If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Isn't that consensus now? That he did the right thing?
I think by pretty much everybody but me
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
BREAKING NEWS FROM FLAMESNATION...

"First we went to the basement and tweeted Seth Curry. Then he responded. His response is below:

#EnjoyDayton

For those of you that can't understand the twitter, what Seth said to us was, "Enjoy Dayton".

#gladtheyspeakthetwitterlingo
:D
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Whatever...I normally just find out stuff on here. I did read one of the realignment articles on Flamesnation and thought it was well done.

I just think the whole, "LOOK...SETH RESPONDED TO OUR TWEET" article was silly and in bad taste...I actually think Seth was trying to be polite in his response, then you guys go and put it up on your site like he did something mean.

That's just my take on it.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
Nothing at all wrong with Curry's response.

Nothing at all wrong with Curry leaving a bottom of the ladder basketball program for the chance to play for one of the best programs in the country under one of the best coaches of all time. He would have been stupid not to go if he thought he was good enough to play there.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
We believe we have the opportunity to be great. We know that we aren't there yet though. It's taken Gonzaga 14 years from their Cinderella run to being a #1 seed. These things take time. Seth didn't want to be part of the first 14 years.
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:How will we ever expect big time recruits to find our school worthy if we ourselves don't believe it is? Honest question.
That's not what I'm saying, but one 18 year old thinking he should transfer isn't something I'm going to get all worked up over. Curry could have been successful at Lib in similar fashion to his brother, he chose to leave he was 18 I'm over it. Still would love to get them in the tourney though.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
To me Curry doesn't look as bad as Gordon and Mckay do. Mckay had no plan for the program other than to piggy back Seth. It's also ludicrous to say that Seth's transfer didn't set the program back. It should not still be an excuse this year but we def. scheduled up for the following year and left a gaping hole in recruiting after we gave him the keys to the car and told him to jack it up 25 times a game at all costs. I dont dislike Seth for leaving, I dislike him because he tries so hard to have gangsta in him and he just doesn't. That whole family just comes across as a classy family and he was a good kid when he was at LU and all of the sudden it was like he had to harden up to prove he belonged at Duke (IMHO) which is silly anyway because Duke isn't that kind of school nor program

It's also insane to think that we woudln't have built a solid program around him had he stayed but he didn't so I for one am glad this is the last year we have to keep bringing him and Ritchie back up.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't think anybody thinks Seth did things the right way, but he did make the choice that will end up benefiting him in the long term.

RM is the classless one in that whole situation. He is the man that set this program back, not Seth Curry
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I may have to enact a Mel Hankinson rule.....
Good idea, but wait 45 days to implement it. It may not be necessary.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Hard to address everything said on here but let me hit some of them:

Ritchie McKay had a good plan and Liberty would have thrived had he stayed. He wasn't riding Curry's status like Jinxy said. The truth is that Ritchie was one of the only division 1 coaches in the country to believe in the kid and give him a scholarship.

Seth leaving was the right decision for his college career. How can anyone see it differently. If he had transferred from Winthrop to Duke you guys would all be saying it was great. That recruiting class was really good with Floyd, Austin Smith, Sanders, Curry. Hard to predict success but I know Ritchie had it going in the right direction quickly. Ritchie struggled with his decision and in my opinion did what he thought was right but it wasn't a clear choice to leave and I know he had some regrets.

Curry would have had eye popping numbers in the Big South and would have probably gotten drafted from Liberty had he stayed based on his numbers alone. Jason Conley from VMI is a prime example of transferring up and losing stock. I think Seth's stock is still high at Duke but at best he is going to be a second round pick. Maybe he goes 1st round if he stays, maybe not. Point is the Curry's did what they felt is best for Seth.

As for the Tweet, I'm good with what Seth said and I'm good with Flames_Nation. They are trying to draw traffic to their site which is perfectly fine. It was a good marketing move IMO. Seth's response was perfect Seth Curry. I expected no less. He believes in himself like few I have seen. I thought it was an amusing exchange.

Ok I'm going to bed now.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There are many coaches who are weak when it comes to ethics. Bailing on a team when a star player leaves is an example.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Some call it a business, I am of the old school.

"It's still a sport"

The business types are what's hurting college sports. I will stand my ground and never call it a business.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Some call it a business, I am of the old school.

"It's still a sport"

The business types are what's hurting college sports. I will stand my ground and never call it a business.
But... uh you need money to facilitate sports... it's not a charity.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:But... uh you need money to facilitate sports... it's not a charity.
Unless you play for a public institution of higher education. Then it is, in fact, sometimes a charity.
By Blessed1
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:To me Curry doesn't look as bad as Gordon and Mckay do. Mckay had no plan for the program other than to piggy back Seth. It's also ludicrous to say that Seth's transfer didn't set the program back. It should not still be an excuse this year but we def. scheduled up for the following year and left a gaping hole in recruiting after we gave him the keys to the car and told him to jack it up 25 times a game at all costs. I dont dislike Seth for leaving, I dislike him because he tries so hard to have gangsta in him and he just doesn't. That whole family just comes across as a classy family and he was a good kid when he was at LU and all of the sudden it was like he had to harden up to prove he belonged at Duke (IMHO) which is silly anyway because Duke isn't that kind of school nor program

It's also insane to think that we woudln't have built a solid program around him had he stayed but he didn't so I for one am glad this is the last year we have to keep bringing him and Ritchie back up.
Those Duke kids are as soft as the Charmins I have in my bathroom. They probably wouldn't be able to squash a grape in a food fight. :lol:
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:
jbock13 wrote:But... uh you need money to facilitate sports... it's not a charity.
Unless you play for a public institution of higher education. Then it is, in fact, sometimes a charity.
Fair point.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I can't go into everything....but I can tell you that Seth made the right move. The opportunity to play in the best conference, win a national championship and play for the best Coach. Shame on him if he didn't take that opportunity. As far as Coach McKay.... his relationship with Tony Bennett has always been very strong and I can tell you that NOT having to be the H.C is something that he is enjoying. Being the main guy can get old after a while and not having all the pressure on you is much more enjoyable. I had this exact conversation with him before the UNC game a few weeks ago.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote:I can't go into everything....but I can tell you that Seth made the right move. The opportunity to play in the best conference, win a national championship and play for the best Coach. Shame on him if he didn't take that opportunity. As far as Coach McKay.... his relationship with Tony Bennett has always been very strong and I can tell you that NOT having to be the H.C is something that he is enjoying. Being the main guy can get old after a while and not having all the pressure on you is much more enjoyable. I had this exact conversation with him before the UNC game a few weeks ago.
Totally agree on Seth. As far as McKay is concerned, there is no doubt his friendship with Bennett was the key factor in his leaving LU. He may be enjoying the reduced pressure of being an assistant, but apparantly not enough to keep him from pursuing the ODU job!
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:I'm glad we're all in agreement that the end justified the means.
I'd say the opportunity justified the means. The end wasn't guaranteed.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
How is an opportunity justification for anything? We're basically having a GNED class here and almost all of you are failing.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Wow, that's kind of wild.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]