If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.
By cruzan_flame13
rogers3 wrote:Silly question, but will we just switch schedules with USC Upstate?

Good question but i wouldn't think so since we're not the only school joining the A-SUN for 2018-19 year.
By Sly Fox
#551839 For all intents & purposes, it did turn out to be a swap. Not a very equitable trade, but a trade nonetheless.
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote:For all intents & purposes, it did turn out to be a swap. Not a very equitable trade, but a trade nonetheless.

True; even Northern Alabama was a better deal for the A-SUN than keeping USC Upstate.
By WinthropEagleFan
#551844 There's a lot of talk about how bad Upstate is in basketball in this thread..and last year was awful. It was also a season that saw their long time head coach retire 5 weeks before the season started and with other turmoil going on in the athletic department (which led to their AD getting fired less than a year after he got the job). Not saying they are a long term great program (their facility will limit them in that respect), but I think judging them on this latest season is possibly a mistake. They had a four year stretch not that long ago (2012-15) where they finished in the Top 200 in KenPom...that may not sound like much, but the only Big South team to accomplish four straight years of Top 200 KenPom finishes in the last 15 years has been Winthrop (they are on a current four year run...and also did it 2005-08). Asheville has never done it (they are on a 3 year stretch now), Coastal never did it...most Big South teams have never even strung together two such seasons like that over the last 15 years (Liberty, Radford, Campbell, Gardner-Webb, Longwood, PC, and you can even throw VMI in there as well). Of the current ASUN teams, FGCU is on a 6 year run of top 200 finishes and Lipscomb also did 6 straight years in the past (2006-11)...

Will Upstate return to that level? Who knows..they have a new coach (and a new AD), and they are coming off a historically bad season, but their program isn't that far removed from a pretty solid run of decent basketball, so they are probably a safer bet to be at least decent than some other schools in the Big South and ASUN (including a transitional D2 school like North Alabama).
By oldflame
#552016 McKay´s camping season starts Monday, which I believe means most, if not all of the team will be arriving to help out. Summer classes have already started.
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote:McKay´s camping season starts Monday, which I believe means most, if not all of the team will be arriving to help out. Summer classes have already started.

The camps will be even more beneficial for us when the stadium is here in 2020 Lord willing.
By Cider Jim
#552632 According to the local paper, Zach Farquhar was awarded another year of eligibility and offered another year of scholarship. Game On even did a short video about it that involved the LUPD:

https://www.facebook.com/gameonlu/video ... 536514018/
By flamehunter
Cider Jim wrote:According to the local paper, Zach Farquhar was awarded another year of eligibility and offered another year of scholarship. Game On even did a short video about it that involved the LUPD:

https://www.facebook.com/gameonlu/video ... 536514018/

So he gets to celebrate two senior nights for his career. I bet that's a first.
By oldflame
#552866 Freshmen have arrived and the whole team is now in town.

https://twitter.com/LibertyMBB/status/1 ... 3724736513

The one player missing from the picture is Georgie Pacheco, who was in Lynchburg earlier. I can only speculate he is now with the Puerto Rican national team.
By oldflame
#553383 I have no idea why, but strangely enough, after awarding our last schollie for this season to Zack Farquar (complete with video of the elaborate prank they pulled off to inform him posted on twitter), the roster has been updated, and Zack is not on it.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 9&teamID=6

BTW, Georgie must have been unavailable for some reason when the picture I posted earlier was taken. He is with the team, which would seem to indicate he is not going to be involved with team Puerto Rico this summer.

https://twitter.com/Georgie_126/status/ ... 0494829570
By Cider Jim
#553561 Great article about Gumbs in today's paper:

Maturity, leadership and all-in-for-the-team disposition were the first things McKay said of Gumbs before adding, “He’s got a utility belt,” referencing the DC Comics character Batman “because [Gumbs] can do a lot of different things.”

...“I played on the wing my whole time at Schreiner,” Gumbs said before Tuesday’s practice. “I was definitely sometimes probably the second tallest dude on the court at times, but for the most part there are some bigger dudes out there, but it’s not like Division I where you’ve got a 6-10 freshman [Blake Preston] and a 7-2 sophomore [Brendan Newton]. It’s not like that. I’m used to playing on the wing. Here we go four guards sometimes, too, so it’s nothing that I’m not used to.”

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libe ... b70e3.html
By oldflame
#553565 Coming from a D3 program, I was surprised to see how seriously jacked Gumbs is. He definatly likes everyone to know the ¨gun show¨ is in town when his picture is taken. 8) That alone doesn´t mean much except it´s unlikely he will be pushed around, but apparently he has plenty of game to go with it. If Newton and Preston are ready to contribute, this could be the deepest in talent we have ever been.
By Cider Jim
#553566 I attended one of the basketball camps this summer, and Gumbs was always smiling ear to ear. He seems like such a positive force on the team. And, yeah, his "guns" look like Ralph Sampson's in his prime at UVa.
By oldflame
Cider Jim wrote:I attended one of the basketball camps this summer, and Gumbs was always smiling ear to ear. He seems like such a positive force on the team. And, yeah, his "guns" look like Ralph Sampson's in his prime at UVa.

When I first heard we were recruiting Keenan, I did a search and found an interview he did which I posted here. You could tell justfrom that he was a smart, funny and articulate young man who was loving life.
By oldflame
A Sea of Red wrote:Newcomers hope to push Flames over the top

http://www.aseaofred.com/newcomers-hope ... r-the-top/

I know he has been on campus for a year, but having redshirted, Brendan Newton will also be a newcomer to the lineup, and he may have the biggest impact of all of them.
By Cider Jim
oldflame wrote:Brendan Newton...may have the biggest impact of all of them.

:nod :clapping
By Purple Haize
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:Brendan Newton...may have the biggest impact of all of them.

:nod :clapping

To me he’s the player I’m most interested to watch
By R i
#553626 Brendan can be good in a packline defense as a rim protector. Will we be able to hide him in the offense, setting screens, not clogging up the middle, and getting his points on the offensive boards ? I seriously doubt it.

I think he will be a good player, but not this year. Not enough of an impact offensively. Teams already average like 37 points against us, how much of a defensive impact can Brendan make ? Offensively its just not there for him.
By oldflame
R i wrote:Brendan can be good in a packline defense as a rim protector. Will we be able to hide him in the offense, setting screens, not clogging up the middle, and getting his points on the offensive boards ? I seriously doubt it.

I think he will be a good player, but not this year. Not enough of an impact offensively. Teams already average like 37 points against us, how much of a defensive impact can Brendan make ? Offensively its just not there for him.

Tell that to VCU.

Having a rim protector would enable us to play the pack line the way it is actually intended. What we have been doing is somewhat of a modified version. We would not have to help as much on players driving to the hoop, which improves perimeter defense, which is what often killed us last year.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:Brendan can be good in a packline defense as a rim protector. Will we be able to hide him in the offense, setting screens, not clogging up the middle, and getting his points on the offensive boards ? I seriously doubt it.

Unless he's significantly developed, this is where I stand. Coming out of high school, the report I heard from people who saw him up close is that he was a project but could be a contributor as an upperclassman. That'll continue to be my expectation until I see otherwise.
By Cider Jim
#553645 The other 7-footer that verbaled with us who had the Oral Roberts offer, where did he end up going and how did he do his first year? (Sorry, but I can't remember his name).
By oldflame
Cider Jim wrote:The other 7-footer that verbaled with us who had the Oral Roberts offer, where did he end up going and how did he do his first year? (Sorry, but I can't remember his name).

Hayden Koval ended up at Central Arkansas. He started as a Freshman last year and finished 3rd in the nation in blocked shots. He wanted to come to Liberty, but we didn´t have a scholarship for him because we signed Josiah Talbert. Obviously a recruiting mis-judgement.
By Class of 20Something
#553654 I think rebounds on both ends of the court could have changed the outcomes of a lot of games. If you add 3 offensive boards and defensive boards per game, it absolutely closes the gap in a lot of the games we've played.

Remember, every board you get takes away from your opponent. Someone is going to get the rebound.

Look at the company we would be in if we increase our rebound margin per game from 3.8 to 6.0.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-m ... eam/151/p1
By oldflame
Class of 20Something wrote:I think rebounds on both ends of the court could have changed the outcomes of a lot of games. If you add 3 offensive boards and defensive boards per game, it absolutely closes the gap in a lot of the games we've played.

Remember, every board you get takes away from your opponent. Someone is going to get the rebound.

Look at the company we would be in if we increase our rebound margin per game from 3.8 to 6.0.

This is one of the reasons I am optomistic that we can take a step up this coming year. We had a very solid rebounding team last year playing Scottie and Myo, who are both really PFs in the post. We have added 2 legit post players who were dominant rebounders in HS. Blake Preston averaged over 11 rpg his senior year and Brendan Newton over 14.

People are quick to dismiss Brendan´s numbers because he played in a weak conference in HS, but that is somewhat misleading. Because Faith Christian was so dominant in their conference, many of their games were blowouts, and Brendan often spent the entire second half being the world´s tallest cheerleader. They did play some tougher competition OOC however, with some interesting results. Look at what Brendan did in the prestigious Washington Tournament of Champions his Senior year.

https://washingtontofc.org/records/tour ... ournament/

The record for total rebounds in this tourney is 59, which was over 4 games, for an average of 14.8. Brendan had 52 in only 3 games, for an average of 17.3, which is the tournament record by over 2 rpg. Look at that list and you see the most recognizable name is Zion Williamson, but among the other players who have competed in the WTOC are DeMarcus Aldridge and Anthony Davis.

If Brendan and/or Blake can step up and earn substantial minutes, allowing Scottie and Myo to play PF and with Homesly or Gumbs at the SF, I really believe we can be a dominant rebounding team, and our interior defense will also be a lot stronger.
By Lion1983
#553708 Hi, North Alabama fan here.

Just like to say how excited everyone I have talked to is about going into the A-Sun with Liberty. Liberty is a well respected school in my area.

One thing I have noticed when the A-Sun schedule is announced for y'all is it says North Alabama is not eligible for any postseason tournaments, that is just for NCAA tournaments, we are eligible for A-Sun tournament and championships. If y'all have any questions about UNA or the Florence/Shoals area, feel free to ask. Looking forward to possibly making some trips to your outstanding campus.
By Sly Fox
#553718 Welcome to the board, Lion1983. Glad to see you were able to get registered. We will be learning quite a bit about a bunch of schools at once just like you all. It certainly adds some spice to the upcoming season.
By R i
Class of 20Something wrote:I think rebounds on both ends of the court could have changed the outcomes of a lot of games. If you add 3 offensive boards and defensive boards per game, it absolutely closes the gap in a lot of the games we've played.

A few rebounds per game is not worth the cog in the wheel he would be to an already dismal offense.
By oldflame
#553756 Please don´t use expressions if you do not know their meaning. Being a ¨cog in the wheel¨ is not even remotely a bad thing. Since you didn´t say, I´m guessing you were referring to Newton. Fact is, none of us know yet how effective he will be on offense this year, but I for one look at the fact that in his brief stint against VCU he was able to catch the ball in the post 4 times, score 5 points and draw 4 fouls in a little over 2 minutes as a positive sign. He has had a year to develop since then. If he turns out to be a ¨wrench in the works¨ on offense, he won´t play a lot. A cog in the wheel and he absolutely will.
By Cider Jim
oldflame wrote:...draw 4 fouls in a little over 2 minutes as a positive sign.

Oldflame, is that a positive as well? With all due respect, I think Purple and BJ could both do that, even in their advanced ages. :oldhag :oldhag
By oldflame
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:...draw 4 fouls in a little over 2 minutes as a positive sign.

Oldflame, is that a positive as well? With all due respect, I think Purple and BJ could both do that, even in their advanced ages. :oldhag :oldhag

He didn´t commit the fouls, he drew them. Brendan was catching the ball down low, and the 6´9¨ 245 FR trying to guard him was apparently overmatched,so he fouled.
By oldflame
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don't know that I put much stock in two minutes of a meaningless preseason game.

I merely said it was a positive sign, as in way better than if he had turned the ball over every time they passed it to him in the post and committed 4 fouls. I think it´s at least as relevant as 3rd hand reports from people who talked to someone who talked to someone else who saw him 3 years ago in high school and say his only skill is being tall. I also made a point of saying we really don´t know how effective he is going to be on offensive this year (although some people seem to think they do.)

As far as the game being ¨meaningless¨ is concerned, while technically correct for any exibition game, I think VCU had a ton of incentive to not be embarassed in front of their home crowd against an in state opponent considered to be on a lower level.
Last edited by oldflame on July 11th, 2018, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
#553771 I'm not sure what third hand information you're talking about. Everything I've heard about him that I put any stock in is directly from people who have been in the gym and/or on the floor at the same time.
By oldflame
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm not sure what third hand information you're talking about. Everything I've heard about him that I put any stock in is directly from people who have been in the gym and/or on the floor at the same time.

Excuse my hyperbole. Second hand, and at least 2 years old if not more.
By Jonathan Carone
#553773 But if he was a project coming into college based on multiple years of high school and AAU play, why would we expect him to be a significant contributor on a 20-win team after only a year of development where we've only seen him for two minutes in a preseason game? Has he improved that much in a year? Do we have any proof of that?

I think the kid will be a solid contributor before he's done here, but I've never understood why you were so much higher on him than pretty much everyone else even going back to high school.
By oldflame
Jonathan Carone wrote:But if he was a project coming into college based on multiple years of high school and AAU play, why would we expect him to be a significant contributor on a 20-win team after only a year of development where we've only seen him for two minutes in a preseason game? Has he improved that much in a year? Do we have any proof of that?

I think the kid will be a solid contributor before he's done here, but I've never understood why you were so much higher on him than pretty much everyone else even going back to high school.

I´m quite frankly surprised that you wouldn´t understand why our staff looked at Brendan differently than some others. It seems quite obvious to me. Instead of just a really tall kid with some basketball upside who may or may not be a ¨project¨as a player, they also saw that he was a young christian man whos background, character and attitude made him a perfect fit for the culture of our program.
By Jonathan Carone
#553778 I totally understand why they locked in on him and wanted him as part of the team. I'm thrilled he's in the program and think he can be a really solid contributor on the court his junior and senior year.

I'm asking basketball wise - what makes you think he's going to be a great contributor this year? You keep throwing out the idea that he'll be an important part of the team on the floor but we haven't seen any reason why.
By jinxy
#553779 He can help defensively. Offensively is unknown. I would temper expectations for this year. I cant see more than 10 to 12 min a game unless james or bell go down. He will battle preston for time i would think.

Could def see price redshirting.
By oldflame
Jonathan Carone wrote:I totally understand why they locked in on him and wanted him as part of the team. I'm thrilled he's in the program and think he can be a really solid contributor on the court his junior and senior year.

I'm asking basketball wise - what makes you think he's going to be a great contributor this year? You keep throwing out the idea that he'll be an important part of the team on the floor but we haven't seen any reason why.

Actually, no. Everything I have suggested as to possible contributions either Brendan or Blake Preston might make on the court this year has been said with the caviat that they would have to earn the minutes. It´s clear that Ritchie is looking to go bigger. Why else would he recruit these guys? We also know that he has no problem staying with a smaller lineup if he believes that is what gives us the best chance to win.
By oldflame
jinxy wrote:He can help defensively. Offensively is unknown. I would temper expectations for this year. I cant see more than 10 to 12 min a game unless james or bell go down. He will battle preston for time i would think.

Could def see price redshirting.

IMHO the only way Price plays this year is if he is absolutely shooting lights out and the other shooters we are looking at to take up the slack for the loss of Kemrite are just not getting it done. I think we will be fine with McDowell, Gumbs and McGhee, and that will give Josh a year to finish growing and work with Henry to develop a D1 body.
By R i
#553790 My b about the 'cog in the wheel'. What I meant to say is, basketball is changing. No longer do you play inside out, you play outside out. Passing around the perimeter until someone has an open driving lane or an open three. I wish our offense a little more developed and comprehensive some times, but its not. Brendan does not fit that type of offense and will hold things up and slow things down.

Clog up the middle, is probably the expression I was searching for.
By Cider Jim
R i wrote:Clog up the middle, is probably the expression I was searching for.

Isn't that what you want on defense, esp. the pack line that McKay runs?
By ballah09
Sly Fox wrote:Welcome to the board, Lion1983. Glad to see you were able to get registered. We will be learning quite a bit about a bunch of schools at once just like you all. It certainly adds some spice to the upcoming season.

speaking of which. Shouldn't we update the Big South boards over to the ASun in the non sports section?
By R i
Cider Jim wrote:
R i wrote:Clog up the middle, is probably the expression I was searching for.

Isn't that what you want on defense, esp. the pack line that McKay runs?

Clogging up the middle on the offensive end is not a positive.