If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Harp has already been offered by UVA and Stanford, Sly I am sure that you can shed some more light on the Texas native...Coach Dunton has got the ball rolling on the 07 class we have 2 schloarships on the table, but 06 is going to be completely different from 05
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Holy cow. Kid must be VERY smart. Let's hope he's VERY evangelical.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts

I've actually heard of this kid even though I'm nearly closer to Lynchburg than Abilene. Harp plays for a very large high school way out in the middle of West Texas. If you've ever seen Friday Night Lights (or read the book which was 10x better than the film) you've heard of the school even though they are better known for their football than their hoops. It would be a fantastic pickup if we were to snare this kid. His dad was the hoops coach at a conservative SBC school down here in Texas. Anytime we are recruiting against the General it is cool with me.

Ryan Harp
6' 4" 185 lb Shooting Guard
Abilene (TX) Cooper H.S.
Averaged 22.8 Pts & shot 42% from behind arc as Junior in '05-'06

Rivals & Scout Give Same Rating:

Rivals Profile
Scout Profile

Here's a fishwrap blurb from Friday that talks about Ryan's current recruiting situation:
•Northwestern is one of several schools recruiting Ryan Harp, a 6-4 junior shooting guard from Abilene, Texas. Last season Harp averaged 22.8 points and shot 42 percent from 3-point range. He also is an honors student ranked 12th in his class.

Northwestern assistant coach Mitch Henderson already has made two trips to Abilene to see Harp play. According to Marc Case, Harp’s coach at Cooper High School, Henderson indicated three weeks ago that Northwestern would offer Harp a scholarship.

Harp also is being recruited by Stanford, Arizona State, Texas Tech and TCU. He could get an early taste of the Princeton offense, which Case plans to use more in 2006-07.

“Northwestern is the kind of school that he’s looking for,” Case said. “I don’t think he’s the kind of kid who’s afraid to go away from home.

“One advantage they may have in recruiting him is he’s got grandparents and other family in the Midwest. His mom and dad are from Indiana.”
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/northwestern.asp

Are you getting excited about this kid's potential yet? Well here's another story from this past fall on Ryan from the Abilene fishwrap:
D-I schools size up Cooper's Harp

By Bill Hart
October 2, 2005

The who's who of NCAA Division I basketball coaches have been coming to town and more are on the way, making it like a three-ring circus at the Cooper High gymnasium.
The reason is 6-4 junior shooting guard Ryan Harp, who is rated as the 19th top junior basketball prospect in the state. One, however, has committed to play football at Oklahoma.

Cooper coach Marc Case says Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, Northwestern North Carolina State, Valparaiso, William and Mary, Stanford (which was here Friday) and Rice have had representatives here and a Notre Dame coach is scheduled to come in Monday.

In addition, Harp has had letters from Arizona, Syracuse and Florida among others.

Two things have helped Harp gain respect nationwide. After his freshman year, the Cougar was among 126 high school basketball players invited to a Nike Hoop Jamboree camp in St. Louis. One of the players there was the son of Michael Jordan, who needs no introduction.

Then last summer, Harp played for the Texas Top Prospects, an AAU team from the Metroplex who played in several prestigious tournaments throughout the country. Taking in two of the games was Texas Tech coach Bobby Knight.

Ryan Harp's father, former Hardin-Simmons University basketball coach Dennis Harp, says Ryan probably will decide where he is going next November, taking the heat off recruiting during the Cougars' regular season.

The younger Harp ranks 10th in his class academically. That came from his mother.
http://www.reporternews.com/abil/sp_lc_ ... 10,00.html

And here's a story on how he was the Abilene area player of the year this past season as a junior:
Coogs' Harp voted player of the year

By Troy Shockley / shockleyt@reporternews.com
April 14, 2006

For Texas Tech coach Bobby Knight to travel three hours by car so he can watch a high school basketball game, someone on the floor must be fairly impressive.

Bringing The General to Cooper High School this past season was junior guard Ryan Harp who, despite not having a strong supporting cast, kept the Cougars in most every game until the end. Scouts from across the country have flown in to get a first-hand look at Harp, including those from UNLV, Northwestern, North Carolina State, Florida State, Notre Dame, William & Mary, Texas A&M and Wichita State.

That attention alone is more than enough to make the Division I prospect the 2005-06 Abilene Reporter-News Class 4A-5A Boys All-Big Country Player of the Year
And over on the SMU board, they have posted a story from somebody who covers Stanford:
Meet Ryan Harp

Mike Eubanks
TheBootleg.com
May 12, 2006

For the second straight year, the Cardinal find themselves intensely recruiting in the Lone Star State, albeit focused on a player not from the hoops hotbeds of Dallas or Houston. Last year Stanford mined Will Paul from Corpus Christi in south Texas. This year Trent Johnson is traveling to Abilene in west Texas, where we find 6'4" shooting guard Ryan Harp. Neither his town nor his high school scream high-major, but this kid can gun.

Losing is no fun. Being the recognized star (and sole) talent on your losing high school team is less fun. Being the only shooter on a team unable to find the basket - now Friday evenings start to feel like an audio tape tour led by Virgil through warm concentric circles. Such, unfortunately, was the 2005-06 basketball season for Ryan Harp at Abilene (Tex.) Cooper High School. The talented junior endured a downward spiral for the Cougars, surviving on an island.

"We started off really well before district started. We were 12-4," Harp begins. "We kind of went downhill from there. All of a sudden, we were 0-4 to start the district. After that, we couldn't get it together."

"We couldn't put the ball in the basket. Nobody could score. People didn't try to get to the basket any more, and they relied too much on jump shots," he analyzes. "I was able to score, but it was hard. I can't remember any games where I didn't see some kind of crazy defense. A 'box and one' or a 'triangle and two.' In a typical game, I would get five good looks and hit maybe four of them. I would get to the free throw line a lot and get out and run whenever I could."

The Cooper Cougars finished dead last in their district. Yet Harp incredibly was voted as the Offensive Most Valuable Player in the district. The 6'4" scorer averaged 22.5 points, nine rebounds, three assists and two steals per game. Harp shot 48% from the field, 74% from the free throw line, and a sizzling 43% from three-point range.

"It was really good for me because there wasn't one time where I didn't have to work for it," he says of his scoring.

Harp played predominately at the point for his high school team, though he would also move off the ball at times to play one of the two wing positions. Unless you are one of the college coaches who made the trek to Abilene this winter, you are more likely to see Harp with his AAU team, the Texas Top Prospects. There he plays at the shooting guard position where most believe he will play at the next level.

"We have a pretty good point guard. He sets people up," Harp says of AAU teammate Brent Stanton.

The Texas Top Prospects played three events in April during the evaluation period. One trip brought them to Georgetown (Tex.) for the Tops in Texas tournament, where Harp helped his team defeat the well-known Houston Swoosh squad before losing in the championship game. They also attended an event in Pearland. But the king of all spring events remains the Kingwood Classic, where Harp played before a national audience of college coaches and put on a show.

His team went 2-0 in their pool on Saturday and by a scheduling quirk had to play a third game that same day, which they lost to the hallowed Dallas Mustangs - down to the wire with a three-point loss. But the second game of that day for Harp saw his squad upend the Illinois Fire. The Prospects' point guard was out of commission, forcing Harp to take primary ballhandling responsibilities. While that arguably curtailed his opportunities to score, the Abilene man made the best of the situation.

He scored 18 points, grabbed eight rebounds and dished four assists in the upset win. The gym was buzzing. Coaches afterward laid a bevy of flattering comparisons upon Harp, ranging from "a better Matt Carroll" to "a carbon copy of Rex Walters" to "a poor man's Jason Kidd." Take your pick, but those are each ringing endorsements for the relative unknown from Abilene.

"Virginia - I had never gotten any mail from them before, and all of a sudden they started calling after Kingwood," the recruit relates.

"Kansas State, Iowa State, Wake Forest, SMU and Virginia all indicated after Kingwood that they 'loved his game' and wanted to know if it was too late to get involved," adds father and former Hardin-Simmons University men's basketball head coach Dennis Harp. "They seem to indicate they would all offer him a scholarship."

Harp's firm offers have come from TCU, Northwestern, Valparaiso and William & Mary. It is debatable, depending on how you follow semantics from the coaches, whether a number of Big XII schools like Texas Tech and Texas A&M have offered. At the very least, Bobby Knight has made three-hour drives from Lubbock to watch Harp's high school games in person.

In the ACC, Florida State and North Carolina State have both been involved with Harp, though the departure of Herb Sendek from Raleigh has carried those recruiting efforts now to Tempe, adding Arizona State to Stanford in the list of Pac-10 suitors.

"It's kind of hard to choose," says Harp of his favorites. "But one that kind of stands out is Stanford. They are an elite school, and the location is great. One of my AAU teammates, Chris McClain, his sister plays lacrosse at Stanford and says it's incredible."

The Cardinal have been recruiting Harp since before his junior season, and they have made a handful of trips to Abilene in the fall, winter and spring. With a GPA in the 3.6-3.7 range and a pair of AP classes on his junior transcript, Harp has promising academics to go with his shooting ability, court savvy and perimeter defense. Last weekend he took an important step for Stanford by sitting down for the SAT for the first time.

"It was real, real long," he exhales. "But it wasn't that bad. If I can get a 1200 on the old scale, that would be great. We'll have to see."

Harp has his eye on a college commitment by the end of the summer, which would mean a strict diet of unofficial visits now that the NCAA no longer allows official visits before a prospective student-athlete starts his senior year. No trip is yet on the books to take him to The Farm, but Harp says he plans on seeing Stanford "sometime this summer."

"By the middle or end of the summer, I will have a decision probably," he forecasts. "After I make some unofficial visits and talk to my parents, I should have a pretty good idea."

We have a pretty good idea that Ryan Harp is a recruit worth watching closely in the next few months. Stay tuned for his all the latest on his recruiting story as it develops.
http://www.glass4.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... f012ae7509

http://www.reporter-news.com/abil/sp_ba ... 88,00.html

There's a ton more on this kid that is easy to find online. Basically if we can get this kid on campus it would be a huge coup.
By Guest
I assume we are talking about 2007 with this kid and he wouldn't be signed till at the earliest fall 2006. Am I correct?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You are correct. We already have our 2006 class signed and ready to rock this fall.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
We got 2 up for grabs for the 2007 season...
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
What are the chances we get this kid from all of these major schools? I didn't see our name in any of the articles (didn't read them extremely well either). I'm just asking, not trying to start crap.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Normally I don't post this kind of stuff.. but the visit apparently went well from what I was told, there was one other kid here today too but I forget his name... There is an idea floating around and I would like everyones opinion on this of starting a weekly write-up aka like a mailbag where you can e-mail questions and coach will answer them and catch everybody up to speed as to what is going on with the program that week or what has gone on that week, and it would be on libertyflames.com
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I had the same question as SJ- I didnt see anything indicating we were interested. Good that we are- are you saying he was on campus, GMTM?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
GMTM that is a great idea about the letters to the coach/weekly mailbag thing. I would like to see that on the Libertyflames website for football, Men's hoops, women's hoops, and baseball since those are the sports/coaches everyone seems to be most passionate about (with apologies to Coach Alder and Tolsma in Soccer and Track respectively). This kid would not be the first player recruited by big schools that we ended up getting. Virtually everyone we go after now is being recruited by major schools at some level. Sometimes they are high on the list and other times they are just interested. This kid sounds like the majors are highly interested but that still doesn't exclude Liberty. Remember, we still have a lot to offer a kid, Christian education, TV package, great facilities, a good chance to play in the NCAA's with a conference that is winable every year, and other things (IMAX Theatre? :wink: ).
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I've always assumed that when we go after guys like this, it's pretty much because if they played here they would be practically starting for 4 years. At most of the other schools, they may just be looking for a role player or a 7th man off the bench. Just because big name schools are recruiting him, doesn't mean he's got the talent to avoid the bench for the first couple of years there, becuase in order to do that you'd have to be very exceptional. But those articles didn't make me too optimistic.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
also I'd like for SJ to take the "we" out of his statement as he's professed his love for the chantiqueer bball team too many times last season.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He apparently was visiting the 'Hoos as well so I am guessing it was all part of a big trip to check out schools. If you are already headed to Charlottesville, why not go ahead and check out Lyjnchburg while you are halfway across the continent?

Since his dad used to coach at a small Christian college, I am sure he has probably had more exposure to us than most kids of similar talent that far away from Virginia. Just speculating, but perhaps there might even be a connection between Papa Harp and someone on our staff. But whatever the reason, anytime you get kids like this on campus it is an accomplishment.

Are we likely to land this kid? Who knows? But its certainly a longshot from the outside looking in. But that doesn't mean it can't happen. By allindications he would fit in very nicely at the two arriving just as LB finishes up his senior season. And Coach D has proven an ability to recruit the Lone Star State. So let's keep our eyes on this one. One of the articles mentions that he wants to make a decision by November before his senior season gets started.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Schools at our level don't usually land big named recruits that sign early. It is the ones that wait for a long time and forge a great relationship with the coaching staff that end up being steals at this level. If they sign early, it is usually because the right Big school came after them and made them a priority.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:also I'd like for SJ to take the "we" out of his statement as he's professed his love for the chantiqueer bball team too many times last season.
don't be too hard on the boy- using "we" is a big step here. Also, I think he's more of a beach-chicken FB fan than for hoops, but he can enlighten us when he gets up at around noon today.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:Schools at our level don't usually land big named recruits that sign early. It is the ones that wait for a long time and forge a great relationship with the coaching staff that end up being steals at this level. If they sign early, it is usually because the right Big school came after them and made them a priority.
That seems to be the key...if you are the first school to show a kid some love, he'll likely remember that when it comes time to pick a school. Winthrop was after Torrell Martin early and they got him to sign in the early signing period. If they had waited, they wouldn't have gotten him. The same thing happened with a signee for this year, Byron Faison...WU was targeting him for a long time, and got him to sign in November before he had a huge senior season which may have led him to getting bigger looks elsewhere...I'm sure that's how a lot of other schools at this level are able to get some of the more talented players that could play at higher levels...
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
WEF that is actually the opposite of what I was saying but you are correct as well. The ones that end up being a steal sometimes are the guys like Martin and Blair that sign early and end up being a major player that the majors would love to have but were too late. I was talking about the ones that the Majors are already on but end up at this level because they waited til the late period and in the interim got to build a relationship. Both cases happen at this level for sure.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Yeah...I see what you are saying now...either way, it takes alot of hard work and quite a bit of luck and fortunate timing to land these types of players.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
SCAR that is the plan...more to come in the next few days...
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
LUconn wrote:also I'd like for SJ to take the "we" out of his statement as he's professed his love for the chantiqueer bball team too many times last season.
don't be too hard on the boy- using "we" is a big step here. Also, I think he's more of a beach-chicken FB fan than for hoops, but he can enlighten us when he gets up at around noon today.
Sorry, I slept in today, didn't wake up til one.

As for Coastal basketball and things of that nature: I had been here what, a month? I knew the coach down there, didn't know a single player here, had been involved in midnight madness, why would I pull against them after only a month? At the time, I had no involvement with LU athletics except for the fact that I was on campus a couple hours a day for classes. It's now June, I've met the athletic director, a couple assistant athletic directors, Coach Dunton, and multiple other people. I've been here six month.

As for football, yes, I still root for Coastal football. That's because I still know a few players on the team, along with knowing a lot of the cheerleaders, band members, etc. With that being said, I'm also on the leadership committee for the SFC and won't pull against LU in anything. I also know a few players. You can never take Coastal out of me and quite frankly, I'm tired of having to justify it.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
All the more reason for us to continue to pick on you for it.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I found out that Liberty has an inside track on this kid and that he really liked Lynchburg and Liberty. Having a relationship with people close to the player can really make a world of difference. After finding out what I did, I would say Liberty has a shot for sure.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
You're not at liberty (no pun intended) to say what that track is are you?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
No I would rather not reveal that info. I would have to check with my source before making specifics public.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
oooohh Mr. Fancy pants has a big source 8)
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Wow, that's kind of wild.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]