If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There is conflicting information on whether a scholie was still offered, but Duwan has verbally committed to the Flames:

Duwan Kornegay
6' 4" Shooting Guard
Rowlett (TX) God's Academy
Originally from Los Angeles
Plays AAU ball for Team Texas

Rivals Profile
MySpace Profile That Includes Highlights

College Choices (as of 6/19/06):
Southern Miss
Texas A&M
LIBERTY

Apparently Duwan flew back out to Cali to run with the And1 guys this summer:
What Main Event and AND1 have created is an opportunity - a parallel road to the NBA that seemingly has more potential than the NBDL, David Stern's pet project minor-league for the NBA.

That's why you'll see a guy like 15 year-old Duwan Kornegay show up at Open Run to get his name out there. Only playing basketball for two years, Kornegay is still growing into his 6'5" frame and has shown explosiveness and athleticism that can make him a star. Already establishing himself as a great dunker and shooter, Kornegay, who flew in from Dallas, TX, is honing his skills as a point guard at God's Academy in Dallas.

"The Mix Tape Tour is giving me a chance to see what I have to work on," said Kornegay, who plans on following the Tour from stop to stop until he can get his run against the AND1 guys. "This is my road to college - people will know my name."
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17636.shtml
Last edited by Sly Fox on October 7th, 2006, 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By GhostMan
I seen this Kid Play There's no way a D-1 Coach can't find him useful for any team in the country.He can shoot,Dunk,Dribble,Pass at 6'5 playing gaurd that sound very worthy too me and ive only seen him play in person 2twice both games he scored over 25 point with rebound and jerk.He will be on someones team and they will be lucky too have him cuzz i know i will and a few other programs.

By Texas Info
He goes to a School called God's Academy in Irving,texas a prep school i believe.They was in the news paper the New Yorks time i believe it to be.About prep school not being acedited and his school was so yeah he's a legit player 4 real.Duwan Kornegay has game I wonder what the team looks like.Maybe i can do a story on him and the school if i can contact him.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Nice Info. Why not register and stick around and give us some more information.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I believe God's Academy is supposed to be playing down here in Houston against CCCS or the new school on the northside that has taken all of the old Heritage Christian kids. If Duwean is still on our radar by this winter, I should be able to catch him in action.
By Ghostman33
Registration Days
Yes he is still at God's Academy and they will be playing CCS in Houston just go to the God's Academy website.In the Adidas world i heard he was the Top kid in the Midwest elite camp in Ohio.I wanna see this kid play but i need to cacth him closer to home.Anybody have any new news on him?

Nov. 7th @ Humble Life Christian School Vs. God's Academy
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Life Christian in Humble is essentially the old Heritage Christian from up in Cleveland, Texas. The coach switched schools and basically brought his best players and has added a bunch more including a pair of the top Candian prospects.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to catch him in action.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
We're certaintly (potentially) stocking up on gaurd talent.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
We're certaintly (potentially) stocking up on gaurd talent.
Sounds like the St. Joe's model from a couple of years ago when LU made it back to the round of 65.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Any confirmation on campus? Come on guys, I know you have the connections.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Well he is listed as a Liberty commit on the the school website. So I'll take that as enough confirmation to change the title of this thread:

God's Academy Roster

You'll notice the impressive lineup with him. In all likelihood every player on that roster will earn a college scholarship.

And they are coming down this way next month for me to check out Duwan in person.
By GA
Registration Days
Duwan is going to help Liberty alot. He can shoot. He has mad hops. He also is a great defender.

God's Academy
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I am not clear on this, did we get a vebal commit or an actual signing?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I believe its a verbal commit because the signing period hasn't arrived yet.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for dropping by, GA. Since you are familiar with his game can you describe his strengths for thos eof us who have yet to see him in action?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
So we don't really have anything yet. Verbals are withdrawn everyday. Hopefully this one will stick.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:So we don't really have anything yet. Verbals are withdrawn everyday. Hopefully this one will stick.
Not very often in basketball, especially with the signing period only a month away. Yes, it happens, but about the only times I've seen verbal commitments not work out for Big South squads is if the player ends up not qualifying academically or something like that...
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
I don't know why we are getting so hyped over this one player....Does anyone remember when Larry Blair was signed by Liberty?? He was KNOWN as a scorer by the best recruiters, and proved it right away. Kornegay is not even recognized by some of the major recruiting services. I remember watching him in the NACA tournament last year. The prep team competed in the next to highest bracket and finished 3rd. I think Liberty should try and go after Jacolbe Sampson. He could still enroll before the season started, and he is a legit 3-4 prospect.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I don't believe Duwan played for God's Academy last year. He transferred in this summer.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Sly asks "Any confirmation on campus? Come on guys, I know you have the connections."

The priority down there is Sei Paye. No commit on the Duwan part. Most feel that Paye is
the # 1 combo guard in Houston (almost as good as Brewington and Blair).
Hey jmdickens

Well if you seen him last year,You will see him again as a senior alot better.They only had 10 player last year, how could they compete with basketball powerhouses, They had to play in the 2 divi.By the article they only had 40 student attending there last year.Do your research he just moved to Texas a year ago from california never play AAu till last year back and forth from Texas AAu teams and California AAu teams.Hes ranked in the nation and in his state.Believe me he had better Offers than Liberty,such as Texas A&m,Colorado,Southern Miss,San Diego State thats some i know of from articles in him.He's going to fit Sei Panye never seen him play but im sure him and Kornegay would be a match.Duwan Kornegay is commited a done deal.So who cares what the haters think hes a Flame.
Last edited by Ghostman33 on October 8th, 2006, 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
yea, in the other thread i wrote that he had liberty as his college from 2007-2010... he said he'll be here this summer
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Glad to have the young man on board!

exciting times for LU MBB- whatever it takes to dethrone WU and go a round or 2 ( :shock: ) into the tourney!
By Ghostman33
Registration Days
From my research Blair in 2003 was only ranked 185th in the country.Duwan Kornegay is ranked 121th in the country u do the math.How is he not known to any ranking websites.My info from Hoopscoop has ranking all the way to 1987 to now.Hes that good
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]