If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU'sbestmanager
Anonymous wrote:i know we have oklahoma and FLORIDA for now
that was me by the way
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts

I wonder if now that there is a new man over in Norman whether or not the OU game is still locked in. Did we sign a guarantee contract?
Last edited by Sly Fox on April 16th, 2006, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Guest
yes it is
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Coach, thanks for stopping by:

How many new faces should we expect to see next season?

How excited are you about the improvements in depth and talent for next year?

Last season post play was lacking, do you expect to have a more balanced attack this coming year?

What weaknesses have been best addressed this offseason?

How are you new coaches adapting to the program?
By - Coach Dunton -
PeterParker-Thanks for the great questions. As for our morale--there is a genuine excitement to prepare for the next season. Mike Lucas is doing a tremendous job in the weightroom building strength the guys are investing six hours Mon.-Thurs. The bodies are showing real development. The majority go above and beyond because of their commitment. Coach Sherard, Jones and Eaker are so positive and that carries over to the team.
As for our goals for next season--we have upgraded the talent and Blair is going to fight like a pit bull to get back to the NCAA's. It will take some time to learn each other especially with Dwight
coming in after 6 games. Alex, Armon, Tyler and hopefully the young who visited with Larry Franklin last weekend will give us bodies, athletes and skills to give the balance of inside out play. The real goal is to be the best we are capable being. Defend and Rebound so we can get into transitiona. I am very excited to work with this group. BTW Damien is the most improved and having a productive spring.
As for the fans-Winning is the battle cry. We will initiate a "Faith in the Furnace" program to tie the student body to our team. I believe it is going to have a big impact. But I believe that people are going to be excited to watch the guys
I get back to you guys this week. Zack and I are on a 6am to Dallas. Some big visits so pray for success. Your support is appreciate and we are going to get there together. Blessings
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Coach - Are you flying into DFW or Love? I'm flying into Love later tomorrow morning and flying back Monday evening.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Coach, once again thanks for coming by to give us some insight.

I was wondering, what does our schedule look like?
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
i know we have lipscom again but over here, buffalo again at buffalo, two with longwood, FLORIDA, OKLAHOMA, we are in a byu tourny and one in orlando. that's all i know for now.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I heard that we might be playing BC?
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
i think i herd that too. but that isnt a def yet. i think we have a couple of gaurantee games to put on
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
crap, is Dudley gone? I can't stand him. I don't want that mug lighting us up and he does it to most teams.
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:crap, is Dudley gone? I can't stand him. I don't want that mug lighting us up and he does it to most teams.
he still has that decision to make. actually, coach jones coached him back at horizon christian acadamy back in cali. he's coached some good ones. there's a kid at oklahoma also. can u say reunion!
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Craig Smith is the one to worry about.. but I believe he graduated.
By Coach Dunton
kel varson-next season there will be at least six new faces within the thirteen schloarship players. We
are working to sign one more body to have the inside presence we lacked a year ago. We are in
hard on two talented junior college forwards and a 6'8" 250lb prep school post who will visit next
weekend. Coach Jones has us leading on a 5'8" dynamo guard that we may have to pass on due
lack of scholarship. We are passing on good players at this point. That is a credit to the work Coach
Sherard has done in covering all bases.
I am excited to coach this team. There is more than one bullet in the revolver. Last year if
we were fighting a grizzle bear we had one shot to kill him and some times we only wounded him
with the bullet then we were in trouble. Alex is doing all the things to be a presence in the Big South
offensively. So yes post play is a huge issue for success in 2006-2007. With Alex, Armon, Rell,
Tyler, Russell and one more ytbd we are taking a big step in the right direction. Dwight and Smitty
are going to be able to post as well. So I feel we will be able to force double teams with our post play. Leadersip at the point was a deficiency last season and we feel that Dwight, BJ and Larry F.
will bring many qualities that we were lacking in intangibles and skill to the team.
You ask about weaknesses we have addressed. First of all we will be a stronger physical
team. We lift M-Thrus for 6 hours and most of the guys do extra. Smitty's body is really showing
maturity. We are keeping the guys through Summer School session II and lifting with Mike Lucas
will be a daily staple. Armon Jones will be on campus to stay May 13th. It will very beneficial.
Our shooting should be a real strength with Baker, Blair, Larry F, BJ,and Brew. Smitty is making
strides to shorten his swing in the stroke and I believe will be a horse in many games next year.
The Staff is just awesome. They love Liberty University, are passionate about where we are
headed and professionals in all aspects of representing the program. I am getting closer to naming
a replacement for Coach Martin. We have had over 125 applicants with many current full time Div
I assistants applying. You all would be proud to hear how people in the business feel about the
opportunity to join our staff.
Let's sprint to position of real growth. The other day I was driving to work and turkey
buzzards were pouncing on some dead road carnage. I thought it was a good illustration of how
some of those critical or politically laced voices pounced on a wounded team last season. Many of
you have stayed in the fight, recognize the challenges and actively encourage our staff and team.
So as 2005-2006 fades in the rear view it is a great time for our relationships to move forward to
build this program. You can make contrbutions and like Sly keep abreast of potential recruits in
your area. May God bless your lives, enrich your opportunities and allow you to feel the heat of
the Flame.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Thanks COACH!

Top 2 quotes from that one:

We are passing on good players at this point.
There is more than one bullet in the revolver.
I don't know if my heart can take BSOUTH championships in FB, MBB -AND- WBB, but I'm willing to find out!
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:Thanks COACH!

Top 2 quotes from that one:

We are passing on good players at this point.
There is more than one bullet in the revolver.
I don't know if my heart can take BSOUTH championships in FB, MBB -AND- WBB, but I'm willing to find out!
Don't worry PA, Winthrop will make it a point to save your heart, at least on the MBB end.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
:lol:

you always have my back, man!

It would be great to make a real game of it next year, though.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Thanks Coach D.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote::lol:

you always have my back, man!

It would be great to make a real game of it next year, though.
psst.... we beat them at home.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Thanks coach once again for stopping by. We are all looking forward to next year with high anticipation!
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote: We are all looking forward to next year with high anticipation!
and that u should!!!
By D Edcil
Registration Days Posts
Well Coach D let the record show that I have no political motive in my posts. (Although I am probably more liberal then anyone here but BBF) Critical, probably, but hey such is life.
Here are my questions:
1. It seems we have had a lot of turnover during the last 4 years. You mentioned we are looking at 6 or 7 new faces this year as well. How many players have you brought in your first two years that are still here? I know it is still too early to look at graduation rates, but do you have any players on your roster that are in the 4th year or 3rd year of your program? I believe LB is, but is anyone else?
2. In the same vein, how many players total have you brought in the last four years, and how many have left? (How many for graduation and how many for other reasons?)

As for your Bear analogy, a good shot would only need one bullet to kill that bear!! I am personaly glad David had 5 stones, but only needed on! And finally, where was that road kill? I have some new recipes I was hoping to try out!!!
Thanks!
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
D Edcil.... there's a reason that David's story goes down as a miracle of God.... it was never meant to be the new standard...
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
TallyW wrote:D Edcil.... there's a reason that David's story goes down as a miracle of God.... it was never meant to be the new standard...
Oh come on TALLY I thought that was funny!! How about the old Marine Motto "One Shot One Kill" Or "It only takes a spark, to get a fire going......" (Very appropriate!!) But I would stay away from the ROAD KILL COOKBOOK!! Also, I sorta WOULD be interested in the answers to those questions. Seems like he may be on to something.
By guest
Turnover of roster if only part of the trouble here and now on Liberty mountain. Social issues, particularly with a current transfer, are said to be at odds with The Liberty Way. The team and coaching staff seems to have reached new heights of social pleasures on road trips which are counter to the standards of Liberty faculty/staff/students. The turnover within the program is only a biproduct of the lack of discipline evident in off the court issues.
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]