If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I like to look at it from the opposite side of things, Scar. Last year, we had one guy who could score. ONE. Hubbard and Smitty would post a game here or there where they provided options but this year, we have several guys that can contribute. That for me is the biggest change.

We're from two different schools of thought, we can agree to disagree. :)
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I agree with you that we should have more than 1 scoring option and certainly no one man show can win. But do you think the Bulls would have been as good if they had 4 guys just as good as Jordan that were all guards? 2 or even 3 of them would have been wasted and if they were as competitive as Jordan they would have been a detriment to the team. Not saying your observations are wrong about our team. In fact they are dead on. All I am saying is you need balance. If you have 8 guys playing a position and they are all really really good, a lot of those guys are gonna be unhappy and with as short a career as college hoops is, you may lose some of those guys. Why do you think TJ Banister is at Liberty. He was told that he would play but there were no guarantees that he would get the minutes he needed to showcase his talents. Therefore he left UVA. He was going to play but they have a lot of perimeter players that they believe in up there. They believed in TJ too but at some point you can't play all of those guys a whole lot. As a season moves on you have to start to cut someone's time and shorten your rotation. I guess when you have a season like we had last year, having too many good players is a good thing. I'm not even really talking about Liberty, just coaching and playing in general.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:1st and foremost, I AM NOT BALD!!!!
:? :roll:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
And I'm not fat.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Ok, you guys are forcing my hand here. I will have Allen Iverson Braids by homecoming in the next 2 weeks! :lol:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:Ok, you guys are forcing my hand here. I will have Allen Iverson Braids by homecoming in the next 2 weeks! :lol:
good lawd there's a visual.

I'm thinking you haven't mentioned this fantastic idea to MrsSCAR
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Or my Barber :lol:
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:Ok, you guys are forcing my hand here. I will have Allen Iverson Braids by homecoming in the next 2 weeks! :lol:
i will believe it when i see it baldy :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:I like to look at it from the opposite side of things, Scar. Last year, we had one guy who could score. ONE. Hubbard and Smitty would post a game here or there where they provided options but this year, we have several guys that can contribute. That for me is the biggest change.

We're from two different schools of thought, we can agree to disagree. :)
Two points. One, we didn't have any chemistry, the key component mentioned by his BALDSCARness. Also, are we now going to have different options from different areas on the floor? While the PISTON's of the 80's were a great team with Isaih, Dumars and my man Lambeer on the perimeter (with Vinnie off the bench) they ran their first 3 or 4 plays of the game and first play of every other quarter to BUDDHA Edwards. He would get his 8 - 10 points and there you go, they have to respect the post game. Add to that the chemistry and you have a good team.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Trying to hold down my dinner after memories of the Pistons' offense in the Bad Boys days. Defense won their championships ... not their offensive post play from Laimbeer or Buddha.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yes their defense was the "new wave" of NBA basketball, and a key component for their championships. Pat Riley's Knicks took that defensive stragegy to its hideous conclusion and fortunately didn't win a title!! But the point is the same. If Laimbeer and James Edwards showed up at an open gym, no one would be too impressed. BUT Laimbeer won an NBA rebounding title and they both have 2 rings (Bill now has 4) Offensively, they had options, Thomas, Dumars, Johnson, Aguirre(although Dantely was THE MAN and never should have been traded) Defensively they had stoppers (Rodman, Salley, Laimbeer) They did have great chemistry and understood what each player was supposed to do. THAT is what makes a team a champion, not having a loaded roster. I am not sure AFROSCAR would agree or not, but I would take a roster of less talented players who know their roles and execute then a roster of all-stars who are high maintenance. (Exhibit 1: TEAM USA)
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I agree with the cohesiveness vs talent scenerio assuming the talent and athleticism on the other team is not so overwhelming that it doesn't matter. Like if the Fab 5 was playing Princeton they would probably win the game due to their talent and athleticism but Princeton would make it a game because they would work smart and together. In short, you need Chemistry in hoops and you need role players. Going out and getting the top 10 players in the country regardless of position and chemistry would not work.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Scar, I agree with your points on having a team that is very cohesive is better than having a team full of talented guys that aren't cohesive. But, a blanket statement like "going out and getting the top 10 players in the country regardless of position and chemistry would not work" is not accurate I don't think. It depends on who those top 10 players are. If they were all able to get along, and didn't mind not being "the one" go-to-guy, but would rather win; then, it would work. Now, in this day and age it is very unlikely to have the top 10 players with that type of attitude, but you never know.

I think it is very realistic to think that at LU's level they could have the ten most talented players in the BIg South, and them to all be happy as contributors.

I agree that in general it is better to have 3 or 4 great players with 3 or 4 more solid role players.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:I agree with the cohesiveness vs talent scenerio assuming the talent and athleticism on the other team is not so overwhelming that it doesn't matter. Like if the Fab 5 was playing Princeton they would probably win the game due to their talent and athleticism but Princeton would make it a game because they would work smart and together. In short, you need Chemistry in hoops and you need role players. Going out and getting the top 10 players in the country regardless of position and chemistry would not work.
Yes but could the fab 5 of that day have beaten the Princeton of that day?????
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Wow, that's kind of wild.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]