If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Looking forward to listening to this one. I expect us to match up pretty well. Maybe we can open a few eyes and get some of the students excited from the jump this season. It would be nice to see the Vines become the FURNACE again like in the 90's.
It sounds like we will still have issues with rebounding. McGhee looks like he's a force on the defensive side of the ball as well.

Also if we can't get the students and alumni out for Tech then we're in trouble. 2/3 Hokies according to the AoS guys.
Last edited by ballah09 on November 4th, 2018, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I understand why this isn't televised but I sure wish it was. Seems to be a pretty competitive game for being just a scrimmage.

I hope this gives LU students/fans a reason to return and support this team (and convert a few local tech fans to at least come out and catch a few more games). They deserve it and are in a much better spot than our football program.
45-40 at the 1st media timeout. Rebounding and scoring droughts still an issue. Sounds like we are getting good looks though.
Rebounding is about want to. It is not like VA Tech is that much bigger than us. Hopefully, this is a wake up call. I really expected a little more from us.
58-53 VT
Cabbil has starting to pick it up. Gumbs knocked down a shot. Only 38 % shooting for LU but getting better.
70-61 Last media timeout.

This game will give us plenty to work on. Cabbil, Georgie, and Darius a combined 3 for 17 from the field...
86-70 VT FINAL

Some things to work on:

Rebounding: 39-18
VT shot 57% from the floor. So much for our D. UGH.
Guard play. Surprising since this is normally a strength.

I think we will win a few of these big out of conference games. Last year we struggled to shoot in the Vines and I think that was a factor again.
In first 10 minutes of 2nd half, I believe we scored 5 points. Except for 2nd half shooting drought, I thought we looked ok.

It took basketball team until 6:22 remaining, to give up as many points as football yesterday. Good crowd. Probably biggest we will have this season, very few students
ballcoach15 wrote:In first 10 minutes of 2nd half, I believe we scored 5 points. Except for 2nd half shooting drought, I thought we looked ok.

It took basketball team until 6:22 remaining, to give up as many points as football yesterday. Good crowd. Probably biggest we will have this season, very few students
Students had to pay to get in. Havin 1 less bathroom, 1 less concession stand, the construction around the Vines and the parking issues is going to a problem for the next 2 years. There was a mile long line for THE concession stand and there were probably only @ 4K at game, at least 1/2 VT fans.
Last edited by Chippy on November 4th, 2018, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chippy wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:In first 10 minutes of 2nd half, I believe we scored 5 points. Except for 2nd half shooting drought, I thought we looked ok.

Students had to pay to get in.
Donate :idea: Made over $37,000 for hurricane relief in Florida. Good job!
Nice atmosphere. Think both teams held a little in reserve. Rebounding is odd since we were very similar size wise. There were a couple where we didnt box well and a couple bad rolls but again where we vacate to set up d we get very little on offensive glass.

Tech is solid but i dont think they are top 25 without clarke. Robinson is legit, he could easily be 1st team all acc.

Mcghee and gumbs are legit on both ends. I think they along with a healthy homesley with help us several ways. For one they both can creat their own shot and they are both super active on d. Mcghee, man hes as advertised. His shot was off a but but he is anything but a spot shooter. He had fluid motion off screens and nice fadeaways over taller players. They will fall. He has too good of touch and form not too. He and cuffee will really push cabbil and ortiz for time. If either isnt playing well they are going to see a lot more time on the bench.

Thought myo looked really good and confident too. Scottie didnt have his best game but he will be a force.

We were 9 deep and no newton or preston at all.

Think mcdowell will have to shoot well to see a lot of minutes.

Top 8 are going to see the bulk of minutes it would appear unless the matchup calls otherwise.

We got a ton of open 3s to start second half but started cold for first 6 to 7 min and dug a hole we couldnt get out of.

All in all, most talent ive seen since ive followed the program since 03. Also love the class we have coming in.
First Liberty Basketball game for me...my daughter is going to LU next fall so we’ve been on campus quite a bit this Fall.. We really enjoyed the game (didn’t have to get any concession but it sounds like a mess. Liked what I did see of the team enough to get season tickets. So I’m all in on this season!
Two newcomers saw a lot of playing time--Keenan Gumbs (grad transfer) and Darius McGhee (freshman)--but I don't think our other 3 freshmen ever got into the game: Newton, Price, and Preston.
jinxy wrote:Nice atmosphere. Think both teams held a little in reserve. Rebounding is odd since we were very similar size wise. There were a couple where we didnt box well and a couple bad rolls but again where we vacate to set up d we get very little on offensive glass.

Tech is solid but i dont think they are top 25 without clarke. Robinson is legit, he could easily be 1st team all acc.

Mcghee and gumbs are legit on both ends. I think they along with a healthy homesley with help us several ways. For one they both can creat their own shot and they are both super active on d. Mcghee, man hes as advertised. His shot was off a but but he is anything but a spot shooter. He had fluid motion off screens and nice fadeaways over taller players. They will fall. He has too good of touch and form not too. He and cuffee will really push cabbil and ortiz for time. If either isnt playing well they are going to see a lot more time on the bench.

Thought myo looked really good and confident too. Scottie didnt have his best game but he will be a force.

We were 9 deep and no newton or preston at all.

Think mcdowell will have to shoot well to see a lot of minutes.

Top 8 are going to see the bulk of minutes it would appear unless the matchup calls otherwise.

We got a ton of open 3s to start second half but started cold for first 6 to 7 min and dug a hole we couldnt get out of.

All in all, most talent ive seen since ive followed the program since 03. Also love the class we have coming in.
I'll add we shot well from the FT line. Almost 90%.
I have a question for the basketball gurus:

Why do many, if not most teams fail to "crash offensive boards" ? They just release back on defense once shot is in the air. I noticed yesterday, when we shot ball, everyone other than shooter, were across mid court when ball hit rim or went thru net. On one shot, all 5 players were at mid court when ball hit rim.
Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now […]

5 plus 7 model

I wouldn't build this up and get your hopes up tha[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]