If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Well, the crowd and support comes with winning.

I think our school campus is fairly knowledgable about sports. But until we start winning and winning big, we're not going to have crowds that are totally and completely into the game. When we had our furious comback, before BSU blew us out of the water, Blair had a shot rim-out and it felt like the crowd was going to blow the roof off of the place had it taken another bounce into the hole.

Plenty of school spirit around the campus, just not a whole lot to cheer for right now. But then again, we've only had 4 home games. It's about the time of the year where Liberty goes on some ridiculous run. It seems every year, we completely suck until the last 10 or so games of the season where we run teams ragged. Hopefully, with some serious help coming on the court next season, we'll be able to build a little bit of a cushion and compete for the Big South crown once again.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Alright, here is my perspective from last nights game. I am sure you are all dying to hear what I have to say (yeah right). But anyway, I have not seen a team struggle so much to score points as this one is right now. Collectively it looks like a chore to even have the ball on offense. Without a real back to the basket presence it makes life really tough facing a team's half court defense. I agree that I think this team is best in transition but you need to rebound or force turnovers to run and we have not been able to do either very well of late. Every year so far since RD has come back to Lynchburg, our teams have had strong showings in Conference and been really tough at home. I don't see that happening with this team. In the past there have been players that have stepped up their game and given this team the extra boost it needs. In my opinion there is just nobody in the program to play back to the basket consistently right now. I mean no one. In the past you could post Leo Lightbourne, Gabe Martin or David Dees but those guys are not walking through that tunnel in the Vines right now. Trust me when I say this, no team works harder at getting better on offense but for some reason, the guys that can score (Stewart, Porter, Hubbard, Smith), have rarely all been hot at the same time. There is still time for this team but with 4 losses in conference and 2 already at home, they are playing for a home game in the first round at best at this point. Trying to get a 4 seed and a home game in the tournament will have to be the focus now. BSC is playing better than what everyone expected and Radford and HPU are tough this year as well as VMI playing much better (although they have struggled on the road). Still a lot of ball left to be played but if this team doesn't get something out of the post, I fear this is going to be a rough conference season. No one is as big a fan of this group than I am and I really hope they turn it around soon.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
The problem with the offense is RD trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.

There is no reason Hubbard should be playing anywhere BUT the wing. He can't post up and he turns the ball over frequently. Letting him drive and dish is probably the best option for him.

Watching the game with my girlfriend, she continously complained of being bored. I don't expect her to be much into the game but thats pretty much the telling story. It's boring. Unimaginative. Whatever word you want to define the pathetic attempt at an offense. It's too predictable.

Smith, Blair and Hubbard all played about 2 steps from each other all night long. Porter hung around about two steps ABOVE the free-throw line to just clog things up even more. We can stand around the arc and toss the ball back and forth, run cuts that teams know we're running and throw up something with the shot-clock counting down. We're simply not going to over-power anyone, our big-guys can't stay on the floor. If we're going to go with a small lineup, we need to run, run and run some more. We have the bodies. No point for us to try and pound the ball in a half-court setting right now, we don't have the pieces to compete while doing it.

We really can't man-up defensively, either. It may be time to experiment with a zone, or even a matchup zone. Our help defense stinks.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
we could write a 1000 page book on what are the problems with this team....but I think it boils down to one simple point...name 2 players that consistently come to play every night......only 1 comes to mind

I'm tired of looking up to the screen and seeing this

Blair - 24
Doe - 3
Doe - 4
Doe - 2
Doe - 7
etc, etc, etc

Someone has to step up...if not play to salvage the season then they better start playin to salvage their starting spot b/c next year there will be some new faces ready to step in
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
HMO has it pegged, and i have said it too, until we get someone other than larry to step up, this will continue to be the result. yes help is on the way, but that is next year. let's just hope someone will step up and as SCAR said play well enough to get a four seed.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Guys, as bad as this team looks at times we are really only two players from being right there with Winthrop. If we had a point like Brian Woodson, someone who didn't score alot but could knock down the open shot and distribute, and a big man that averaged double figures we could do some damage. Add that to LB, Smith, and Hubbard on the wing, with Porter and Bigby at the 4, and that's all we are missing. Hopefully Coach can get those two pieces for next year, and keep this guys happy for the rest of the year. We will see, but it could be a very long season. I thought by conference time we would be where we needed to be. Oh well. Go Flames
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
WELL, that was a whole lot of depressing. I'm glad I missed that mess. It stinks because I know Coach D is committed to winning , and I'm sure the guys are as frustrated as we are. Call it a rebuilding year- look to the future and try to gain whatever experience you can out of the rest of the season. Maybe WEF has a good point about revamping the gameplan. What else can we say?

Tomorrow's game is winner take all.

Prayers please

Best of luck to you! Life gonna change 👍🏼

NCAA Realignment Megathread

The push for a G5 playoff may be bigger th[…]

2024 Season Thread

I wish. DBU is a bit of a haul even from my locati[…]