If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:OK,

everyone knows that I am not one of the top 5 pure shooters of all time. I did shoot a much higher percentage than folks that are perceived as good shooters but I digress...As far as "working for Liberty" or being politically correct, I don't really get it. I get roughly 5% of my total income from doing Liberty games on TV. Hardly paying mine or anyone else's bills but I thouroughly enjoy it but if it was taken away from me tomorrow I would live. As far as being politically correct, choosing Dees on a list like this is not politically correct because many don't like Dees anymore because he left school. 3rd point I want to make is I am not the end all, be all of opinions on Liberty basketball. I have just seen and know just about every player since the early 80's so my opinion is valued by many but I welcome opinions contrary to mine. Most don't know who Edwin Miller is but I put him on the list because he could fill it. He didn't have a great career here but he was still a great shooter. For that matter I should have put my boy Reebs on here. He was a tremendous 3 point shooter as well. Without laying out specific criteria and without seeing everyone this is a difficult thread because you may get 30 different answers. Top 5 players based on success and statistics is a little easier to quantify but even then you will get varing answers.
Hey what about that $20 you owe me?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
after I do about 20 more games I should have enough saved up to pay you brokeback :lol: :lol: :lol: . Seriously I hope no one is taking this as me complaining about my opportunity to call TV games because I love it and appreciate the chance. However it is not what drives my opinions on this board or in public. I do have to exercise good judgement when it comes to giving opinions about current players and the program but a thread as subjective as this one? I am gonna say what I feel.
By JReebs
Registration Days Posts
Although my perspective is limited - based on shoot-arounds in the vines, Scar can fill it up!

Anyone remember Mats Persson?? If we're talking spot-up shooters then he certainly fills that role. No #'s to prove it however...

Dees could fill it up as well. Although he has a funny hitch in his release which has nothing to do w/ the ball going in but I have trouble associating the word "pure" w/ such uncomfortable looking mechanics.
By intheknow
scar, call me as soon as u get a chance. Got some news for ya
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
Didn't Edwin Miller play in about 3 games before he broke his jaw? He did have a nice shot but for some reason I always laughed when he played. Don't remember why, he was just kinda fun to watch.
By jvegas14
Registration Days Posts
1. Boykin
2. Edwin
3. Hildo
4. Me
5. David Jeremiah (us two in intramurals - we filled it up!)

Who was that guy that played in the multi-purpose center - a lefty. He would shoot from half court if he was open. Harden? Something like that.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
welcome back JVEGAS (and Ric)

Rodny Harden, subject of inumerable posts over the last several days.
Last edited by PAmedic on April 24th, 2006, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
1. Jay Boykin- Best shooter we've seen and a if not for a few injuries ALOT more people would have known
2. CJ Cowgil- the best and worst all in one motion.....he was sick and I'll never forget him hitting 5-6 from 1 step in from half court in pregame
3. Matt Hildebrand- still in my book a top 5 player of all time (mine is the only one that counts too)
4. David Dees
5. Edwin Miller
Last edited by Hold My Own on April 24th, 2006, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jvegas14
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:welcome back JVEGAS (and Ric)

Rodny Harden, subject of inumerable posts over the last several days.
Yet another reason I should visit more often.

Boykin, IMO, was the best shooter I've ever seen at Liberty. If not for the aforementioned injuries, no telling what place he'd have in LU hoops lore. Edwin too, probably.
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
wait until you guys see Tyler Baker. man, can he stroke it! i cant beleive you left out LB. i herd Dees was a pretty good shooter.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I'll put LB at the top of being a clutch shooter but he hasn't reached a pure shooter status....it's like saying AI is a pure shooter....when really they both are pure scorers
By D Edcil
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:I'll put LB at the top of being a clutch shooter but he hasn't reached a pure shooter status....it's like saying AI is a pure shooter....when really they both are pure scorers
I'll agree with that. That is the classic hoops battle, Shooter v Scorer. There are a few (Bird Jordan maybe Kobe) who can be both, but I agree LB is a tremendous SCORER as is AI, but not great "Shooters" Now THAT might be a great thread somewhere else: Great Shooters Great Scorers!
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
reeb was quite the shooter while he was here....it seemed as if every time he came in he would hit a three. That is a good walk-on player
By JReebs
Registration Days Posts
haha - I think you meant that I put one (sometimes 2 or 3) up every time I got in the game... you miss 100% of the shots you don't take right??!

JVegas - located in jville?? Who are you?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
JReebs, I will tell you who Vegas is provided he wants to be identified but I will do it in private.... Blair is a career 40% shooter from the field and about 34 from 3. I would say you have to shoot 37% or higher to be considered a great 3 point shooter. My list includes guys that were in the 40% for a career or for a season. That is why I mentioned my % but again, not considering myself a pure shooter you have to at least shoot a better % than me to be on a list :wink: Who is intheknow and what is your number? I will gladly call you. Is this the same intheknow that caused the controversy or is this a person who is in the midst of knowledge? That is why we encourage registration guys....BTW Edwin Miller is a highly successful business man now. He may be one of the most successful Liberty grads ever and that includes all the pro athletes! He lived in the gated community in my old neighborhood back in Northern VA (I was on the outside of the gate btw!). Vegas, great to see you on the board (and on the list :wink: )
By intheknow
WHo!! these 2 .........:lol: :lol: :?: I had to work for that one
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Ok so we are reviving the who game? I thought Cyberspace was a no fly zone. Man that game got crazy back in the day. I will strike back :lol: :lol:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Im surprised nobody mentions Ryan Mantlo or Gabe Martin (and gabe was one of the top free throw shooters in the nation in the 03-04 championship year I believe)
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Mantlo was a great shooter in Juco but not in a Liberty uniform. Gabe was a decent stand still shooter and shot a good percentage but again, you have to shoot a better percentage than me at least to be considered a top 5 guy. (Did someone say 5 Guys? mmmmmm 5 Guys burgers). If I recall Gabe shot somewhere around 35% from 3 and Mantlo was actually in the 20's. Both very good players mind you but we are talking about pure shooting.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Im surprised nobody mentions Ryan Mantlo or Gabe Martin (and gabe was one of the top free throw shooters in the nation in the 03-04 championship year I believe)
Ryan Mantlo wasn't the best shooter from the 03-04 season. He was more a spark on the defensive end. His first season he was the shooter on the team and shot a decent percentage from the perimeter. Martin was the better shooter both seasons.
By letitride
Scar, I had to use an alliace in my desperate attempt in the "who" game. A Birdie 8) told me that the alias I used has a bad reputation on this board. I have no ties to the previous poster using that alias. Although it is possible that I share some of the same views :wink: Anyway I am waiting for BT to wreak havoc on this board!! It coming soon!!
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
good to know letitride, I was getting worried

as far as Mantlo goes, if this was a hustle list there would be none that would top him....honestly he'll go down as one of my favorite flames of all time....he played the game like it should be played......and there's even talks of him coming back to LU for a job.....just talks at this point, but we'll see....I'd love to see him come back here, if he puts half the passion in work as he did playing then it would be great for both parties
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I don't have the stats but I recall Mantlo's shooting so much better in his first season here. I thought of him as a shooter that year. His Sr. year he seemed more like an extra ball handler and a defensive stopper. Didn't shoot nearly as well.
By 47/5-2
1. boykin(plus his dad was a train engineer)
2. larry jackson(i don't know the %'s but NOBODY, had a sweeter looking shot then jackson. i can't believe scar dissed him on his list.)
3. hildebrand
4. dees
5. caldwell(i never understood why guys never would compliment chris's game.)
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
i've only been in the program for a year so you guys have more knowledge on the old guys. but what i do have over you all is the ability to see tyler baker on a regular basis. look at for him. im sure we will be writing about in the future. maybe BJ jenkins and larry franklin also. maybe...
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Wow, that's kind of wild.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]