If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By grm
Registration Days Posts
Let's see, steal-3-steal-3 overtime - whoops, make that foul - miss etc etc
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Don't get me wrong, BSC is arguably the second best team in the conference. But we had every opportunity to win this one despite sleeping through most of the second half. Its great to see Anthony scoring in addition to Larry, but we need someone else to help.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
BSC - 61
LU - 51
Final
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Need some power inside, it looks like. Blair is unbelievable. Now to listen to the interview - hopefully. See what Dr. Dunton has to say.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
High Point giving Winthrop all they want, and maybe more. Maybe on a good day, LU can compete. ??
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Flames only got to FT line 5 times!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Its tough to win on the road in this league. We have to play REALLY well but WU can be beat at Vines.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
No comments from Coach Dunton. I have a feeling he was as frustrated as the rest of us.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Probably - I guess we can turn out the lights - the party's over. I'm glad to hear that you think we can compete with WU,
even if only at home. Honestly, I believe they'll come up with some wins, but obviously, there has to be some major physical presence in and around the paint. I don't have any idea how Blair is scoring without major inside threat. Randy always talks about how he can get his shot off from so many different angles - and I guess that's it. His speed doesn't hurt either. Quick enough to make some room, accurate enough to make it count.

Anyway - Praise the LORD
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We have enough talent to compete every night. We just need some of these guys to step up down low just enough to take the heat off Larry, Anthony & Damien.
By Realist
Registration Days Posts
HP tried to mug WU at High Point. Another whistle contest by Steve Coleman and crew who are getting rave reviews around the big south. Double technicals, etc. Gaynor had 4 fouls with 12 minutes left in the game. HP got every break and call, but WU was able to pull it out. Torrell went off with 27, and a stretch of a couple minutes where he scored 14 points with 4 threes.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That's a sign of how good you guys really are. Even when things don't go your way you find a way to win. Still I'm surprised HP played with the Eagles. Its going to be tough for WU to go undefeated in league play. Winning on the road in this league is never easy.
By Realist
Registration Days Posts
Well, that one was the one I thought we'd lose if we lost one. I imagine BSC will be fairly tough at home the way they've played since the opener. WU led by 17 at one point, but they didn't get a break and having Gaynor out with foul trouble certainly hurt. Shuler got injured again as well, though he still played.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Decent crowd but very quiet until 3 minutes to go but I guess when you score 5 points in the first 8 minutes if the 2nd half, it is hard to get excited. Smith is getting better and better. Risher is in the doghouse for some reason. We just couldn't get the shots to fall when we needed them to. Can't wait to get a big man. What about out Lagos, Nigeria connection? How many times is Hubbard going to foul someone and give up the basket. I guess "Brew Pub" is enrolled since he was w/ the team. One bright spot tonight Coach Rocco had one big kid w/ him. He had him talking w/ Jerry and the gang.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
****sigh****.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Coach Rocco said he has a couple of recruits at the game tonight and I wouldn't be surprised if we had a hoops recruit visiting as well.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
same old story...larry steps up and has very little support. anthony smith did have a good game, but hubbard and porter were non-existent. if two out of three of these guys could be consistent, and help larry with the scoring load, we can win some games. to their credit they never quit, and played hard. the crowd was nice, but quiet most of the game. we still have only one Div 1 win. lets hope the guys do not get frustrated. we just need consistency.
By guest forever
Watched most of the game on TV after recovering from seeing Duke fall to Georgetown. The next three road games are a crucial stretch for LU. I don't want to be too negative but the Flames just do not have much a supporting role for Blair and without that it is very tough to win on the road. Some of Blair's shots were amazing and Anthony Smith is showing some promise for the future.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Our offense is pathetic. To much dribbling around the arc. We'd have three guys making the same cut or in the same place. With the shooters we have on this team, we need to space things out a little better. Might as well forget about any kind of post game. Eck is about as bad as Rashad. He can't even make a layup. Doug Stewert's confidence is completely shot. He jacked up some of the worst shots I've ever seen. Hubbard threw up a couple airballs as well. Porter should never be anywhere near the 3 point line, instead working in the post. Russell can't breath without picking up a foul. It takes Risher like 15 minutes to bring the ball up the court. We need to be running, we're not going to overpower (especially with Hubbard playing in the post) or out-execute anybody without a real point-gaurd. All in all, a very tough game to watch.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
I spoke to Brewington last night and he is indeed enrolled, as is Alex McClean, who was there.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Terrific. Help is on the way. It can't get here soon snough to get us out of our current funk but its good to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote: We need to be running...
I've been saying this for some time. And it's not like we need to do it because our halfcourt sucks, which it does. We need to do it because we're actually pretty good at it.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think in Coach D's defense it sure seems like he is waving his arm to get theball up the court all the time.

Running for running's sake isn't the panacea for our struggles. But it would allow us to make up for our frontcourt issues and utilize Larry and Anthony for more clean looks.

But midseason is probably not the time to be making wholesale philosophical changes.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Help's on the way...thats what you have to keep saying to yourself, and the team in street clothes that sits behind our bench reminds us all (I think theres like 10 of them!)

as for the crowed, even in the mid 90's I dont think the students truly understand what they should be doing at the game....

I went to the Duke Maryland @ Duke, and it's crazy how those fans are all aware of what's going on, that place is crazy....i'm headed back to the Wake game too so that should be fun

AND NO i'm not sayin we should have the same intensity or loyalty and all that stuff...it comes with time, but hopefully with enough time we'll have a mass email sent around with a cheer sheet so everyone will know what's on the list for the nite! i.e. Duke
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I think in Coach D's defense it sure seems like he is waving his arm to get theball up the court all the time.

Running for running's sake isn't the panacea for our struggles. But it would allow us to make up for our frontcourt issues and utilize Larry and Anthony for more clean looks.

But midseason is probably not the time to be making wholesale philosophical changes.
Well, when the current philosophy obviously isn't working, why not make a change? If anything, it could give Dunton a gauge as to the best style to use next year when he returns everyone and adds a couple of new parts.
Future Schedules.... Again

Did Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Qatar join the […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Though I don't like CAA, Richmond is taking a step[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

It's official Josh Smith has signed. [https://lib[…]

Athens Regional

I don’t know how to take that!