If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
jmdickens wrote:I guess you guys didn't listen to what I was saying.

PAmedic"You made your (collective) point(s)- many of us here simply just disagree with you."

basically you are saying I am RIGHT, but you just don't want to admit you are wrong. There is no complaining, I just want us to win every game. Oh, Coach bashing happened at N.C. State. They had a good coach and they always criticized him, we're not even close to being on that level.
WOW, that was a S T R E T C H.

let me re-phrase that for ya:

"You voiced your opinion and I respect your right to do so, however I MOST CERTAINLY, VEHEMENTLY AND WHOLEHEARTEDLY DISAGREE WITH YOUR CONCLUSION!.

I hope we are clear!
What are you trying to say? And who called me Boy?
Good point about the risk v reward, I have to agree with that. Wished it HAD paid off but it didnt! Life goes on and the 06 07 season will be fun again.
Just b/c you are critical does not mean you don't support the program or want to see it succeed.
Have I gotten that old that someone doesn't know what a "Kool Aid" reference is? At least I still REMEMBER being in 7th grade!
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
brokeback actually made some good points! :shock: I know, I know 8)
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
For all the hype this team is getting about next year, we better have a record with atleast 15-20 wins.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like we got some haterade going around the boards...and looks like Mr Dickens here has guzzled a 3 liter
By Guest
ZING! nice one
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
jmdickens wrote:For all the hype this team is getting about next year, we better have a record with atleast 15-20 wins.
your right, sorry for being excited....hey guys, let's try to tone it down :roll:
By Guest
intheknow's post in baseball is right on time!
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I would like to think that 15-20 wins is definitely achievable. It seems that we have really adressed some areas that were problems last year: PG, the post, and depth.

With the acquisition of Brew and B.J. the pg spot should be taken care of. With Alex, Armon, and Tyler joining Russ and Rell the post shouldn't hurt us, it might actually help us. Also, all these new guys mixed in with the few returning we should be legitimately 9 or 10 deep.

Yes, all the turnover in the last 4 years is a negative, but as stated above, some of these were needed because they didn't pan out.

As true Flamefans, we should support RD and crew, and trust them to lead us in the future.
By Guest
Not all turnover is negative. Outside looking in is always tough to see cause and effect. If we start with
the accurate premesis that it is difficult. It will help us to maintain a better understanding and no one will even need to be drinking kool-aid. Let's pray and support like a team capable of 15-20 wins. We just might get it.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I guess I should have been more clear, I didn't mean all the turnover was negative, but I meant having that much turnover in 4 years is a negative.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
i know this board does have some haters. Yeah, I write about problems, and everyone hates on it. You guys can write about the future, but the present is important. I do support the basketball team, but you can't get respect and support until you have done something to deserve it.
By Guest
you have a hard time respecting the respectable let alone the borderline incredible. 23-9 in any league 15-1 at home over a two year period has been stated on numberous occasions by many. Yes a tough 05-06 year. So you can't just ride that nothing has been done. Why don't you recognize what has been done. And the positives coming from the team and staff.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
jmdickens wrote: I do support the basketball team, but you can't get respect and support until you have done something to deserve it.
I don't know you personally, but I'm willing to bet you've been around the program less than a decade. To look at one year- or even 2 or 3 years- that YOU'VE PERSONALLY been around the school or the program, and then make a sweeping generalization about how Liberty BBall hasn't earned YOUR respect is stunningly egocentric.

It may surprise you to know that a Divison 1 athletic program doesn't need to earn your respect. The sacrifices of the coaching staff and players, past and present, speak for themselves. We maintain underlying respect for LU athletics because of the history over the last 30 years- not because of what's been achieved during your time on the mountain.

You should sit and talk to SCAR or other guys that have been around the program (and the block!) a while to get a better feel for the situation.

No offense- just felt you needed a little perspective here.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Anonymous wrote:you have a hard time respecting the respectable let alone the borderline incredible. 23-9 in any league 15-1 at home over a two year period has been stated on numberous occasions by many. Yes a tough 05-06 year. So you can't just ride that nothing has been done. Why don't you recognize what has been done. And the positives coming from the team and staff.

I think there was a lot in this statement that we could/should support.....1 down year isnt a reason to change your outlook and support
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
well, egocentric...man do I sound selfish. No, if you are fine being a second rate program that is fine. That is not the way for me. I do support this team, but anyone who believes our program is on the rise is seriously mistaken.
By intheknow
hang around dickens and we will see who is seriously mistaken. This team can and will GO!!!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
JM, I liked this post of yours better! That's the spirit- stick with THIS! (I knew you could be positive :D )

http://flamefans.com/viewtopic.php?p=10 ... ght=#10352
jmdickens wrote:We have a good chance next season. Just think, if Brewington plays the one or two and Larry the other. Doug at the three instead of the four, and Armon Jones and Rell Porter in the frontcourt. That is a good lineup with scoring options at the 1,2, and 3. Don't forget, run Smith instead of Doug, and you still have another scorer. Doug is a key player, not a role player. There has to be plays set for him to get the ball or his motivation is gone. Larry is going to be Larry, and Brewington is a scorer. Are basic priorities should be rebounding, running our plays, and playing defense. We have a legetimate chance, it comes down to how players respond to the coach.
By pbow
Registration Days Posts
i dont think negative opinions about RD is being unsupportive of the basketball program or him. it's just the truth...dunton is a very good recruiter, he just needs to start making our players improve more and more during their careers here.
By intheknow
you to are not seeing the inside picture of the what opportunities these guys are provided. And
to make a blanket statement is failure to recognize all those who have improved. Have you seen
Smitty, LB, Damien, Alex lately
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
Larry Blair is Larry Blair, I don't think his improvement is because of Dunton. Watch a game, and see what Dunton does. Can someone on this board tell me the style offense our team runs? I support Liberty's basketball team, I just think it could be better with a better coach
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
motion, this past year. but that will change next year
By intheknow
Dickens is entitled to his opinions. He is however just flat out wrong.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
What's he wrong about? You guys are talking this team up like it's going to win 20 and make it to the NCAA tournament. That's well within your rights. Nothing wrong with positive energy from your fan base. But for all this hype, the Flames better produce. That's all he's saying. And I think he wants people to own up if they go the other way and struggle to win 10 games again.

I have my doubts about next year after what I watched this season. That team was a disaster. To go from seven wins to contending for the tournament will be a tall, tall order. I'm going into the season with an open mind, but I would say Armon Jones and Alex McLean are more of unknowns than sure things. How those two develop and how Larry and Brewington co-exist will be the big keys to how this team performs next year.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
This is a good discussion and because it is an open forum it is ok to have dissenting opinions. Chris Lang for example has not seen Liberty play well since he has only been here a year. I don't think this team is gonna do a George Mason next season but I do think they have improved based on what I have seen the past couple of weeks. I have spent some time with the coaches and players this past couple of weeks and I have watched them work out. I believe they are better with Alex McLean and Brewington alone. Let alone if Armon Jones, who will be a freshman, can rebound and play defense like they expect him to. I would like to see another big body get in here and I know they are bringing a couple of guys in soon. I will say that there are a ton of Jrs that they are already in on. Coach D has told me that Alexis Sherrard and Zach Jones have brought more Jrs on campus than ever (I think the rules just changed recently allowing you to do that). I am not predicting how many wins this team will get but I will say that competing for a Big South championship is not an unreasonable goal at this point. It is way too early to tell but I know the attitude and enthusasm is there with the players. After this past season they seem to have a resolve not to have to live through another nightmare like that again.
By intheknow
hey the real intheknow is back, and i hope the imposter finds another moniker. lang is right you better wait, because if you are telling me this next yrs team has more talent than past , and has not played a game together yet can contend for the big south, that may be quite a stretch. also remember what i said earlier, the guy cant coach. also i have had lunch with him more times than any of you guys have had birthdays, and i still believe what i believe about him. i hope and have always hoped that Liberty would have the very best. it deserves that. why would any one want any less. as i have said before it will all play out soon enough.
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]