If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Dr. Sheh wrote:For what it's worth, saw this kid at the LU game vs Radford. After playing against him during the High School BBall season, his offensive game is virtually non-existent. He does not play aggressively either, but he'll have plenty of time to work on that since he just wrapped up his freshman campaign.
Can't say it surprises me. He's still growing into his body and feels awkward in every day life (its tough buying clothes if you're 6'5, I can't imagine being 7'2" and caring about what your peers think). Add to that the level he plays at and I'm sure he gets penalized a lot for being tall, so the more 'aggressive' he gets the more fouls he racks up. As far as an offensive game, again that might go back to the level he's playing at. Teaching good post play, let alone to a lanky 7'2" kid is a lost art. But on the other hand Dikembe Mutumbo had a great career and couldn't throw it in the ocean. Being a defensive presence can get you pretty far.
Haven't seen him play, but would love to. Would love to work with him as well, but I'm sure he already has his Posse' HA. I still think this is the type of kid you take a chance on as a project. If he doesn't pan out, it's no different than taking a flyer on a 6'6" kid and missing. But the 'upside' (pardon the pun) would be huge.
Purple Haize wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Looks like he could stand to hit the gym. Hopefully he gets a chance to bulk up in the next couple years
He was in 7th grade when that picture was taken. You want him to slam some HGH or something? Geez.
He needs to add on muscle. even at 7-2 he would get manhandled by a lot of post players if he is still that skinny as a freshman in college
Means there is time to get some muscle on his frame. That way he can hang and bang with bigs on the block on defense but also be able to really become a force offensively as he gets his game developed. It would be amazing what he could do with a little muscle and a drop or power step and a jumper
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:
He needs to add on muscle. even at 7-2 he would get manhandled by a lot of post players if he is still that skinny as a freshman in college
9th grade
Duquesne offered TJ McConnell a scholarship in 8th grade. He was @ 5'3" at the time. He was FOY in A10 and is now starting point guard for Arizona after transferring (see Seth Curry) Play Basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Why do we keep saying the kid is 7´2¨. when he isn´t? Yes, being as young as he is he may be that tall by the time he makes it to college, but there is no guarantee he will grow another inch, let alone 3 inches. As it is now, he´s maybe an inch taller than the Maxwell kid everyone seems to want to rip us for signing this fall.
olldflame wrote:Why do we keep saying the kid is 7´2¨. when he isn´t? Yes, being as young as he is he may be that tall by the time he makes it to college, but there is no guarantee he will grow another inch, let alone 3 inches. As it is now, he´s maybe an inch taller than the Maxwell kid everyone seems to want to rip us for signing this fall.
The post says 7'2". That's what I'm basing it on.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
SumItUp wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:
9th grade
Duquesne offered TJ McConnell a scholarship in 8th grade. He was @ 5'3" at the time. He was FOY in A10 and is now starting point guard for Arizona after transferring (see Seth Curry) Play Basketball
I understand. My point was that most tall kids that are in 9th grade need to beef up a little.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Coach Hicks over at Cave Spring has tried to get his teeth into Brendan and have him transfer to Cave Spring. He is not 7'2", I would say 6'11''. I agree that all big men need development, but he needs more than that.

This post is what I based that on Purple. It certainly sounds like RI has actually seen the kid. The OP says he is 7´2¨ but then links to a Maxpreps profile that has him at 6´9¨as an 8th grader.
olldflame wrote:
R i wrote:Coach Hicks over at Cave Spring has tried to get his teeth into Brendan and have him transfer to Cave Spring. He is not 7'2", I would say 6'11''. I agree that all big men need development, but he needs more than that.

This post is what I based that on Purple. It certainly sounds like RI has actually seen the kid. The OP says he is 7´2¨ but then links to a Maxpreps profile that has him at 6´9¨as an 8th grader.
Gotcha. I'll take 6'11" and give him an inch or 2 the rest of his career, he could easily project 7'0"-7'1"
Still like to see the kid
at 7-0 he definitely is gonna want to add some muscle if he wants to bump and bang down low even if he does end up at Cave Spring. If he can really develop some good moves around the basket and a nice touch from 6-9 feet out, he definitely could be someone to watch out in the next season or two
BJ. There are just as many lanky 7's as there are bulky ones. Kareem and David Robinson come to mind. Sure Shaquille is what people think of but he was a freak of nature like Wilt. I can probably name more lanky 7's then I can bulky ones.
I didn't say he had to be bulky PH...just he needed to add some muscle. if he is a beanpole, he is going to be absolutely blown off the block by even marginal size post players. What made Kareem and the Admiral as good as they are as skinnier posts is they had excellent moves around the basket. Kareem's sky hook was a thing of beauty to watch on the ESPN Classic broadcasts of Lakers and even Bucks games. He doesn't have (based on the limited information I have to work with) that level of polish and prowess to his game, and add to that the fact that he is going to be dealing with players that are heavier (I would guess) than in the 1980s and 70s when Jabbar and Robinson were playing college ball
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I watched Brendan play several times this year. Hes not good. He is only in 9th grade so theres time for improvement. Hes 6'11 at most. I was really confused by how his HS team used him this year. He never gets touches on the block, he is a high post. He would have a hard time playing for Roanoke College at this point.
By Dr. Sheh
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:I watched Brendan play several times this year. Hes not good. He is only in 9th grade so theres time for improvement. Hes 6'11 at most. I was really confused by how his HS team used him this year. He never gets touches on the block, he is a high post. He would have a hard time playing for Roanoke College at this point.
Yeah, I did not get why in the world they put him in the high post. He played almost exclusively there, especially since the next tallest player in the VACA that I saw was 6'4", 6'5" tops. With the competition he plays against you would think he would start to dominate at this level moving forward, hopefully he grows into his body.

Maybe I can convince him to come to NCS and work my magic with him Play Basketball
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:I watched Brendan play several times this year. Hes not good. He is only in 9th grade so theres time for improvement. Hes 6'11 at most. I was really confused by how his HS team used him this year. He never gets touches on the block, he is a high post. He would have a hard time playing for Roanoke College at this point.
He's a 6'11" freshmen. Not too many of those around so its understandable if he looks bad. He's probably got two or three more inches left I would gather.
As for playing High Post I can see reasons for that but not having seen him play I can't really speculate. I'd LIKE to see him play so maybe next year
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Offer came a while back. He has a couple other legit mid majors in hard on him. We have a good shot at him. Lot of strong family ties. Hes improved a lot just since the season.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I got to watch him play with a few of the guys on the current LU team a few weeks ago. 1st of all he is EVERY BIT 7'2" tall. He was blocking every shot that came in there but James Johnson plays like a grown man and was taking it to him physically. Johnson called foul 4 or 5 straight possessions and the guys on the sideline were teasing him about it in good fun. Brendan definitely needs to gain some weight but he has solid basketball skills already. Obviously he is still raw but you can see he has potential.

Disclaimer: The above assessment was based on about 10 minutes of "open gym" hoops.
SCAR wrote:I got to watch him play with a few of the guys on the current LU team a few weeks ago. 1st of all he is EVERY BIT 7'2" tall. He was blocking every shot that came in there but James Johnson plays like a grown man and was taking it to him physically. Johnson called foul 4 or 5 straight possessions and the guys on the sideline were teasing him about it in good fun. Brendan definitely needs to gain some weight but he has solid basketball skills already. Obviously he is still raw but you can see he has potential.

Disclaimer: The above assessment was based on about 10 minutes of "open gym" hoops.
at 7'2", he should be blocking everything that came in there against a Big South team if he even only has an "average" vertical for a guy of his size. My educated guess is that a 7'2" basketball player, at worst, only has to jump a few inches to touch the rim.
Election 2022 and 2024

All of this is why I just can’t believe […]

Prayers please

Apparently there's someone that's looking at it to[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazetten[…]

2025 Recruiting Discussion

It's good to see us bringing in some quality recru[…]