the mid 90's when Marco and Larry would have to run because they couldn't get a stop on their coach and a few walk ons. Just imagine if I was in top physical condition and you have a decent 2 guard on your hands ( forced to play the one). I have to tell the truth on this board though because Monster, Big -e-, RedDog, Bald Spot, Sly, Telly, Chaz, Jones and others were all there and would hold my feet to the fire. I have told you guys all the good stories. If you want I can tell some of the horrible ones too. Like when we lost 10 in a row on the road my senior year (not many home games during your first few years of division 1. Just ask Longwood), and Williams, Alston, Badget and myself were sitting in the restaurant looking at our placemats which happen to have a map of the US. I looked at BA and said, man we have been getting our buts kicked all over this map and I started pointing to Ohio, Florida, WV, Kentucky etc. All we could do was laugh to keep from crying. Or the time after a loss (can't remember the game but Big -e- reminded me of this) coach Ken Brooks came to the back of the bus and ripped a few of us a new one for laughing and joking. I learned really fast that losing can be tough on everyone and can affect your whole life. I was back there doing my best Rodney Dangerfield impression and had my boys cracking up but I guess it was bad timing. :wink:
5 plus 7 model

Process of elimination... Why is ND left with 2 g[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now :[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]