If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Stephen F. Austin University
Nacogdoches, Texas

SFA Hoops Official Site

Dickies Arena in Fort Worth
Opened in 2019 - Seats 13.300

Kyle Keller
6th Season as SFA Head Coach

2021-2022 Schedule/Results

NOV 09 - LSU-ALEXANDRIA ................................ W 82-73
NOV 11 - MARY HARDIN-BAYLOR ........................ W 76-63
NOV 14 - SOUTH DAKOTA STATE ......................... L 71-83

CANCUN CHALLENGE
NOV 19 - MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE .................. W 87-74
NOV 23 - vs. BUFFALO in CANCUN ...................... W 79-78
NOV 24 - vs, ST LOUIS in CANCUN ....................... L 68-79

NOV 28 - @ NORTHWESTERN ST ......................... W 72-68
DEC 01 - LINCOLN (CA) ........................................ W 90-54
DEC 04 - WILEY .................................................... W 100-76

HALL OF FAME CLASSIC
DEC 11 - vs. LIBERTY in FORT WORTH .................. 6 PM CT

Key Player

#14 Gavin Kensmil
6' 7" 260 lbs Senior Forward from Suriname
Thru 9 Games: Averaging 16.1 Pts, 7.2 Rebs & 2.0 Assists + 63.2 FG%
I admit being jealous of all of the action you have had up in the metroplex this year, jmclaughlin. But starting in two years most fo the Texan action will be down by me. I was hoping to make the run up to check out the Flames and the new arena. But eight hours round trip just doesn't work with everyone going on this close to Christmas.
jmclaughlin liked this
Sly Fox wrote: December 8th, 2021, 10:22 am I admit being jealous of all of the action you have had up in the metroplex this year, jmclaughlin. But starting in two years most fo the Texan action will be down by me. I was hoping to make the run up to check out the Flames and the new arena. But eight hours round trip just doesn't work with everyone going on this close to Christmas.
What if I throw in Railhead BBQ on me??
Let the record show that we are officially still scheduled to play them again on the afternoon of New Years Eve. But I seriously doubt we would play two games against them. carver already attracts way too much attention for their school enrollment of aorund 30 or so having a team that plays DI schools.

As for the game today, I won't be making the drive up. I try not to rock the boat with Mrs. Sly this close to Christmas.
Sly Fox wrote: December 11th, 2021, 10:43 am Let the record show that we are officially still scheduled to play them again on the afternoon of New Years Eve. But I seriously doubt we would play two games against them. carver already attracts way too much attention for their school enrollment of aorund 30 or so having a team that plays DI schools.

As for the game today, I won't be making the drive up. I try not to rock the boat with Mrs. Sly this close to Christmas.
Wussie.
Sly Fox wrote: December 11th, 2021, 1:53 pm Without a FloSports subscription, this feels like the old days when I would follow Jerry Edwards & stat trackers for games. Now we are blessed with the dulcid tones of Alan York and much more sophisticated statistics:

LFSN Audio Stream

Live Stats
Welcome to my world. I traded access to fiberoptic cable for a view of the Caribbean and Catalina Island offshore, and my wireless service, which promises 5mb/sec doesn't come close, so no video streaming (after shelling out for a VPN.) Turns out I need it anyway for the new audio arrangement with MBB, so it wasn't a total waste.
We're just not that good of a team.
Was excited to be able see the boys in person. Dickies is a great arena but was relatively empty. < than 1,000 for sure

Positives first:
great group of kids! All support each other, great chemistry. Represent LU and more importantly Christ very well!
Lots of building blocks. The Freshmen are legit and will all be in the mix when RM tightens the rotation in conf play.
Just wasn’t our night on O. Shots wouldn’t fall from the outside and just didn’t compete in the 2nd half but overall we played good enough to win.

The real:
SFA was a tough matchup for us. A solid point guard who controlled tempo (we do not have that). Athletic Bigs (this is our glaring hole). They have a good team.

Rode’s future is in coaching, not on the floor. The obvious his inability to connect on open looks. SFA was leaving him open, baiting him to shoot. He did. However, the biggest struggle is his inability to execute the simple. He is in the right position, makes the right play, until he doesn’t. Meaning, he fails to secure a ball on a rebound or bobbles a swing pass because his hands just won’t cooperate.

Preston is almost the same as above but it just seems his processor is a tic slow. Mistimes his jumps and is slow on rotations. When he is pitted against an athletic big, they know they have the green light. On the O end he just lacks the confidence to finish strong. It was the difference in the game tonight. His minutes will be throttled back unless we play against a weak big. Abii is finally getting more minutes and hopefully that helps both players.

Careless turnovers. We had at least 8 tonight that were senseless. McGhee struggles with trying create as a ball handler. DJ will have to grow up quickly.

All things considered, this team plays hard and are 100% bought in. Said it before, say it again, we have the right horse trainer and a great stable, now just need the right horses.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm that[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]