If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I'm in class and not taking notes.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:I'm in class and not taking notes.
and you are sitting right behind me :P
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Blair may be the best to ever put on an LU Uniform. Ironically his teammate David Dees had the chance to have that said about him but we will never know. I am a huge Gabe Martin fan though but Gabe was limited in certain aspects of his game. LB is more of a complete player than Alston was even though Alston was vitually unstoppable at times. And his 50% plus shooting percentage for a career trumps LB. For that matter so does my 48%. Ok I am better than Blair :lol: :lol:. Seriously though, As much as I liked Dees/Blair, Aluma/Jackson, Nwoso/Hildebrand and even Alston/Scarborough, the Killer Bees of Brewington and Blair may just be the best combo yet. We will find out soon enough.
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
Scar, I can't believe you... so next year when Blair is not on the team who then will be the best player to ever put on a uniform... Jackson told me recently and I agree totally, take Aluma and Juice out of the equation, 'Marcus White is the best guard to ever play in the Big South." He will not have the stats that Blair has obviously, but White could play point at the highest level... Blair would have a tough time playing 2 guard in the ACC or Big 12.... Brewington may be that guy after this season, avg. 14 in the Big East we know he has proven himself.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
I'm sure Blair would start for most major conference DI teams. That includes ACC, Big East and SEC. There would be a few teams he probably would not start for.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I don't know about start. He'd start for a lot of teams. Some teams already have a 2 gaurd who's better (obviously because if there wasn't, he'd be the best in the country). But he'd definately be a solid contributor on any team in the country. He can most definately compete in the ACC or Big East and he's shown it.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Yea, I don't have my preview mag in front of me but I'm sure he would start for many of the teams in the larger conf. especially the middle to lower of the pack teams.
By mrich
Registration Days Posts
Wouldn't it great to have David Dees this year!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Killenem, I know having a big man can change things but it can also make your job easier. You could argue that having Juice or Aluma actually made Jackson or Hildo's job easier. I don't know what the right answer is, but I do know that LB is one of the best especially if he gets to 2000. That is just a major milestone. I think Marco was a major player and could probably start anywhere in the country. LB being 6-0 would pre-clude him from starting at the 2 for a lot of majors but no doubt both of them are major players. Jackson and Caldwell were major players too. Liberty has attracted and will continue to attract major players that could play at a higher level especially at the guard position. I stand by what I said about Blair. I am slowly coming around to thinking he may be the best before it is all done. That said, he will have to have a great year this season. Also Alston getting it done in only 3 years is still very, very impressive even though he had his shortcomings to his game (no defensive effort). The thing was, I think Alston would have been one of the best defenders too if he had worked at his entire game. Gotta give LB the nod over Jackson simply because LJ couldn't make a layup :P. LB has serious hops too which LJ did not. Jason Allison was a better dunker than LJ. :wink:
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
You didn't understand me I am not talking about someones job being easier with or without a big man... Aluma or Juice are the 2 best players to ever put on a Liberty jersey, end of discussion.... I was arguing from the guard or wing position White is the most natural born talented player ever all-around... If Dees stayed at Liberty Blair doesn't even get close to 2000 points because he would have a had a another player with him and therefore we wouldn't be discussing him being the best player.... And don't ever mention Caldwell in the same breath as White or Blair or Jackson.

Kel, Blair wouldn't start at UVA, Va. Tech, Maryland, NC State... Why did TJ leave UVA cause he wasn't getting any playing time behind Singletary and Reynolds...
By 47 / 5-2
Registration Days
first of all, blair would start at ALL but 20 to 25 schools in the country. if you want me to break it down school by school i will.
second of all, another person knocking chris's game? i just don't get it(and no i'm not his brother). if marcus had his work ethic and if l.j. had his assertiveness we would have gone to the tourney 95-96, 96-97 & 97-98. all the guy did was improve & produce while he was at liberty.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Amen. No dissing formerplayer.
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
Please break it down for me 47 5 foot 2 or whatever your name is.... how many games did Caldwell win compared to Jackson or White --- I am not dissing but he couldn't hold there jock.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Killn'emsoftly wrote:how many games did Caldwell win compared to Jackson or White --- I am not dissing but he couldn't hold there jock.
Oh look, we're judging based on wins. How conveniant for you.
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
Judge them on straight up playing... it doesn't matter how you judge them White and Jackson are big time as anybody in LU history go ask Coach D, Terry Falwell, Scar, Paul Nazigan, or anybody that has some basketball sense. Coach D could have left LU in 96 and took a job with Auburn as an assistant because Cliff Ellis was so impressed with Aluma, White, and Jackson. Plus the more wins solidifies my point.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
While I agree that White and Jackson were big time and we won a lot of games and played close to big named teams because of those guys, I think it is unfair to judge Chris Caldwell on what happened during the Hankinson Error. I think Chris is in the same conversation as those guys but I agree that White was extraordinary and Jackson was the Truth. Woodson was not as talented as White but just as affective running the team because of his ball handling and passing. I have a lot of respect for Caldwell and what he did in perhaps the worst 4 year stretch in LU Hoops history.
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
Killn'emsoftly wrote:Judge them on straight up playing... it doesn't matter how you judge them White and Jackson are big time as anybody in LU history go ask Coach D, Terry Falwell, Scar, Paul Nazigan, or anybody that has some basketball sense. Coach D could have left LU in 96 and took a job with Auburn as an assistant because Cliff Ellis was so impressed with Aluma, White, and Jackson. Plus the more wins solidifies my point.
Scar Still has basketball sense?! hahaha just kidding man
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
yes I still have sense. No skills left but still have sense :wink:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Its unfair to compare GOAT and formerplayer because they were in completely different scenarios. I'm big fans of what both guys did on the floor. The fact they are both Texans only further solidifies the matter (that's for you PA boys) . :P
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
thanks- don't think it wasn't appreciated :roll: :D
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I know I never saw guys like Aluma or Jackson or White play (heck I was in the 6th grade when the Aluma team went to the NCAA tournament), and Caldwell I think was gone by the time I started going to Mens Basketball games regularly (2003 the second half of my freshman year. He may have still been on the team at that point I forget), but I have had the privilege of knowing Larry Blair the last 3 years he was at LU. Ive also seen a lot of basketball in my life. Larry is probably one of the best players I have seen. He knows what needs to be done and he does it. I he isn't all flash and dash like many guys Ive seen. He isn't one dimensional like many of the guys Ive seen play at LU, and he also happens to be a real class act off the court. He has often found me by the side of the road on campus and given me rides where I needed to go, But getting to his basketball skills (which I guess is the point of this conversation not wins or some such thing) I am of the opinion that his shot making ability is very much akin to a Dwyane Wade or a Michael Jordan. Im not saying he is on the same level as them overall but his ability to create shots for himself often reminded me of those two. Larry is and has been a very special player and he is going to bring experience, natural ability, leadership and fire to this years team.
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
Since this is LB's thread he is a very good player, I give him props. Sly Fox- Scar started the debate by throwing Caldwell's name into the debate, the best player from Texas in a LU uniform is White. End of discussion...

You guys will never win the debate with these young guns vs. my era... if it wasn't for the mid-90 teams... (Ex. beat Va. Tech in 92, NCAA tourney in '94, Big South Tournament runner-up '96 & '97, beat VCU in '95 by 15, co-Big South Regular season champ '97, and beat UVA '98, 23 wins in '97, 18 wins in '96... no worse than 4th place finish in the Big South in 3 0r 4 straight seasons, and last but not least AVERAGED 7000 TO 8500 EVEERY HAOME GAME FOR 2 OR 3 STRAIGHT YEARS -- you gotta have great players to accomplish all that) Liberty wouldn't have any sort of tradition that it currently has.

NCAA D-1 ball is not as tough as it was 10 years ago, (currently 336 D-1 teams ten years ago 305 teams) more watered down players in today's college game.

Scar did I miss anything? :wink:

End of debate.

BEAT BARTON!
By stoppinby
Registration Days Posts
Guys

I cant tell u who the best to ever play at LU were but I can tell u who the best to never play at LU were!!!!!
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
cool. thanks for stopping by
By stoppinby
Registration Days Posts
LJ, Marco,LB, Hildo, Aluma, Nwoso are all legitimate arguments but ur guys are forgetting someone who would get my vote!!!!!!!!
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]