If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Is this the best Liberty MBB team of all-time?

27
57%
4
9%
13
28%
3
6%
By Equinox
#575109 UCLA and now this on prime time TV ?!?! Ian and Jr. have to re-do McKay's contract reallllllll fast, because my dude can coach his a$% off and will have a lot calls from AD's with vacant positions needing a quality coach.
By rtb72
#575173 Yes! And I believe Coach McKay may be one of the most composed coaches I have ever seen. It is apparent in how this team addresses adversity on the court. Last night, I watched the team get shutdown in the paint. Block after block. They never showed any frustration or intimidation, they just kept going at their pace and playing their game. The same was revealed in the ASUN championship against Lipscomb....they just kept finding away and endured over and over. I could not be any prouder of our team than I am of them now.....in both their performance and tenacity, as well as their demeanor and composure.
By oldflame
#575281
TH Spangler wrote:
Is this the best Liberty team of all-time?


Lets not forget the ladies trip to the sweet 16 in 2005. Beat Penn State 78–70 and DePaul 88–79 before losing to #1 LSU.


I guess it could have been clarified in the thread heading, but this is in the MBB forum, and I thought it was pretty clear we were talking specifically about the best men's basketball team. If you opened it up to all sports, I would argue our 2012 golf team, which finished 10th in the NCAA finals, takes the honor.
By LUDad
#575285
oldflame wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:
Is this the best Liberty team of all-time?


Lets not forget the ladies trip to the sweet 16 in 2005. Beat Penn State 78–70 and DePaul 88–79 before losing to #1 LSU.


I guess it could have been clarified in the thread heading, but this is in the MBB forum, and I thought it was pretty clear we were talking specifically about the best men's basketball team. If you opened it up to all sports, I would argue our 2012 golf team, which finished 10th in the NCAA finals, takes the honor.


BINGO! And if anyone has not been watching, the current golf team has the talent to get by the regionals and into the nationals. Might take a few breaks to get to the televised finals.
By oldflame
#575295
ballcoach15 wrote:Best LU team (all sports) was women's BB that made it to Sweet 16. #2 is last year's softball team. #3 is the baseball team that made it to Regional Finals at South Carolina in 2013, I believe it was.


You could make an argument for the 2005 WBB team. The others you mention don't stack up based on what they did in post season. For a baseball or softball team to compare with golf going to national finals, they would need to at least win a game or 2 in the super regionals. That golf team came within a couple of strokes of being in the 8 team match play round, which would be equal to making the CWS.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#575648
oldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:
JK37 wrote:We would have to agree on what criteria we’re using to define “Best”. Success? Talent?



NCAA tournament success.


Well, that settles it then. Right? :roll:


By that criteria it is not
User avatar
By BJWilliams
#575658 If you look at the season body of work for the two teams:

2004/05 Lady Flames
Record 26-7
Conference Record 13-1
Quality wins: 3 (Kansas State, Penn St, and DePaul )

2018/19 Flames
Record: 29-7
Conference Record: 14-2
Quality Wins: 3 (UCLA, Lipscomb, Mississippi State

I was there running the production for most of the Lady Flames run, but I would have to rank this past season's men's squad as better even though they only got to the second.round
By oldflame
#575662
BJWilliams wrote:If you look at the season body of work for the two teams:

2004/05 Lady Flames
Record 26-7
Conference Record 13-1
Quality wins: 3 (Kansas State, Penn St, and DePaul )

2018/19 Flames
Record: 29-7
Conference Record: 14-2
Quality Wins: 3 (UCLA, Lipscomb, Mississippi State

I was there running the production for most of the Lady Flames run, but I would have to rank this past season's men's squad as better even though they only got to the second.round


We beat Lipscomb twice, but I would still say 3 quality wins. As much of a landmark as the UCLA win was, they weren't very good this year. and finished 120 in the NET. Count them, and IMHO you also need to count GA State, who finished 1 spot below them at 121.
By Ewglenn
#575734
oldflame wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:If you look at the season body of work for the two teams:

2004/05 Lady Flames
Record 26-7
Conference Record 13-1
Quality wins: 3 (Kansas State, Penn St, and DePaul )

2018/19 Flames
Record: 29-7
Conference Record: 14-2
Quality Wins: 3 (UCLA, Lipscomb, Mississippi State

I was there running the production for most of the Lady Flames run, but I would have to rank this past season's men's squad as better even though they only got to the second.round


We beat Lipscomb twice, but I would still say 3 quality wins. As much of a landmark as the UCLA win was, they weren't very good this year. and finished 120 in the NET. Count them, and IMHO you also need to count GA State, who finished 1 spot below them at 121.


Well the NET rankings were horrible so there’s that.