If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:You are one of the few who see RD going in the wrong direction.
I can point to a couple thousand students who see him going in the wrong direction.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
ok then. I take that part back. I'm not with the students anymore so I don't know. But the students think a lot of things that are stupid so I take that with a grain of salt.
By pbow
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
LUconn wrote:You are one of the few who see RD going in the wrong direction.
I can point to a couple thousand students who see him going in the wrong direction.
Seriously, I think there are more people on this board that like Dunton than there are in the entire student body. Dunton's a nice guy and a great recruiter...i just don't think he's a D1 basktball coach.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Most of the students don't agree with one of the things in your "nice guy and good recruiter" comment.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
exactly. This is just my opinion and I have nothing to back this up, but I think a lot of people don't like him because he seems abrasive and that affects how people view him as a coach. But really none of this matters. It's all how 2 guys think he's doing. JF and JB.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:exactly. This is just my opinion and I have nothing to back this up, but I think a lot of people don't like him because he seems abrasive and that affects how people view him as a coach. But really none of this matters. It's all how 2 guys think he's doing. JF and JB.
Actually, unless things have changed, it has NEVER been what the AD thought. If that was the case, we never would have landed Dunton 4 years ago.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
WOW I go to work for a full day and look what happens.
1. What happened to the Barton talk? Only SCAR and SC are talking about it
LU - So if you don't like Dunton, you automatically assume you have your head up Meyer's butt? hmmm
This one intrigues me the most. You say that RD is "following the blueprint for a successful D1 program". Care to elaborate?
It would be interesting to see what your thoughts are on the progress. As for our OOC, the ladies have it down. They WALK through the BS every year so they schedule VERY tough teams OOC. Also, what is "Success" at LU hoops? I do remember RD coming in saying we were going to be a "Perennial top 25 team" and actually do so within 5 years. So does that make us a success or a failure? AG You are right, if the AD had ANY pull over ANYTHING then 1) We wouldn't have had the MH experiment and 2) Would not be so embroiled in the RD tenure.
SCAR - I noticed you did say you were not DISCOURAGED by what you saw but were you ENCOURAGED by what you saw? (Or vice versa, too lazy to scroll down)
One final point on the Zags reference. I do believe they have gone through as many if not more coaches then LU has in that same time frame
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: if the AD had ANY pull over ANYTHING then 1) We wouldn't have had the MH experiment
Wait a minute. I thought Mel was the product of a committee, which led JF to do it on his own when he made the decision to end the Mel error.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:WOW I go to work for a full day and look what happens.
1. What happened to the Barton talk? Only SCAR and SC are talking about it
LU - So if you don't like Dunton, you automatically assume you have your head up Meyer's butt? hmmm
no, I just have my suspicions which I guess should be left out. Consider that gone with the exception of a few cases (like he finds his way back to our humble message board ;))
Purple Haize wrote: This one intrigues me the most. You say that RD is "following the blueprint for a successful D1 program". Care to elaborate?
It would be interesting to see what your thoughts are on the progress.
I think this is what differentiates my thinking and why I'm contsantly arguing with everyone. But on a generic level in a conference such as ours, I think we have to be in the upper tier in the conference annually, then we have to work our way up to winning the conference every year or close to it (much like WU has done), once you have the conference dominated you have to work on your seeding through OOC games. And you can use your imagination from there. Now of course that's just generically how I see it can be done and WU acutally was able to do a few things at once, but Marshall is an exceptional coach. So in my opinion, we are on the right track. The one problem I do have with RD is some gametime coaching things I haven't liked (but hey, in-game coaching is not one of the areas I have a lot of knowledge about), and I think the lack of a consistant roster from year to year is hurting us more than we like to believe.

Purple Haize wrote:As for our OOC, the ladies have it down. They WALK through the BS every year so they schedule VERY tough teams OOC.
True but Men's basketball is not Women's basketball. It's a different animal. And frankly, one that I don't care about.

Purple Haize wrote: Also, what is "Success" at LU hoops? I do remember RD coming in saying we were going to be a "Perennial top 25 team" and actually do so within 5 years. So does that make us a success or a failure?
Yeah, if you beleived that at any point... Brooklyn Bridge, etc. I don't think anybody expected it. It's coach-speak. I guess if you want to go ahead and fire RD for lying, go for it.

Purple Haize wrote: AG You are right, if the AD had ANY pull over ANYTHING then 1) We wouldn't have had the MH experiment and 2) Would not be so embroiled in the RD tenure.
I said that because I think things will be different with a real AD. JB isn't a talking head. I guess it could stay the same but, whatever.

Purple Haize wrote:One final point on the Zags reference. I do believe they have gone through as many if not more coaches then LU has in that same time frame
Are you sure? I'm not too familiar with the zag history so you got me there. I assumed it was always Few.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
alright, I'm never doing that again. Even if pbow can follow it.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
you're right, few came in in '99.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
LUconn....wow. Bengals??? First you rip Gonzaga, then I proved you wrong. Now the Bengals??? By the way I love Palmer and Chad Johnson. Didn't Dunton get fired between 95-2000????? I see the coach as part of the team, and it appears to be the problem.
By mrich
Registration Days Posts
Frankly, winning is the only "positive". Aside from 04, we have done little of that.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
mrich, I know you miss me!!
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
LUconn, it is just hard to understand where you are coming from, when were at the point, we are at in the program. I will be honest, and say that other school are more than likely not worried about us on their schedules. They consider it a push over.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I didn't rip Gonzaga. I don't even think I mentioned them aside from saying something like "gonzaga-like level" or something like that. I don't think you've proved anything wrong. But I see what the difference is between you and me. We both want the program at the same level. We just have different ideas of how to get there.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I hope you guys get this out of your systems so once the season starts we can focus on the games and who we have representing us right now.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Doubt that happens.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Not a chance. Although as the voice of reason, I am trying to straighten these guys out, Sly.

What you might want to do is have a post-mortem thread for the game, and a seperate thread for RD after every game. (If not, every single game thread will deteriorate into a Kool Aid vs Hatorade bash). This way, those who want to talk about just the game can do that, and those who want to throw the coaches to the lions can do that, too). Anyone else have a suggestion on that.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
In case you care, UNC-A lost to a DII as well. We're on UNC-A's level. Great.

And Winthrop is laughing their butts off at us with this one.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
I don't think there will need to be a seperate thread for every game...Maybe he'll be gone before the season ends???

Imagine the Possibilities
By Realist
Registration Days Posts
I think most of the guys on the winthrop board are just having a little fun since the manager guy has been talking about how LU is the most talented team in the conference, which I think is a little crazy even by the most eternal optimist.

I don't think that Barton loss is that big. Just by the sheer number of new faces on LU's team that first game was going to be a work in progress, probably the next few games as well. Marshall always uses those games to run 5 guys in and out, play 4 guards at a time and experiment.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
wait until brew gets back. i still think we are the most talented team.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
What excuse will you use if they don't do good after Brew gets back?
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
i didn't have an excuse for us losing to barton. i won't have any excuse.

i don't know if you have ever seen brew play.. but he's the real deal. the people on the winthrop board seems to think that he is just average
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]