If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
At least you know it Brokeback! But let's all be honest, if we scroll back on FF and look at the threads during that awful season you'll find many saying how there is only 3 true DI ball players on that team....that's why I see no problem with bringing in as many as it takes in order to fill out a roster.....your concerns about if they will be smart, aggressive etc, etc are good concerns but they are also on the mind of most DI coach's....you really are getting sold a bill of goods, b/c just b/c they can do it at HS doesnt mean all of it will carry over to the DI level, but these are chances you have to take

Alex's body type is great, I've said it before but he reminds me so much of A.Mason from the knicks with that huge chest....as far as Armon and Winters, I wont give a comment on b/c I havent seen them first hand

With all this excitement, I forgot all about Rell Porter, it really will be great for these guys to get to learn from example with him, and there isnt anyone I rather teach them the right way to play the game, he's a good guy on and off the court and deserves to rank up there with some of our best when it comes to hustle points
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
So if we only had 3 "legitimate" DI ball players last year, a statement I am not sure I agree with, then on a 12 man roster who was responsible for bringing in the other 9? Was it the coaching staff? So those of us who are skeptical of this "Great" recruiting class DO have reason to be so.
Also, if we count Brew, wouldn't that be 6 new players for next season. (Assuming he plays?)
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Also, if we count Brew, wouldn't that be 6 new players for next season. (Assuming he plays?)
We do have 6 new players coming into the rotation if i'm not mistaken. Add in the transfers, freshman and Tyler Baker.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
recruiting rankings are ridiculous. i never get too excited about those lists. i do hear that this winters kid is the real deal. Coach D is really pumped!
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Brokeback, we're not going to open that can of worms again, just look back to page 3 or something like that on the Discuss everything coaching here, there were a lot of things that led to that
By Guest
HMO Brokeback refused to pull for the Flames when he worked for them. Why would he pull for them now?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I talked with Coach Dunton the other night and he is really excited about coaching this group of guys. I said it before but I fully understand why there are fans taking a wait and see approach. In fact you would be foolish not to. After all we have had great recruiting classes on paper in the past in both football and basketball and things have not worked out. Division 1 athletics is highly competitive and in addition to that coaching a group of 18-23 year olds can be challenging to say the least. I have not seen Armon Jones or Winters and no one knows for sure how Tyler Baker will do until next season but I do know that weaknesses were addressed on and off the court with this team and I for one do not drink anybody's cool-aide but my own and maybe the recipe my brother up in Philly has :wink: I will say that just because someone is critical doesn't mean they are not being supportive just like if someone is being positive doesn't necessarily mean they are sipping the cool-aide. At this point I think the moves that were made were good ones and I know the entire coaching staff feels good about what they have to work with going into next season. Everyone in the program is determined to do what it takes to not have another nightmare season like this past one. I am so ready for the fall and football season because basketball will be right around the corner! Go Flames!
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:I talked with Coach Dunton the other night and he is really excited about coaching this group of guys. I said it before but I fully understand why there are fans taking a wait and see approach. In fact you would be foolish not to. After all we have had great recruiting classes on paper in the past in both football and basketball and things have not worked out. Division 1 athletics is highly competitive and in addition to that coaching a group of 18-23 year olds can be challenging to say the least. I have not seen Armon Jones or Winters and no one knows for sure how Tyler Baker will do until next season but I do know that weaknesses were addressed on and off the court with this team and I for one do not drink anybody's cool-aide but my own and maybe the recipe my brother up in Philly has :wink: I will say that just because someone is critical doesn't mean they are not being supportive just like if someone is being positive doesn't necessarily mean they are sipping the cool-aide. At this point I think the moves that were made were good ones and I know the entire coaching staff feels good about what they have to work with going into next season. Everyone in the program is determined to do what it takes to not have another nightmare season like this past one. I am so ready for the fall and football season because basketball will be right around the corner! Go Flames!
SCAR once again you come with the voice of reason. You are certainly a talented and attractive man!! Is it so wrong to sample the nice Wait and See flavor of Kool Aid? That is all I am saying.
HMO - As for the 6 new players, I have read the post and understand the reasons, just saying how that played a factor. I guess there may be some people that don't want to see our program succeed, but what can you do!
As for our illustrious guest, you obviously have me confused with someone else. Maybe you should check the Kool Aid YOU are drinking!! :D
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, you'll never please everybody and when you start to try you'll get into some serious trouble. I think it is as good as it could possibly be at this stage in the year, but yall are so right about how much could happen from now til then, thats why I made the hypothetical statement about LB getting hurt....anything could happen, someone could make one bad mistake and ruin everything they worked so hard for....but either way these are great times for our MBB program and with the current track record RD has shown us we have no reason but to believe that this ship has done a 180 until he shows that we shouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
HMO, I think you may heve the track record thing reversed here a little bit based on our W-L's the last couple of years, but that is for another time and thread.
I am hoping that this class is for real and that we do indeed have a turn around season. I tend to get real excited when I hear about the positive things that seeem to be happening in our football and basketball recruiting. But I always try to temper my enthusiasm a little based on a quote from former AD Chuch Burch. He told me one time while we were discussing some incoming athletes that showed great promise and ability, " they are all great until they get here." I think the anology is that this is like a pro draft, you don't really what what you are getting until they have been here a year or so. All you really know is what the kid has done against questionable competititon, for the most part, and try to gauge the possible future upside.
That being said, I am going to upgrade my Flame Club Membership this year based on the progress that "appears" to have been made in the two programs, and encourage all here to do the same.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Flameshaw that's great to hear, it's nice to see people who are open to the idea of "upgrading" when they feel their money is getting put to good use with good programs...there are to many that will turn their back until something changes at the top in order to get their attention

But as far as the RD thing goes your right that is another thread, but I dont think their is anything backwards about 2,1,2 and then a awful year...that deserves respect, he's finished at the top a lot more then at the bottom, thats why I've giving him the benefit of the doubt.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
I've always believed in the "2-1-2" defense as well. But I think the 1-3-1 is even stronger.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Not now with all these big men!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Bada Bing :)

Seriously, if there is ever a time to jump on the bandwagon it is this time of year. There's plenty of room so bring family & friends.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Here's the Press Release guys!
Flames Sign Winters To National Letter Of Intent

May 19, 2006
Lynchburg, Va.

Liberty University head men’s basketball coach Randy Dunton has announced the signing of Lamont Winters to a national letter of intent for the 2006-07 season.

“Our staff has prioritized Lamont since December in the recruiting process for post player prospects,” stated Dunton. “With his size, athletic ability and desire to learn, I see all the ingredients to bolster our inside presence. Lamont’s addition to the program is something to get excited about.”

Winters, a 6-8, 260 lb. post player, comes from Genesis One Christian High School in Mendenhall, Miss., where he averaged 12.0 points and 10.0 rebounds per contest as a senior. Winters was recently awarded the Blue Ribbon All-Academic Award, given to the student-athlete with the highest GPA at Genesis One annually.

“I was so impressed by the facilities and the caring nature of all the people at Liberty University,” said Winters. “Coach Dunton really believes in my ability to help the team get back to the NCAA Tournament. The players and staff really seem to be like family.”

Winters, who is a native of Queens, Jamaica, was recently ranked as the fourth-best player in the MagnoliaPreps.com Class of 2006 rankings, while the post player was ranked as 304th in the nation by HoopScoop.com’s latest rankings.

“Lamont Winters is a 6’8”, 260 lb. player who is very agile on the court,” commented Victor Evans, Winter’s coach at Genesis One. “He runs the floor and rebounds with the best of them. Lamont is a tremendous kid with personality plus. Lamont and his mother made a great decision by signing with Liberty University and Coach Randy Dunton. I am confident that the Liberty staff will bring out the best of him on and off the court.”

[/quote]
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
It is great to hear about him! I can't wait to see them all on the court. This could be a very exciting year to be a Flame!
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
our big man should be at school on monday june 12.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
By Steve Wieberg, USA TODAY
Four South Florida schools, including now-closed University High in Miami, are among 15 the NCAA has initially targeted in a crackdown on so-called diploma mills that provide prospective college athletes with questionable class credits.
The list released by the NCAA on Wednesday also includes two Philadelphia schools, Celestial Prep and Philadelphia Christian Academy, whose names had surfaced previously in connection with the issue.

The association's action raises questions about the college eligibility of players, most in basketball and football, coming out of those schools and needing a minimum number of credits from core high school courses to satisfy NCAA academic standards. The NCAA says it no longer will count credits from those 15 schools and others it's examining and expects to identify later this month.

USA TODAY called 11 of the schools Wednesday but only received a comment from the Hawaii Electronic School. Director Vicki Kajioka said she would have to talk with her staff members who deal with NCAA issues.

"We would need to pursue that because we are a supplemental program," Kajioka said. "I need to get clarification on that matter."

A recording said the phone for the American Academy in Miami had been disconnected.

Officials were uncertain how many college-bound athletes may be affected by the initial listing, though NCAA vice president Kevin Lennon said it was "probably not a lot." The later list, he said, is expected to include schools with more prominent sports programs.

One player caught in the controversy is former George Washington University basketball star Omar Williams, who's now graduated. He attended three of the schools in question: Celestial Prep, Philadelphia Christian Academy and Lutheran Christian Academy, whose credentials are under review.

Another under review, according to Montgomery, Ala., attorney Don Jackson, is Genesis One Christian Academy in Mendenhall, Miss., where Alabama signee Verice Cloyd starred in basketball.

Jackson said he has been in contact with seven or eight schools that have heard from the NCAA and expects some to be visited by association officials as early as this week.

"Hopefully, they'll be able to provide the information that is needed," he said. "In some instances, we're talking about schools that have been open for 20 or 30 years."

Jackson has threatened legal action if they're ultimately added to the NCAA list of disqualified schools, arguing in part that the NCAA is neither an accrediting agency nor authorized "to make value judgments about curriculum, quality of education or anything of this nature."

Lennon said the association has gotten no response from the 15 schools being named this week, many of which did not respond to the NCAA's request for information. "The bottom line is if there's no teaching, no learning, going on, we feel like we have a really strong case. That's what our legal counsel advised," he said. "You have to be willing to defend what you're doing, and that's what we're prepared to do."

Both schools and affected athletes can appeal the association's ruling. Lennon said separate appeals committees are expected to be filled in the next two weeks.

Contributing: Ty Allushus, USA TODAY

Here is a list of the schools named so far with more to come:

TARGETING 'DIPLOMA MILLS'

The schools no longer approved by the NCAA:

American Academy (Miami)
Celestial Prep (Philadelphia)
Einstein Charter School (Morrisville, Pa.)
Goliath Academy (Miami Lakes, Fla.)
Hawaii Electronic School (Honolulu)
Martinez Adult Education (Martinez, Calif.)
North Atlantic Regional High (Lewiston, Me.)
Paradise Christian Academy (Paradise, Calif.)
Philadelphia Christian Academy (Philadelphia)
Ranch Academy (Canton, Texas)
Rich Township H.S. Phoenix Camp (Park Forest, Ill.)
Sagemount School (Miami)
Tazewell City Career and Tech Center (Tazewell, Va.)
University High School (Miami)
Virginia Beach Central Academy (Virginia Beach, Va.)
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Don't know if you all saw this in my notebook today, but Winters dislocated an ankle during a pick-up game and could be out up to three months.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
i thought i saw something about that in on his myspace. someone left him a message asking him about it.
By WWJFD
Registration Days Posts
That sounds true. He may be out of action for up to 3 months, which puts it at...mid November.
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
WWJFD wrote:That sounds true. He may be out of action for up to 3 months, which puts it at...mid November.

Only 3 Months? Even is he has surgery?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Any update on this from those of you with the team or on campus down there?

hoping for a better prognosis after a few days- maybe when the swelling goes down?
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
A good buddy of mine is the RA of the basketball dorm over here on East Campus and he said it's pretty ugly.

But of course, he isn't a doctor, so who knows.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I imagine he'll be scheduled for MRI/Xrays in the upcoming week? hope things look better for him then.
5 plus 7 model

Process of elimination... Why is ND left with 2 g[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now :[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]